Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:55:14 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Got You Started With Bitcoin? (ie. Trading, Selling, Mining)  (Read 1338 times)
DoogieHouser (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:09:01 PM

So for all of the Newbies, I am curious to know what got you interested in Bitcoin?

I discovered Bitcoin on a web-site called Occupy The Banks. It promotes cryptocurrencies, like Bitcoin.  I bought some, and later started mining.  In fact, I'm waiting for some new mining equipment from Butterfly Labs...

--Doogie
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:32:37 PM

I was looking for money alternatives after watching the vids in my signature.

ZeoNet

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:43:12 PM

I got interested in Tor, and through that, came across BitCoin.
joe992af

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:46:41 PM

I heard about bitcoin from an article in the CodeProject Newsletter.
nlev

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:16:12 PM

Like I mentioned in another thread I've been watching bitcoins as an idea for quite a while, but was put off by the instability and security problems last year until I understood things better.  Recently decided it was time to get started so here I am !
anaalius

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:41:13 PM

Just hearing about bitcoin on reddit got me curious. Then had a bit of fun winning [then losing] some BTC on satoshidice.
chewie

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 12:30:10 AM

World of Warcraft got me interested in bitcoin mining.  The provider of a service for Warcraft accepted payment in bitcoins, so I started doing research on it.
DoogieHouser (OP)

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 02:09:57 AM

I got interested in Tor, and through that, came across BitCoin.

Tor? Oh yes! I had forgotten that I noticed a lot of Anonymous used Bitcoin.  i think that's what motivated me to read up on it...

--Doogie
DoogieHouser (OP)

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 02:12:08 AM

Like I mentioned in another thread I've been watching bitcoins as an idea for quite a while, but was put off by the instability and security problems last year until I understood things better.  Recently decided it was time to get started so here I am !

Yeah, I read up on it and purchased a small amount just to see how it performed.  Two months later, I was mining.

--Doogie
John_Galt

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 03:49:12 AM

I've been following bitcoin for a little more than a year now. I heard about it sometime after the crash last year.
colindean

Activity: 43

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 04:32:22 AM

I had a computer that I kept on all of the time, and I was looking for something to do with it. I'd done Folding@Home and WCG previously (took a team from last place to in the top 1000 on F@H in just a few months using a cluster I built). I happened upon mentions of Bitcoin on Reddit some time in 2010, but never really got into it until November 2011. It was just something fun to do with the time until a few months ago when I decided to start doing client and site translations. Now, I find myself digging through bitcoind code and considering starting a side project to help the Bitcoin community with yet another SaaS product.
chokesmaster

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 07:11:45 AM

I made a Minecraft server (~10 20 active players) and I accept donations. Since there is people all around the world that come play on my server many of them can't use paypal or credit cards because they either can't have a bank account or a credit card because they are too young or just simply can't...

So i was looking into alternatives and my friend talked about bitcoin and this hook me up Smiley

Here the forum link to get whitelisted if you are interested Smiley http://minecraft.therightguy.info/
DoogieHouser (OP)

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:22:53 AM

More gaming... Cool! I've never been much of a gamer (MMO, or other), but I am amazed at the gaming communities I see... So many of the games are designed not so you pay to play, but you pay to win (ie. upgrades, etc.)

--Doogie
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:49:41 AM

So for all of the Newbies, I am curious to know what got you interested in Bitcoin?
Quote from similar topic:

I'm in for the long term, because I believe Bitcoin will become a major worldwide currency, and I rather start adopting it now that bitcoins are still cheap.

1 BTC is essentially one 21millionth of the future world economy (at least the part that deals with bitcoins, which I expect to become quite a significant portion). I feel just fine having a few thousand units of that in my pocket.

More importantly, I trust Bitcoin:
Because I understand why it's completely safe, secure, fair, anonymous, and neither dependent on nor owned or controlled by a person or company or institution.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
mjusiq

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:38:32 PM

I was reading in the newspaper about the police being conserned about black illegal markets - on the internet using a new currency: Bitcoins. That got me interested. Three days later I did my first successfull Bitcoin transaction.  :-)
DoogieHouser (OP)

Bitcoin Enthusiast

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 01:08:06 PM

I'm guessing you weren't as concerned about black market activity as the police claimed to be?

It makes me laugh... There is a lot more black market activity conducted with cash than Bitcoin...

--Doogie
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 01:11:44 PM

I was doing research for my college IT class and came across it.  Then a friend mentioned because I have solar I should consider it and I have a CPU running most of the time at the house so why not see it do something when I am not on it.  As they say the rest is history.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
kasvag0r1an

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 07:45:48 AM

Think I stumbled across a youtube video of a nice setup of Mining rigs,
just admiring the hardware, and was wondering what exactly they were mining with tons of video cards.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 08:24:45 AM

Heard about it from some mates on IRC
Read a little bit about a p2p currency called "Bitcoin", got fascinated, started mining - had dabbled in p2p projects before, this seems a potential worldchanger - sign me up Cheesy

Wasn't really happy with the options at the time so with the help of a mate opened a pool, seen many pools come and go over the 18months or so. We plan to stay around for the long run Smiley

Welcome to Bitcoin world stay safe and have fun Smiley
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 09:54:00 AM

Welcome.

Of all the places to occupy, banks are low on my list :-)

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: