Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:21:30 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Visa app / card  (Read 538 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 04:35:01 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2015, 04:50:37 PM by spazzdla

Visa or others could help with the transaction # problem.  A company could accept BTC directly and also accept it via VISA but only get it paid out once or twice a day to keep the transactions down.

Visa would have to become like a bitcoin "bank" though.  As you would put your BTC into your VISA account and spend it like you normally would except VISA starts agreements with companies to pay them out once or twice a day.  The draw for this could be each transaction a VISA user does costs a lot less to do than on the bitcoin blockchain.

I dunno.. probably suggested before but ya lol.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 04:37:06 PM

This has nothing to do with a sidechain.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 04:39:42 PM

This has nothing to do with a sidechain.

LIke the title says, what would you call it.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 04:42:46 PM

LIke the title says.................
The title directly implies that it has at least some similarities with sidechains, which it doesn't. If you're trying to say that it does not, then applying the word 'sidechain' is redundant.

Even though your suggestion has potential, was not one of the points of Bitcoin to get rid of 3rd party control (e.g. banks, companies, etc.)? I don't think I'd like Visa handling my money nor being able to see what I do with it. Your suggestion does seem a lot like a Bitcoin debit card; what would be the difference between those cards and your suggestion?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 04:50:18 PM

LIke the title says.................
The title directly implies that it has at least some similarities with sidechains, which it doesn't. If you're trying to say that it does not, then applying the word 'sidechain' is redundant.

Even though your suggestion has potential, was not one of the points of Bitcoin to get rid of 3rd party control (e.g. banks, companies, etc.)? I don't think I'd like Visa handling my money nor being able to see what I do with it. Your suggestion does seem a lot like a Bitcoin debit card; what would be the difference between those cards and your suggestion?

That's prolly what I should call it, Bitcoin Visa card or app.. hum.. yes more accurate.

___

Well you still have the opition with bitcoin.  Sure you can use cash in person with the current banking system but online the only way to send money without getting appoved by the banks is crypto.

I guess I see you're point though.  Bitcoin should be ready to go and ready for use without having to get a third party involved.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 04:52:09 PM

That's prolly what I should call it, Bitcoin Visa card or app.. hum.. yes more accurate.
There already are a few Bitcoin Debit cards in existence; are you aware of this?

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 04:53:13 PM

There already are a few Bitcoin Debit cards in existence; are you aware of this?

I thought they are only usable in the US.
Lauda
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2015, 04:58:55 PM

That is wrong. Of course there are some limitations that vary from company to company (e.g. XAPO - List of countries that will not work). However, they can be used in a lot of countries all over the world. I know from the local section that I moderate that people have been successfully using it in Croatia.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:06:42 PM

Op, you realize that if you link services like VISA money transfer to bitcoin then bitcoin will lost its sovereign status and basically become slave of corporations and banks?
We don't want this scenerio to happen, in fact we, as bitcoin community should to opt for total adoption without compromises.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:12:29 PM

Visa or others could help with the transaction # problem.  A company could accept BTC directly and also accept it via VISA but only get it paid out once or twice a day to keep the transactions down.

Visa would have to become like a bitcoin "bank" though.  As you would put your BTC into your VISA account and spend it like you normally would except VISA starts agreements with companies to pay them out once or twice a day.  The draw for this could be each transaction a VISA user does costs a lot less to do than on the bitcoin blockchain.

I dunno.. probably suggested before but ya lol.

Yeah it sounds good but commonsense dosn't prevail in modern life.  Asking visa to start accepting bitcoin on their cards would have been like asking Altavista to use google on there site back in the day.  Bitcoin is meant to shake this whole system up, not work along side it.  Theres a great video by andreas antonopoulus on youtube.  just type in bubble boy and sewer rat,  it pretty much sums it all up.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 05:28:43 PM

That is wrong. Of course there are some limitations that vary from company to company (e.g. XAPO - List of countries that will not work). However, they can be used in a lot of countries all over the world. I know from the local section that I moderate that people have been successfully using it in Croatia.

I think more recently Coinbase has started a debit card but this is for the US only, there are also virtual cards which can be found I am not sure on the restrictions of virtual cards if any as I would assume as they will be used online that there would not be any restrictions?
JeWay

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 04, 2015, 09:52:46 PM

That's why, every merchant should accept Bitcoin rather than Prepaid Cards
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: