Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 03:37:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Stability Under Graphene  (Read 458 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
StanLarimer (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 02:32:57 PM

One of the BitShares witnesses got voted out for some reason.
Here's his swan song...

Now that I'm voted out I can share a secret  Wink

Graphene has been so rock-solid that I was able to scale back my infrastructure to running a single t2.micro (plus a physical machine at home and another t2 ready to spin up in seconds).
Even on this low-end setup CPU utilization is close to zero, RAM is safely at around 60% and no latency issues.
During the two-months I've only had 33 missed blocks, all before the vesting-pay-bug fix. I now only scale up the machines during build.

Now, some witnesses are maintaining several four-core, 8GB machines, and you might think that it's somehow more secure, stable or scalable but the thing is, they have to dump their earned BTS to pay the bill. Meanwhile, I've never sold any BTS and am still able to easily scale up if/when blockchain usage picks up.

Graphene has exceeded expectations in terms of stability and footprint so much, that we ended up overpaying the witnesses. We can easily have twice as many witnesses or slash witness pay by half. And if the Blockchain starts demanding more resources we can always reevaluate.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1431

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 02:51:26 PM

What are 'witnesses'?  Care to explain or point me to a link explaining it?  I'm intruiged.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 05, 2015, 03:45:06 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2015, 04:12:09 PM by CoinHoarder

What are 'witnesses'?  Care to explain or point me to a link explaining it?  I'm intruiged.

Witnesses is "Bitshares 2.0" speak for what was called Delegates in  "Bitshares 1.0". Instead of using PoW or PoS to include transactions in blocks (and therefore validating signatures and timestamping transactions), 101 witnesses are elected by stakeholder vote to do this job for Bitshares. In return, this provides many benefits for Bitshares stakeholders:

A. The costs to secure the blockchain are minimal compared to PoW and PoS coins that require highly inflationary methods to pay people to secure their chains.

B. It allows stakeholders to hire employees for marketing, developing, infrastructure development, user support, etc, and provides a way for them to be paid in a trust-less manner from transaction fees or inflation. The pay rate is set by the delegate and voters keep this in mind when selecting witnesses. A witness that stakeholders deem is doing something very important can set a higher pay rate that adds a small amount of inflation to the currency along with the transaction fees. Thus, allowing the blockchain to fund development of new features.

C. Witnesses publish price feeds for different assets (Bitcoin, Gold, Silver, etc.) which the decentralized market uses in its SmartAsset algorithm to make commodity/FIAT stable currencies via trust-less smart contracts.

D. Because it uses witnesses, dPoS is the most efficient consensus algorithm, which allows for more transactions per second and a quicker (while still being secure) transaction speed than any other cryptocurrency that exists today. The block time is currently set at 3 seconds, and that 3 second block time only requires one block to have a very low probability of the transaction being reversible. Most other coins require you to wait a few to a lot of minutes for multiple blocks to insure the transaction cannot be reversed with high probability. The block speed and transactions per second can further be reduced/increased to just 1 second or up to 100k transactions per second with the proper witness infrastructure (witnesses running high end servers with high bandwidth connections).

E. Witnesses can propose changes to the parameters of the blockchain, which are then reviewed by stakeholders during a 2 week review period. This allows Bitshares the flexibility to easily change transaction fees, block size, block speed, etc... whenever necessary in a democratic way.

F. Since stakeholders vote for witnesses (1 BTS = 1 vote), this allows all stakeholders (big and small) to participate in the governance of the blockchain. That is very unlike most cryptocurrencies a la Bitcoin where the centralized mining conglomerates are the ones that decide if and when changes are made.

I am probably forgetting something... I am obviously a dPoS fan boy and I think it is one of the best inventions in recent years in regards to cryptocurrency consensus algorithms.

More about dPoS and the efficiency of such here:
https://bitshares.org/technology/delegated-proof-of-stake-consensus/
https://bitshares.org/technology/industrial-performance-and-scalability/
https://bitshares.org/blog/2015/06/08/measuring-performance/

More about all Bitshares 2.0 features here:
https://bitshares.org/technology/

EDIT: I knew I was forgetting at least one thing... one very important feature of dPoS is that the rich do not inherently get richer like the other implementations of PoS. Everyone benefits equally from the destruction of transaction fees because everyone owns a larger percentage of the currency supply every time tokens are destroyed.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 09:26:51 AM

This is interesting. Was he talking about https://github.com/cryptonomex/graphene/blob/master/programs/witness_node/main.cpp?
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 10:19:42 PM

I am not sure, my apologies. Bytemaster may be able to point you in the right direction if you ask on the Bitshares forums. I don't think her ever comes here anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: