Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:42:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Serious ASIC question - ASIC Manufacturers Please Respond!  (Read 2610 times)
MKEGuy (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:58:05 PM

This is coming from a guy that thinks ASIC is coming fairly confidently.  This is coming from a guy that really doesn't favor any company at the moment though from some reading some are making themselves out to be hard to find the confidence to place an order with.  But most of all, this is coming from a potential customer.  I really like BTC and I really would like to see it succeed.  I will be buying an ASIC, and I would eventually like to find other ways to help push the BTC economy forward.  That said - here is my question.

Why can not one single company give us something real and concrete to work with?  If a company could do that, they will for sure have my order.  I'm looking for which ever device ends up in the 60-80 gh/s range.  Possibly two of them - we shall see.

I'm not talking about talk.  I'm not saying just showing me a pretty picture.  Provide me, provide all of us (who have ordered, or have not yet quite ordered) a reason to trust that your going to deliver on our money.

Trust is earned.  Right now every single company who is producing an ASIC device is asking for our trust.  I dont give trust out - you earn it.  Fairly sure I speak for most people with that.

Dont get me wrong - I want to believe.  But when your talking about $1-3,000 USD - I need a little more then anyone is currently providing.  Which is virtually nothing, unless I'm really missing something.

Provide it - and they will come.  (Customers, followed with orders)

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
ice_chill

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:07:25 PM

Wait 6 months (mid-2013), and you will have a lot of proof before commencing with your purchase Smiley
MKEGuy (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:18:15 PM

There should be no reason to have to wait that long! Smiley  Though your right - that would definitely be the safest route.

But in 6 months the diff will probably be like 45m lol

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:38:08 PM

There should be no reason to have to wait that long! Smiley  Though your right - that would definitely be the safest route.

But in 6 months the diff will probably be like 45m lol

You don't need to wait 6 months (unless you think there will be no shipment for the next 5-6months), if they ship anything, as soon as people get their machines there will be a flood of pictures and info and showing off. A week at most to ensure no one is horridly burned to death or hit by shrapnel, and you can place orders fairly happily. You've already missed the early adopter boat anyway (pre-orders filled).
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 10:51:16 PM

While I think you're a blatent sock puppet, I'll answer your question anyways.

All 3 of the main competitors (BFL, bASIC, and Avalon) fit your criteria. They all have devices in the 60-80GH/s range (60, 72, 66). You want to talk about trust and proving themselves? All 3 have been very prominent in the BTC world already thru the selling of FPGA miners. All 3 have earned that trust with previous orders over the past six months to a year. All 3 have released claimed specs, some even released pictures, but no solid, 100% undeniable proof has been revealed yet. I suspect that that won't come until about 3-4 weeks AFTER the first one start shipping, based on the level of skepticism swarming these forums.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 11:19:11 PM

If you wait any longer, you may as well not order at all because all of the big profits are going to pass you by...
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 11:27:29 PM

But when your talking about $1-3,000 USD - I need a little more then anyone is currently providing.  Which is virtually nothing, unless I'm really missing something.

Provide it - and they will come.  (Customers, followed with orders)

So you want more pictures?

In Cryptography we trust.
MKEGuy (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 12:24:05 AM

Sure... a picture of one hashing.  I should have figured rather then bringing in people who want to see the same, it would bring on the trolls!

What has been provided thus far sucks.  What has been provided thus far is really nothing more then "we're working on it."

I've never seen so much cloudiness surrounding business as I have in this scenario.

Early adopter spots pop up for sale several times a day on the forums. Tongue

michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 12:37:05 AM

A variation of this question is asked, on average, every few hours.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:29:14 AM

Why can not one single company give us something real and concrete to work with?
I want to know exactly how fast the new CPU's from Intel and AMD are that come out in a few months. Where can I find those numbers?
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:16:39 AM

Why can not one single company give us something real and concrete to work with?
I want to know exactly how fast the new CPU's from Intel and AMD are that come out in a few months. Where can I find those numbers?

Cute and all, but apples to oranges.  Intel/AMD don't ask you to pre-order and pay for your CPU 6 months before its available and benchmarked.  Intel and AMD do send samples to review sites (Tom's hardware comes to mind) BEFORE general availability.

Really.. Good try though..
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 01:11:03 PM

Cute and all, but apples to oranges.  Intel/AMD don't ask you to pre-order and pay for your CPU 6 months before its available and benchmarked.  Intel and AMD do send samples to review sites (Tom's hardware comes to mind) BEFORE general availability.

Oranges to Pears.  BFL/Avalon/BitcoinASIC don't stick a gun to your head and force you to send them money for a pre-order and Intel/AMD don't even have a pre-order system in place, you wait until they're out and you buy.  Those Intel/AMD review samples almost always come with an NDA that require the sites don't say a word until general release.  Just like what you have to do for CPU's you can just as easily wait till ASIC's are released to order, noone is forcing you to pre-order.

michaelmclees

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 03:45:03 PM

Pears to Bananas - Comparing the ASIC outfits to AMD and Intel is a fool's game.  I asked BFL for pictures of boxes filled with parts and before they provided them (sort of) I was chastised with this logic.  "Why don't you ask Intel for proof of their materials?"

Maybe because there's a difference between a multi-billion dollar, multi-national, publicly traded, 44 year old corporation with a long history of delivering products on time as predicted ... and Butterfly Labs.
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 03:54:33 PM

Pears to Bananas - Comparing the ASIC outfits to AMD and Intel is a fool's game.  I asked BFL for pictures of boxes filled with parts and before they provided them (sort of) I was chastised with this logic.  "Why don't you ask Intel for proof of their materials?"

Maybe because there's a difference between a multi-billion dollar, multi-national, publicly traded, 44 year old corporation with a long history of delivering products on time as predicted ... and Butterfly Labs.

I agree wholeheartedly, but once again, there's a simple solution.  If you're not willing to take the risk of pre-ordering without that information/photos/data ahead of time, then simply don't pre-order.  People seem to want to be on the cutting edge of Bitcoin mining but want exact specifics and guarantees.  Sorry, but the two don't mix.  Bitcoin is a risky endeavor all around, if you want guarantees buy more video cards or wait till ASIC's are actually in production before buying one.  Complaining that you should have the benefit of being on the cutting edge and front of the line to get your hands on a new mining technology, but shouldn't have to take any risk whatsoever is ridiculous. 
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 04:55:27 PM

I agree wholeheartedly, but once again, there's a simple solution.  If you're not willing to take the risk of pre-ordering without that information/photos/data ahead of time, then simply don't pre-order.  People seem to want to be on the cutting edge of Bitcoin mining but want exact specifics and guarantees.  Sorry, but the two don't mix.  Bitcoin is a risky endeavor all around, if you want guarantees buy more video cards or wait till ASIC's are actually in production before buying one.  Complaining that you should have the benefit of being on the cutting edge and front of the line to get your hands on a new mining technology, but shouldn't have to take any risk whatsoever is ridiculous. 

This is like poetry.

In Cryptography we trust.
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:20:08 PM

You sir, are freaking awesome (your avatar picture not withstanding). Most intelligent thing said all month.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:22:44 PM

I don't understand why people want to be mouthpieces for other companies, rather than other consumers, but I guess it is what it is.

I will start by saying that I probably would have been an early "no info" adopter, had I been around at the time, and now I'm fine with being a post first-batch adopter if they ever show up. C'est la vie.

But to chastise investors (more akin to what pre-orders are than customers), for asking a company for easily obtainable evidence that they haven't just pulled a heist is clearly reasonable (albeit a bit annoying).
The fact that I wasn't told my mother was going to be raped if I didn't buy a mining rig has nothing to do with anything. Investors in all fields, especially in new and risky enterprises need constant mollification that they aren't just pouring their money down a drain. This is common business practice.

That you think these companies deserve some special level of trust because bitcoin requires people just hope for the best in all things is more ridiculous in my opinion. Possibly why we see constant scams in bitcoin, that people just throw up Caveat emptor, and call it a day.

And remember, I have no special vested interest in having information in hand today.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:30:36 PM

What makes you think they have what you want?

It seems you want peer reviewed benchmarked specs (hashrate, state rates, power consumption, temp, etc).   Nobody has a functional product yet.  How exactly would they provide something which doesn't exist?

As others have said wait until launch and you will see.   To the more general questions ... That info is unecessary at this point.  The pre-order buyers have already taken a risk.  Getting proof after committing to a sale is kinda foolish.   ANyone who doesn't have a pre-order is better off waiting.  Why?  Pre-ordering now is the worst of risk vs reward.  You get the lowest reward (it may be months before your order ships and difficulty will be >200M by then) and are taking the most risk.   At this point, waiting until they ship doesn't significantly reduce ones reward but significantly reduces the risk.
michaelmclees

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:16:21 PM

But the risk you're talking about it is the risk that BFL is lying to get a bunch of pre-orders and they'll run away with the money, or the more likely scenario of them simply stringing everyone along with a series of missed deadlines.  They claimed that such things would not happen, so you're incorrect in saying that that was the risk I'm taking.  When I put in my order, it was on various promises they made.  It seems a little illogical to say when they fail to make good on those promises, "Well... that's the risk you took..."  No, it wasn't.  I ordered a product.  If you're going to lump in that the ordered product won't be there in time to be useful, then that's a risk with anything you buy on eBay, Amazon, etc...  Like the possibility that the burger flipping will hock on my meal, it is a risk in the academic sense of the word, but not in the sense that it is a risk I willingly took on.

It seems the only people who are enjoying this ride BFL is taking us on are the people who ordered, believing that BFL would not be able to timely deliver the product.  What's worse is that the enjoyment manifests itself in these strange posts like yours.  "Don't like being jerked around?  Why did you order from BFL?  Haha... Loser... Ordered on the information given and actually believed it!"

It isn't like I'm hugely invested or anything, but the attitude seems to be... "I'm sure everything is moving as fast as it can....  stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride."  I want off.
MKEGuy (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:11:23 PM

I don't understand why people want to be mouthpieces for other companies, rather than other consumers, but I guess it is what it is.

I will start by saying that I probably would have been an early "no info" adopter, had I been around at the time, and now I'm fine with being a post first-batch adopter if they ever show up. C'est la vie.

But to chastise investors (more akin to what pre-orders are than customers), for asking a company for easily obtainable evidence that they haven't just pulled a heist is clearly reasonable (albeit a bit annoying).
The fact that I wasn't told my mother was going to be raped if I didn't buy a mining rig has nothing to do with anything. Investors in all fields, especially in new and risky enterprises need constant mollification that they aren't just pouring their money down a drain. This is common business practice.

That you think these companies deserve some special level of trust because bitcoin requires people just hope for the best in all things is more ridiculous in my opinion. Possibly why we see constant scams in bitcoin, that people just throw up Caveat emptor, and call it a day.

And remember, I have no special vested interest in having information in hand today.

Love this this is the "poetry" of the topic thus far.

I dont even understand why we can't see old revisions.  Hey... this is the 6 core hashing at 60 gh/s... just wait till we show you the 8 core!   (In roll the orders...)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: