Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:25:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: y4x.com: BTC awarded on first block that has a bid  (Read 12977 times)
Nite69

Activity: 477
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:26:21 PM

Bidders don't actually have an average of 10 minutes to make a larger bid.  Let's say you make a 0.1 bid, a block could be created at any moment and your 0.1 bid could be put into it.  The first moment a block is created with a transaction to the bid address the results are frozen in time. 

Yes, but the weird theory behind 'finding the block' says that any given moment, the expected time to next block is on average 10 minutes.

That is, regardless of the time passed after the last found block. The actual time could be 1 second or 1hour, but in the average, it is 10 minutes.

But you should market your site a bit more aggressively, so you dont' just give away bitcoins.. I'll spread the word (well, I'm not gonna win bitcoins so more in the future, but a good idea should be shared..)

Also, it should be verified, if there is a possibility that the prize goes to a wrong address, ie on some web wallet site's internal address. If so, bidders should be warned (actually enought information is already on the site, but just to avoid complains). I'm not sure,  if I was lucky to get the prize to correct address, or is the other address also connected to my easywallet account.

Sync: ShiSKnx4W6zrp69YEFQyWk5TkpnfKLA8wx
Bitcoin: 17gNvfoD2FDqTfESUxNEmTukGbGVAiJhXp
Litecoin: LhbDew4s9wbV8xeNkrdFcLK5u78APSGLrR
AuroraCoin: AXVoGgYtSVkPv96JLL7CiwcyVvPxXHXRK9
Nite69

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:26:30 PM

People can continue to bid but their bids won't be in the first block that was created.  That's why it's important to look at blockchain.info (or whatever method you want) to track whether the block has been made yet.

So yea, the bitcoin network acts as a chaotic timer (which is what I think is really neat) but you don't have long to contribute which is why I have the auctions reveal at predetermined times twice a day: if anyone wants to play they know exactly when to show up.

Yes, that's good. Also, you could choose the times so that potential players are most likely online. Maybe late evening on US and Europe? At least today (16.00 local time,UTC-2) there were only one other player. Currently this is EASY MONEY for players.. but I guess that's the case in most sites?

I wish good luck with your site. Also, think about changing the prize from 1 BTC to some% of the bids. Maybe some minimum prize (0.1-0.5 BTC?!). Or why not make another site with different winning strategy? This is completely free suggestion, I already won 1 BTC ;-)

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:31:39 PM

But can you also change the links in the main page to blockchain.info?

Can you give me some perspective on why I should change it?  Do you just prefer blockchain.info?  I don't mind changing it but I want to understand why you are asking.

But you should market your site a bit more aggressively, so you dont' just give away bitcoins.. I'll spread the word (well, I'm not gonna win bitcoins so more in the future, but a good idea should be shared..)

I don't really know how to market the site...  I set up the site an experiment in interacting with bitcoind.  Don't spread the word it will just make it harder for you to win! Cheesy

Also, it should be verified, if there is a possibility that the prize goes to a wrong address, ie on some web wallet site's internal address. If so, bidders should be warned (actually enought information is already on the site, but just to avoid complains). I'm not sure,  if I was lucky to get the prize to correct address, or is the other address also connected to my easywallet account.

I don't have a great solution here: I could have people register and set a withdrawal address but that would be a barrier to people playing and ruin the simplicity of the game.  I want to solve this problem but I don't see how.  I will post a short notice on the site.
BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:34:26 PM

Yes, that's good. Also, you could choose the times so that potential players are most likely online. Maybe late evening on US and Europe? At least today (16.00 local time,UTC-2) there were only one other player. Currently this is EASY MONEY for players.. but I guess that's the case in most sites?

I have set times so it is consistent and people will know when to play.  It is a convenient time somewhere in the world, right? Smiley

I wish good luck with your site. Also, think about changing the prize from 1 BTC to some% of the bids. Maybe some minimum prize (0.1-0.5 BTC?!). Or why not make another site with different winning strategy? This is completely free suggestion, I already won 1 BTC ;-)

This is actually a good suggestion.  I thought about this but thought people might not understand and not play.  If I ever get a couple people playing at a time then maybe I will switch to % and that way if people want to bid big to win the pot they can.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:33:27 PM

Yes, but the weird theory behind 'finding the block' says that any given moment, the expected time to next block is on average 10 minutes.

That is, regardless of the time passed after the last found block. The actual time could be 1 second or 1hour, but in the average, it is 10 minutes.

That's correct.  The expected time to the next block is 10 minutes.  Interestingly the expected time to the previous block is also 10 minutes.  So if you pick a random point in time, the expected time between the previous and next block is 20 minutes.

Weird, isn't it?

Read this question and answer, and associated comments for an in-depth discussion of it all:
  http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3909/what-is-the-expected-time-until-the-next-block-is-found

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:41:45 PM

That's correct.  The expected time to the next block is 10 minutes.  Interestingly the expected time to the previous block is also 10 minutes.  So if you pick a random point in time, the expected time between the previous and next block is 20 minutes.

Weird, isn't it?

Read this question and answer, and associated comments for an in-depth discussion of it all:
  http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3909/what-is-the-expected-time-until-the-next-block-is-found

Fair enough Smiley.

To get us back on topic, I added a JSON datafeed: http://y4x.com/json.php
wikiaki

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

I wonder how many times the owner wins...  Cool

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:54:40 PM

Legit question, the answer is zero.  By operating a fair game I believe people who win will be interested in playing again.
wikiaki

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:59:25 PM

for me

not verifiable

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:02:35 PM

for me

not verifiable

Fair enough.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

for me

not verifiable

There have been multiple games where there was only 1 player (2 of them were me), so in the past he hasn't cheated.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:07:54 PM

Legit question, the answer is zero.  By operating a fair game I believe people who win will be interested in playing again.

There's no way you can prove that you're not playing I don't think.  Not that I don't believe you of course.

If you were to change the game such that the highest bid gets 98% of the total that made it into the first block then it wouldn't matter if you were playing or not since even if you were we wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage playing against you.  The only remaining inequality is that when our payment doesn't make it into the first block, you get to keep it, but that can be seen as your cut for running the game.

Currently you can bid 1 BTC each round and be guaranteed never to lose money.  If instead you pay out 98% of the total, you don't have such a way of guaranteeing a win, and we no longer have to trust you (other than to trust that you'll pay out following the rules of course - there's always a risk that a site operator will abscond).

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
wikiaki

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:24:25 PM

good category: Gambling

-1 Wink

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:33:54 PM

If you were to change the game such that the highest bid gets 98% of the total that made it into the first block then it wouldn't matter if you were playing or not since even if you were we wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage playing against you.

Help me understand... can't I just bid 1000 BTC and win every time under your scenario?  Or are you saying that it is balanced by someone else being able to bid 1000.01 and that no one knows when the block will complete?
Nite69

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:43:43 PM

If you were to change the game such that the highest bid gets 98% of the total that made it into the first block then it wouldn't matter if you were playing or not since even if you were we wouldn't be at much of a disadvantage playing against you.

Help me understand... can't I just bid 1000 BTC and win every time under your scenario?  Or are you saying that it is balanced by someone else being able to bid 1000.01 and that no one knows when the block will complete?

Yes, you cannot be sure you win in dooglus scenario. Basically, others have allways on average 10 minutes to beat your bid. If maximum is 1 BTC, there is no point to bet more. If there is no maximum, you cannot 'steal' the pot without risking your investment.

Block complement is a lottery. Miners make milliards of guesses every second to find an answer and the chance is to find one solution in 10 minutes, in  the whole network.

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:45:36 PM

Help me understand... can't I just bid 1000 BTC and win every time under your scenario?  Or are you saying that it is balanced by someone else being able to bid 1000.01 and that no one knows when the block will complete?

Yes, you cannot be sure you win in dooglus scenario. Basically, others have allways on average 10 minutes to beat your bid. If maximum is 1 BTC, there is no point to bet more. If there is no maximum, you cannot 'steal' the pot without risking your investment.

I see... well, I can do it that way.  My script already sums up all the bitcoins it would just send 98% of that as the return instead of 1.

I don't think this qualifies as "verifiable" but I like that it takes less suspicion off the operator (me).
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:56:31 PM

I see... well, I can do it that way.  My script already sums up all the bitcoins it would just send 98% of that as the return instead of 1.

I don't think this qualifies as "verifiable" but I like that it takes less suspicion off the operator (me).

I said 98% to give you a 2% house edge to make it worth your while.

But maybe you can pay the full 100% of all the payments that make it into the first block, and keep all the late payments as your profit.  That's probably plenty anyway and it likely going to be the later bigger payments anyway.  Paying out 100% looks so much better than paying out 98%, and makes little difference to your take...

And yes, you can't guarantee to win by putting 1000 BTC into each game because I can put 2000 into each game and take your 1000 BTC.  I guess practically speaking nobody would do that because (a) you might just run off with their 2000 BTC and (b) their 2000 BTC bet might get confirmed after someone else's 0.5 BTC bet, and so they lose it anyway.  You don't have to worry about either of those two issues, so I see what you mean.  I do think it goes some way towards removing the "hey, he can cheat easily" accusation though.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 08:11:42 PM

And yes, you can't guarantee to win by putting 1000 BTC into each game because I can put 2000 into each game and take your 1000 BTC.  I guess practically speaking nobody would do that because (a) you might just run off with their 2000 BTC and (b) their 2000 BTC bet might get confirmed after someone else's 0.5 BTC bet, and so they lose it anyway.  You don't have to worry about either of those two issues, so I see what you mean.  I do think it goes some way towards removing the "hey, he can cheat easily" accusation though.

Ok, here we go...
Nite69

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 08:57:27 PM

You seem to have alottery ongoing. Is it a test or open to everyone?

BitcoinHoarder (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:00:40 PM

You seem to have alottery ongoing. Is it a test or open to everyone?

Open, but now it's confirmed.  The next one is in 29 minutes.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: