Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:07:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners Won't Work After Installing New Router?  (Read 683 times)
BitJunkie223 (OP)

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

Vertcoin stealthy master race.

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 12:14:48 AM

So I replaced my old D-Link 54mbps router with a TP-Link 300mbps model. The interface feels easier, and my internet speeds have actually bumped up about 2mbps, so it's a win-win. Except...

The SP20's I had running, are no longer connecting properly. They were working fine on my old router, and I had everything configured right, apparently. I set up the new router to be on the same IP, and subnet mask, and all that stuff, thinking it would be plug and play, and I'd just have to reconnect my two laptops to the network, and the miners would start right back up.

I guess I was wrong... They look for a connection with the flashing green light. In fact, the downstairs unit actually lit up solid green for a period, and when I logged into it, it actually showed it was hashing. The upstairs unit no longer feels like working, and the downstairs one keeps spinning up, but fails to start hashing...

First I went back to both the ethernet and the wireless adapter picking IP automatically, and yes, I did enable DHCP on the router. I bridged them together as normal, and it didn't work.

Next, I set them both to unused static IP's, and bridged them (as I've done before with success) and it didn't work.

Then finally, I set them both to static IP's, then set the bridge's IP manually, and that still didn't work...

At this point, I'm convinced this has to do with a setting on the router, and not so much the settings on my laptops that I'm using as controllers... I did set LAN DNS to 192.168.1.1, the IP of the router, which was always the way I set the DNS in the IPv4 settings for the adapters. It was set to 0.0.0.0, and I thought maybe that was making them not work, but setting the DNS as I normally would at 192.168.1.1 still didn't work...

http://cryptos4all.com - The ultimate cryptocurrency faucet!

BTC: 1Q2RkkSo4LSY1m5Q7JtMLZw1QjV1Lfnmgd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bileq
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 12:23:37 AM

what about gateways? your old d-link interface is 192.168.1.1 too?
if its different u can check sp20's gateway address
other thing routers get dns automaticaly from your isp server, u can use these google nameservers address

BitJunkie223 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 03:55:07 AM

One of the miners set itself to DHCP when I got it. The other was static, and I figured it out, and finally got into it to set it to DHCP, and I didn't have a problem after that.

Yeah, the new router is at 192.168.1.1 like the old router. I can't check anything on the SP20's, because I can't detect them. Well, one was detectable on the network at one point, and then it stopped, which was strange...

So my WAN settings on the router have similar numbers like you gave. Would replacing them with the numbers you supplied help at all? I suppose it could help. I'll give it a try. Smiley

BitJunkie223 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 03:56:31 AM

Oh, and "use these DNS servers" was unchecked, so I guess it was likely using ones automatically? ISP? I changed it to use the ones you supplied. I'll report back if anything changes.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 04:01:17 AM

Oh, and "use these DNS servers" was unchecked, so I guess it was likely using ones automatically? ISP? I changed it to use the ones you supplied. I'll report back if anything changes.

DNS servers should not really effect it.  And ISP for sure wont your miners really are not set by isp but by you or dhcp.

If you know old networking you can set a computer to a static IPV4 address different then miner uses.   Turn off IPV6 during it.  And you should be able to connect from computer to miner just connect with cable.  Again you need to know old network settings used such as gateway, and such.

That being said some ISP routers really suck.  After I got one it blocked at the time a rental site I was using with asics, and also my security system.  Even if all firewall and all rules off on router it blocked it from outside.   I  got them to turn it into "bridged mode" where not that thing just passes internet through and bought a netgear blackhawk which I love to be my Router.

But that is just my feelings on some ISP routers.  It should not be stopping you from seeing other miners.   But if you look at the internet on computer static IP on IPV4 I think you will figure out how to connect to miners assuming you know old network info.
BitJunkie223 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 04:23:46 AM

Changing my DNS to the ones bileq gave actually made me unable to connect to here, or some other sites so I unchecked it and let the router assign it automatically, I guess.

Also, this is not an ISP-supplied router. Only the modem is.

Miner connected to computer was how I was doing it, but like I said, that doesn't seem to be working anymore. I'd just set an IP on the wireless, and set an IP on the ethernet adapter, bridge the two, and I would be able to find them. Not working anymore.

The IP of the new router is the same. The subnet mask I set to 255.255.255.0, like it was... And that's why I figured it was a DNS issue. I always set DNS on the IPv4 settings of both the wireless and ethernet on the laptop, to the default gateway, which has always been 192.168.1.1, which is why this is puzzling me. As far as I know, I've set everything as it was, and it should be plug and play, but it's not.. That's why I feel like I have to be missing something.

BitJunkie223 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 01:00:45 AM

So I plugged my old router back in, and everything was up and running. Simple.

I still don't know what the problem was, but I guess using that new router will have to wait. At least until I figure out what's causing them to not work. :/

Thanks for the help, you guys.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 04:52:46 AM

So I plugged my old router back in, and everything was up and running. Simple.

I still don't know what the problem was, but I guess using that new router will have to wait. At least until I figure out what's causing them to not work. :/

Thanks for the help, you guys.

If you have them in DHCP they should work pretty easy with new router.  But as I mentioned some ISP routers really are not so great.    It is more expensive but  I would ask ISP about if it does a bridged mode, and you can plug in a high quality router.  With gigabit internet though the routers can be pricey to benefit from it.

I would give it a try with DHCP and see what happens.  Once you have time for a project that is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: