Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 04:28:37 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't delete my QT wallet  (Read 1200 times)
AndreyE (OP)

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:26:55 PM

I found ALL "bitcoin" folders and files and deleted them. ALL(!).
Unistalled etc. Still when re-installing I see damn wallet!
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 01:50:53 PM

The wallet is in Bitcoin's data directory in your OS's application data (which on Windows is hidden by default). See more details at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
AndreyE (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:02:51 PM

I knew that, and that was deleted also.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 02:11:54 PM

I knew that, and that was deleted also.
Are you sure you're seeing your old wallet, and not a newly created wallet?

If so what you are describing is strange and you need to provide some more information - OS, whether you're using a non-default data directory, bitcoin-qt version (you're using bitcoin-qt right?), screenshot, etc.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
AndreyE (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:17:22 PM

latest QT
win7 64bit
I keep seeing wallet address in "receive coins"
That's old wallet. I had two of them. One disappeared after deleting all the folders. And one stays.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 02:21:39 PM

latest QT
win7 64bit
I keep seeing wallet address in "receive coins"
That's old wallet. I had two of them. One disappeared after deleting all the folders. And one stays.
A wallet is a collection of addresses (and associated data). You can't delete addresses from a wallet without special tools such as PyWallet. So it is highly unlikely that you have the same wallet but one address was deleted from it.

The best explanation by far is that this is a new wallet with a new address.

Please do the following:
1. Write down the displayed address.
2. Quit bitcoin-qt.
3. Delete wallet.dat.
4. Run bitcoin-qt.
5. You should now have an address in "Receive coins" which is different from the one you wrote down, indicating that you now have a brand new wallet.

Do this only if there are no coins in the wallet. Deleting a wallet.dat file with coins in it causes a loss of those coins! (This warning is not only for you but for any random observers.)

AndreyE (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 02:27:12 PM

Lol, yes it's a new one.
But how do I create a more secure password like in armory, when I can set like 60 secs and 128MB and maybe more than 100 private keys?
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:01:28 PM

Lol, yes it's a new one.
But how do I create a more secure password like in armory, when I can set like 60 secs and 128MB and maybe more than 100 private keys?
I don't know of a weakness with Bitcoin-qt's wallet encryption, assuming you choose a strong password. (Note that any single-factor online wallet is vulnerable to keyloggers.)

Some things can be configured with the GUI and more still with the command line; but if Armory is offering features you need and are not available in Bitcoin-qt, you should use Armory.

AndreyE (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 03:30:37 PM

What do you think will happen to MtGox price over time with new ASIC-arms-race?
Why there is no bitcoin QT for Iphones\Ipads...
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:38:49 PM

What do you think will happen to MtGox price over time with new ASIC-arms-race?
Why there is no bitcoin QT for Iphones\Ipads...
Derailing your own thread?

The advent of ASIC should have very little effect on the BTC exchange rate. The block halving should put upward pressure which is mostly already priced in.

Bitcoin-qt is the reference full node client. iPhones and probably also iPads can't run a full node. In addition Apple appears to ban Bitcoin-related apps. For open mobile devices such as Android you have lightweight- or hybrid- wallet apps such as Bitcoin Wallet and blockchain.info App.

AndreyE (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 03:41:42 PM

my thread has a solution, that's all what neede for search engine, but talking with a wise man is priceless ^)))
Android has many viruses it's not safe at all
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:45:46 PM

my thread has a solution, that's all what neede for search engine, but talking with a wise man is priceless ^)))
I'll take that as a compliment. Smiley

Android has many viruses it's not safe at all
I'm sure some people would disagree with you. I'm not into newfangled smartphone thingies myself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: