Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:54:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the minimum reason a government exists....  (Read 3551 times)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2012, 10:34:22 PM

No don't like emo. More into rock.

"Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me."

But back on topic. I am all for compromises, if they are made voluntarily by all parties involved. That is not the case here. Or as blahblahblah put it: AND SO DO YOU! Sorry bro, but I don't think so.

Here is one thing a central elected authority would be better than an AnCap type, public safety.  We should not need to volunteer for safety of the public, that is something that should be mandatory.  Without a mandatory 3rd party with all submit too, it would be too easy for companies to find ways to skirt this and harm the public. 

Obviously I know it happens now but because we are talking about theoretical forms of government like AnCap, then I am lending support to a properly run democratic republic and adhered to our Constitution (With almost all amendments) and Bill of Rights.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
CountSparkle

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 04:50:01 PM

Sure, by using the framework and infrastructure provided by the State, someone like Myrkul can easily tell their kids "go to the library and borrow a book on the subject". However, without a government to absorb the costs, free libraries almost certainly wouldn't exist. And if Myrkul disagrees, perhaps he can demonstrate his Capitalist prowess and explain how free public libraries would be possible under a government-free system like An-Cap?

I'm all for having professionals teach students instead of unskilled parents (I really dislike homeschooling), but library? Are you serious? When was the last time you've been to one? It has been years for me, and I was in school not too long ago. We used PDF articles and study materials on our computers and tablets, and PowerPoint presentations as study guides, and used the internet (even Wikipedia) to do our reading and research. All out-of-copyright classics required for reading in English lit classes are freely available as well.

As for the rest, I'm not saying that's how it will happen, but in an AnCap society, without a centralized government social system dividing us into counties, precincts, and countries, we could have people form social groups themselves. For example, a poor immigrant community might form a tribe of sorts (Neil Stephenson called them phyles), which will want to compete against other groups in the market financially and socially. To do that, they might put social pressure on each other to do well with raising kids, and even have their own dedicated educator that is willing to take poor kids in for free. Remember, they are not competing based on the teacher making a profit, they are competing as a corporation, trying to get their kids to either run more successful businesses than their neighbors, or get into more prestigious positions elsewhere.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2012, 06:29:55 PM

You seem to focus on things being "free." I have some bad news. Nothing is free. Cheap is doable. Free is not allowed by physics. Since everything has costs, when you say "I want something for free," what you are really saying is "I want someone else to pay for this." When you say "I want free, tax-supported X," what you are really saying is "I want to force someone else to pay for X."

Libraries have costs, too, of course. Books, salaries, possibly rent. These costs are nothing new, they existed a couple hundred years ago, too. And like so many other problems, the founders figured out a solution for this one, too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_library#United_States
In 1731, Benjamin Franklin and his friends, sometimes called "the Junto", operated the Library Company of Philadelphia partly as a means to settle arguments and partly as a means to advance themselves through sharing information. Franklin's subscription library allowed members to buy "shares" and combined funds were used to buy more books; in return, members could borrow books and use the library.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
compro01

Activity: 590

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:26:37 PM

Libraries have costs, too, of course. Books, salaries, possibly rent. These costs are nothing new, they existed a couple hundred years ago, too. And like so many other problems, the founders figured out a solution for this one, too:
In 1731, Benjamin Franklin and his friends, sometimes called "the Junto", operated the Library Company of Philadelphia partly as a means to settle arguments and partly as a means to advance themselves through sharing information. Franklin's subscription library allowed members to buy "shares" and combined funds were used to buy more books; in return, members could borrow books and use the library.

You appear to be equating a system that possibly worked well for a group of moderately wealthy white men with a system that is functional for the population at large.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
December 28, 2012, 03:43:31 PM

I think libraries are nearly defunct. But otherwise, I'd be willing to contribute to a library, far more than my "fair share" since I think they provide(d) a valuable service.

Unfortunately, the local library has turned into a political punching bag between the local government and state government. It's one of those "oh noes, we'll have to raise taxes or you'll lose <service x> that you like. Don't bring up all those <service y>s that you don't like. Schools! Hospitals! End of the World!"

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2012, 04:19:08 PM

You appear to be equating a system that possibly worked well for a group of moderately wealthy white men with a system that is functional for the population at large.

The population at large, eh?
The libraries in the US expend an estimated 15 billion dollars annually.
There are over 311 million people in the US.
That's less than $50 per person. Even if only half of all people actually use the library, that's only $100.
Do you think the "population at large" cannot afford $10 per month?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: