Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:33:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile car-based mining operation entirely possible  (Read 4032 times)
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:16:30 AM

Guys, I never proposed this to save money - I was thinking about the flexibility and the "cool-factor".
Not sure if you earn points with the "cool-factor" by mobile mining.  Interesting yes, cool no.  Now cool factor would be mobile mining that results in greater number of coins produce then can be done standing still.  Everyone here would be all over you and saying cool even though it is not realistic, or is it Mr. flux capacitor.

Step 1. Get on next trip to ISS (international space station)
Step 2. Hook up miners to take advantage of free solar power!
Step 3. Mine while taking advantage of time-dilation.
Step 4. Profit (no question marks needed).

Cool
doesn't it cost $10k to lift a pound into space? you're down $10k for the BFL alone

Well he just asked for cool factor. Doesn't get much cooler than space-travel and time-dilation for increasing number of coins produced imho. Admittedly time to recoup your costs will be high.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 04:25:08 AM

Guys, I never proposed this to save money - I was thinking about the flexibility and the "cool-factor".
Not sure if you earn points with the "cool-factor" by mobile mining.  Interesting yes, cool no.  Now cool factor would be mobile mining that results in greater number of coins produce then can be done standing still.  Everyone here would be all over you and saying cool even though it is not realistic, or is it Mr. flux capacitor.

Cool
The time dialation would actually reduce mining performance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation#Time_dilation_and_space_flight

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
bcpokey

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:29:38 AM

Cool
The time dialation would actually reduce mining performance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation#Time_dilation_and_space_flight

Incorrect. You are thinking of a body in relative acceleration to the point of reference. AFAIK the ISS is in stationary orbit WRT the earth. I am referring to Gravitational Time Dilation, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation .
dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 04:54:14 AM

Cool

Incorrect. You are thinking of a body in relative acceleration to the point of reference. AFAIK the ISS is in stationary orbit WRT the earth. I am referring to Gravitational Time Dilation, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation .
Cool, TIL.  Smiley

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
bitcoindaddy (OP)

Activity: 481

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 01:40:34 PM

Cool

Nice, but time dilation would work against you.
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:04:56 PM

This idea crossed my mind but in the sense that I could drive and pickup my ASIC rather than it being shipped to me. I could mine on the way home and gain an extra day or so. But then I decided I didnt feel like driving that far.

Sorry but that's just human greed in pure, raw form.

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 06:15:10 PM

This idea crossed my mind but in the sense that I could drive and pickup my ASIC rather than it being shipped to me. I could mine on the way home and gain an extra day or so. But then I decided I didnt feel like driving that far.

Sorry but that's just human greed in pure, raw form.

I never claimed it wasnt. In fact i can openly admit that the sole reason I started mining was to turn a profit. yes the idea is cool, but Im not going to drop $5k plus the time/effort setting up and maintaining a GPU/FPGA/ASIC farm just because its "cool". Maybe you have money to burn like that and if so great! Send some my way!

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
bcpokey

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:11:32 PM

Cool

Nice, but time dilation would work against you.

Dude, see like literally 1 post above yours...
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 05:30:46 PM

Can a car battery provide 120W constantly? Won't that burn out your alternator?

That's just 10A. Many modern cars need that for ignition alone, and performance cars may require double that for fuel pump. Racing cars might require 40A just for the fuel pumps!
Even 80's corollas have 55A alternators. Getting a alternator rewired for higher amperage is not even very costly, just make sure the alternator controller is able to work with the increased amperage.
Friend had 110 or 120A alternator on his M3 for the audio setup.
And that's just those cars which aren't especially power hungry ... Let's enter the SPL competition scene: These guys might be consuming 20kW ...

Hell, just last week i sold one amp with 4x30A fuses and rated RMS power of 5000W to 1Ohm (very short peak).

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2012, 05:46:50 PM

I read a little while back that idling a modern car typically uses 0.2 gallons/hour.  So, if you consider that the minimum, then you're looking at at least $0.70/kwh.  It is possible to achieve full draw on an alternator at idle, so I think it is reasonable to assume you could get 700w out of the car at idle.  There would be a nearly negligible increase of load on the engine.  $0.70 / 700w = at least $1.00/kwh.

If you upgraded your alternator to allow for more load, then you might need to also increase the default idle speed to ensure the engine does not stall, which would mean more fuel usage.

EDIT:  Now if you're talking about running it on a car that is moving, I'd say the electricity is virtually free.

Extending on that, you don't want to run your car at idle for power generation - you want to run it at the peak torque RPM most probably, very often something like 1800RPM-2200RPM. Larger the engine, lower this is.
Also, the typical car here consumes more like 1.5L/hr, so more like 0.35gallons/hour, and at 1800RPM you are probably looking at 0.5-0.6gallons/hour.
Car engines are not designed for low load constant speed - you need to increase the load ie. alternator capacity and utilization dramatically to get the best out of the engine, even at 1800RPM low load you are running perhaps 2% efficiency, while a traditional, older car engine could reach 20%.

for thought experiment, let's think about a modified engine JUST for this purpose.
Turbocharged engine, with mild cams for lower RPM peak output (Where you want to run, or close to it), running lean -> slightly below stoichiometric value (Complete burn, slightly more air into engine than required for complete burn). This kind of engine could reach upto 30% efficiency.
Now we can calculate from energy content and alternator efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline#Energy_content_.28high_and_low_heating_value.29
13kWh/kg or 9.7kWh / liter.
Let's assume we tune this engine for 30kW load, this means we need to burn 100kW worth of electricity, dismissing alternator disefficiencies. After alternator efficiency we get perhaps 27kW of electricity.
That means just more than 10liters per hour.
Please note: I chose 30kW load as load is required for something of that displacement to get to good efficiency rates, even 30kW might be far too low, but let's give it a chance for being tuned for this usage.
At the gas rates like here 95E10 going for about 1.5€ per liter = 15€ per hour and we get under 0.5€/kWh efficiency.
The remaining 70kW could be used to heat your house, or alternative methods used to collect electricity from it. But even at 100% efficiency in all parts it would still cost 0.15€ kWh which is more than double what i'm paying locally right now.

When you are moving it's not free either, but small load disappears in to the existing inefficiencies, 20RPM lower idle RPM don't matter. Even if you are going highway, and trying to get best MPG possible, it will show up there, but it's marginal.

Teal: Big Diesel has higher efficiency than tiny 4 banger. Diesel as a fuel has higher efficiency from chemical to kinetic energy.
Reason tiny 4 bangers gets so high MPG is because they are lightweight and small surface area, not exceptional engine efficiency.
For a gasoline engine 25% is pretty much the norm efficiency rating, depending upon how modern it is.
Many of the tiny 4 bangers getting huge/good MPG (80s-90s Renault Clio, 80s Peugeot 205, Subaru Justy, 80s Nissan Cherry) actually has kind of low efficiency engines in them. They are simply lightweight cars. Subary Justy actually has 3 cylinder engine in it, 1.2l carburated, very peaky output, very low torque at low rpm, even normal driving requires some 3k rpm yet even 4WD on during winter you can achieve better MPG than many big cars. Summer and no 4WD it can achieve 50MPG.

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 26, 2012, 07:58:01 PM

Teal: Big Diesel has higher efficiency than tiny 4 banger. Diesel as a fuel has higher efficiency from chemical to kinetic energy.
Reason tiny 4 bangers gets so high MPG is because they are lightweight and small surface area, not exceptional engine efficiency.
For a gasoline engine 25% is pretty much the norm efficiency rating, depending upon how modern it is.
Many of the tiny 4 bangers getting huge/good MPG (80s-90s Renault Clio, 80s Peugeot 205, Subaru Justy, 80s Nissan Cherry) actually has kind of low efficiency engines in them. They are simply lightweight cars. Subary Justy actually has 3 cylinder engine in it, 1.2l carburated, very peaky output, very low torque at low rpm, even normal driving requires some 3k rpm yet even 4WD on during winter you can achieve better MPG than many big cars. Summer and no 4WD it can achieve 50MPG.

I realize that. That why I said that such an efficiency for a small gas ICE would be very decent.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 12:36:57 AM

Car engines are not designed for low load constant speed - you need to increase the load ie. alternator capacity and utilization dramatically to get the best out of the engine, even at 1800RPM low load you are running perhaps 2% efficiency, while a traditional, older car engine could reach 20%.

Can you elaborate on this?  What is different about a "traditional" car engine to cause the large difference in efficiency that you describe, when used to generate electricity?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: