Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:57:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicoin Core Node, why is it app based and not service based??  (Read 1923 times)
icezer0z (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 06, 2015, 05:22:10 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Why not make the Bitcoin Core running strictly as a node for users a service in Windows rather than an app?

Not sure if Linux is like this?  It's not a huge big deal but I plan here in the next week installing nodes on family's computers and it'd be nice to have the core running as a service vs an app that has to be open.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2015, 06:28:30 PM

It can be. You can have the daemon (bitcoind) run as a service and on startup. You just need to a little bit of configuring in Windows startup stuff. Same thing can be done in linux. Bitcoin Core (the GUI app) can also be configured to automatically start at startup. It should be somewhere in the options.

joshuatee

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 05:36:44 PM

hehe  Roll Eyes

how about a PowerShell script that creates a PowerShell "Scheduled Job" which starts bitcoind.exe in a hidden window at logon/startup, monitors the process and re-starts it if it crashes?

I (re)discovered bitcoin a few days ago -- sadly a few years later and too late  Embarrassed --, also I'm learning some PowerShell atm, and I'm planning on making such a script the next few days.

If you're interested and I manage to pull it, I might post it
fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 275

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 05:46:45 PM

AFAIK there is a setting in Core to launch it on startup in windows

Bitwasp Developer.
icezer0z (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 09:48:59 PM

hehe  Roll Eyes

how about a PowerShell script that creates a PowerShell "Scheduled Job" which starts bitcoind.exe in a hidden window at logon/startup, monitors the process and re-starts it if it crashes?

I (re)discovered bitcoin a few days ago -- sadly a few years later and too late  Embarrassed --, also I'm learning some PowerShell atm, and I'm planning on making such a script the next few days.

If you're interested and I manage to pull it, I might post it

Yes that would be cool.  I'm not trying to hide it from the user but its too easy to just close out of the app and then you have to restart it.

I know there is a startup setting for the app, but my question/statement was to make the app a service.

open up command and type in services.msc

thats what I am saying

joshuatee

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 12:07:58 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2015, 12:47:47 AM by joshuatee

I'm not trying to hide it from the user

I didn't mean that, the process is clearly visible in the task manager, you just don't have a popping window and an extra item in taskbar/tray. The basic command goes along the lines of

start-process D:\bitcoin-0.11.2-win64\bitcoind.exe -ArgumentList '-datadir=D:\bitcoin-DATA -rpcuser=someuser -rpcpassword=somepassword -testnet' -PassThru -NoNewWindow

the above in the powershell console, ofc.

It needs to be wrapped in a proper "cmdlet", smth like https://ghostbin.com/paste/jp2ac plus the "scheduled job" that starts the bitcoind, checks if it's still alive and restarts it when needed
icezer0z (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 01:51:13 AM

I'm not trying to hide it from the user

I didn't mean that, the process is clearly visible in the task manager, you just don't have a popping window and an extra item in taskbar/tray. The basic command goes along the lines of

start-process D:\bitcoin-0.11.2-win64\bitcoind.exe -ArgumentList '-datadir=D:\bitcoin-DATA -rpcuser=someuser -rpcpassword=somepassword -testnet' -PassThru -NoNewWindow

the above in the powershell console, ofc.

It needs to be wrapped in a proper "cmdlet", smth like https://ghostbin.com/paste/jp2ac plus the "scheduled job" that starts the bitcoind, checks if it's still alive and restarts it when needed

I saw 'hehe' and I think of an evil genious laugh lol

Awesome script, I'm planning on running this on my work computer at the office.  I'm an IT guy but my boss is a bit skeptic on bitcoin so im playing it safe.

Thanks

fancy_pants

Activity: 663
Merit: 501

quarkchain.io

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 08:24:36 PM

you sure your relatives will appreciate you slowing down their computer with your dumbass internet money?
icezer0z (OP)

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 01:22:19 AM

you sure your relatives will appreciate you slowing down their computer with your dumbass internet money?

Undecided

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: