Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:05:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I make a brainwallet using a phrase?  (Read 909 times)
goldlyre (OP)

Activity: 1101
Merit: 512

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 02:59:20 AM

I just cannot figure out how to make a brianwallet with a phrase. Anybody provide me with a simple procedure or just a clue? Thanks!
I also noticed the wallet.dat can be recorded on a paper. But I dont know how to.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 03:04:22 AM

I just cannot figure out how to make a brianwallet with a phrase. Anybody provide me with a simple procedure or just a clue? Thanks!
I also noticed the wallet.dat can be recorded on a paper. But I dont know how to.

http://brainwallet.org/

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 03:10:15 AM

I just cannot figure out how to make a brianwallet with a phrase. Anybody provide me with a simple procedure or just a clue? Thanks! . . .

Are you looking for the functions/algorithms that you need to run to create an address/key pair on your own, or are you looking for a program/webpage that will generate them for you?

I'm personally uncomfortable with trusting a webpage with my private key, but brainwallet.org is supposedly reliable.

If you are looking for the process, try here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Brainwallet
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 03:14:39 AM

also http://bitaddress.org
tbcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 03:18:20 AM

You must be careful with brainwallets, is curious and useful if done well, though nothing as safe as randomness.

I did the test once and in under 10 minutes I had found a key with balance, with a good dictionary and a good collection of common/ famous/literary phrases , is relatively easy to find someone who did not have much imagination.

Sorry for my bad english Wink
Bitcoin card for deposit and payment + Little POS
Donations:1N65efiNUhH6sEQg7Z6oUC76kJS9Yhevyf
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 03:21:58 AM

You must be careful with brainwallets, is curious and useful if done well, though nothing as safe as randomness.

I did the test once and in under 10 minutes I had found a key with balance, with a good dictionary and a good collection of common/ famous/literary phrases , is relatively easy to find someone who did not have much imagination.
Good advice.  From the bitcoin wiki:

It is very important when creating a brainwallet to use a passphrase that has a very high level of entropy. If this is not done, theft of the brainwallet is an eventual certainty.

This is not a simple suggestion. This is a requirement. Most people when asked to create a secure password, with everything they've heard about creating a password, will still create a password that if used for a brainwallet, will result in the eventual theft of their funds. The simple fact of the matter is that hacking a brainwallet password is a mathematical exercise that requires no internet access, no communication, and leaves no trace, so hackers can collectively try multiple trillions of passwords every second in the privacy of their own homes with the very same equipment they use for mining bitcoins (in the usual sense). Your bank might tell you that a 10 character password with uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols is a strong password, but it is not strong enough to secure a brainwallet. A password that might be strong enough for traditional banking or a social website is typically unacceptable for a brainwallet.

A brainwallet passphrase, at a minimum, needs to be an entire original sentence that does not appear in any song or literature. Security is enhanced simply by including some sort of memorable personal information, which doesn't necessarily even have to be secret (e.g. an e-mail address, or phone number). A good brainwallet passphrase will have dozens of characters.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: