Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:47:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloading Bitcoin Blockchain  (Read 484 times)
mattsmithefc (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:51:08 PM

I downloaded a 21gb blockchain to speed up the Sync, and it all downloaded after 3 hours but it hasn't affected anything? It still says 1 year and 42 weeks remaining, is there something I'm not doing?

I downloaded it using Bittorrent, put it in the correct folder, anything else?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:52:24 PM

Downloading the torrent with the current client is slower than just letting it sync normally.

Are you using the current version?  Is it connected to the bitcoin network?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:58:44 PM

The current chain size is 50Gig! It may still be loading the most recent blocks. it may also be reading through that data in the download, which also takes a long time. From what you have said there is no reason to be concerned yet about it not working. As long as it keep loading your on the right track.
It is a hassle to install with that huge file. But once you are up to date then you only need to load new blocks and it is much easier to use.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
mattsmithefc (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 09:03:24 PM

The blockchain i externally downloaded was supposed to speed it up though but its made it slower?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 09:12:22 PM

The blockchain i externally downloaded was supposed to speed it up though but its made it slower?

It should work. But after downloading the reference copy of the blockchain the software still needs to go through it all and read it. Then it will start downloading any newer blocks that were not in the reference copy. If your download was 21gig then you still have about another 30gig to be caught up. That will also take a long while. You could just turn on your computer and forget it for a day or two. Or you could turn on bitcoin when it's convenient. It will pick up where it left off each time.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2015, 10:17:45 PM

I was intended as a speed up for versions prior to 0.10. All versions past 0.10 can download blocks out of order and thus from several sources at once, same as a torrent client cant. The advantage over torrent is that the data can be verified at the same time.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: