Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:41:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help.my efforts are not going anywhere  (Read 1419 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 11:24:45 PM

Hi,
I've been using Bitcoin clients on both my mac and Pc for hte past few days now and it seems to be that a lot of blocks have been generated by both my systems yet the following problems exist:
1.My efforts on hte 2 computers haven't combined into 1 thing and therefore the rewards Im entitled to havent yet appeared.
2.Even when my systems generate blocks,it still says 0.00 in hte balance as shown by the screenshot.

I joined in this BC thing to help me get some extra money by mining BCs.

P.S.How do you create your own pools/How do you set both your systems to the pool you create?and how can I combine the wallets of my 2 systems into 1 so that both systems can work from 1 another instead of having the clutter of 2 wallets on 2 different systems?If there's an e-wallet that can do this for me help me set this up so that both my comps can work from it?

thank you

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
sirky

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:26:31 PM

1) You don't need to hide your bitcoin address.

2) It is very unlikely you will ever get anything for your efforts if you just use the client. Unless electricity is free, you are wasting money with the generating coins option in the client.
NetTecture

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:27:52 PM

Hi,
I've been using Bitcoin clients on both my mac and Pc for hte past few days now and it seems to be that a lot of blocks have been generated by both my systems yet the following problems exist:

Yes, but NOT BY YOU. This is the system block count on the internet. Your CPU - is worthless for mining. Get a GPU miner and invest some thousnds in GPU capacity.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:32:23 PM

Hi,

Yes, but NOT BY YOU. This is the system block count on the internet. Your CPU - is worthless for mining. Get a GPU miner and invest some thousnds in GPU capacity.

Terrible advice has been bolded. Do not invest thousands of dollars into GPUs until you do a lot more research about what bitcoin is, how it works, and how mining works. In fact, I don't recommend investing thousands of dollars unless you have thousands of spare dollars lying around.

There was some good advice in the quote though. CPU mining is totally worthless. Don't even bother. If you have a decent video card you can mine on that using one of the many clients found on these good forums. Again do some research though, this isn't a magical money fountain, you will still need to do some work on your own.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 11:36:56 PM

1) You don't need to hide your bitcoin address.

2) It is very unlikely you will ever get anything for your efforts if you just use the client. Unless electricity is free, you are wasting money with the generating coins option in the client.

I use a website that actually generates them successfully but is not the most efficient at doing so as the website operator takes a small cut but I at least get something for the efforts.I never rly knew that this whole thing is just a waste of time.I think I'll go back to living a normal life to the fullest instead of going for promises of making a little extra money.

Here's the site:http://www.bitcoinplus.com/

And Yes electric in my area costs a lot as well.I do wonder how ppl can benefit at all from this thing.I honestly think that issues like this should be fixed b4 releasing this stuff into the wild frankly,that way ppl like me wont get caught out by things like this.

Thanks for reply tho

As for hte new replies as well.I don't mind working a little but when the info available is too confusing 4 ppl like me then I question how can ppl expect this thing to rly take off.I used a GPU client but that kept failing on my systems and it doesn't work on my Mac so I decided to tolerate with the slow mining of my 2 Core i7 CPUs ( on my Pc and 1 on my mac)

sirky

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 11:40:50 PM

Money can be made off this (maybe), but you have to do some research first into how to make it. Things will always be released, you should make sure to understand them before you use it though.

Anyway, best of luck! I hope you read up on bitcoins and come back sometime in the future!
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 11:46:42 PM

Money can be made off this (maybe), but you have to do some research first into how to make it. Things will always be released, you should make sure to understand them before you use it though.

Anyway, best of luck! I hope you read up on bitcoins and come back sometime in the future!

Thing is I keep on reading on some sites about BC,but a lot of this info is complex n too ambigous 4 ppl like me so I'll be hanging hte gloves on this 1 even tho I got reasonable results on both my core i7 comps as both CPUs seem reasonable 4 a guy who's unwilling to spend money on upgrading his systems just for BC.I have good GPUs tho (not the top end but a reasonable thing) Nvidia GT330M on my MBP and ATI radeon HD 4670 on my PC.Both systems have Open GL,Open CL and all necessary GPGPU things (CUDA on MBP and Stream on my PC)

I'd love to hear ny success that ppl hav had so far with this thing cus surely im not the only 1 who thinks this whole thing is prone to many issues.

BitMinerN8

Activity: 626
Merit: 500

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 12:06:29 AM

Thing is I keep on reading on some sites about BC,but a lot of this info is complex n too ambigous 4 ppl like me so I'll be hanging hte gloves on this 1 even tho I got reasonable results on both my core i7 comps as both CPUs seem reasonable 4 a guy who's unwilling to spend money on upgrading his systems just for BC.I have good GPUs tho (not the top end but a reasonable thing) Nvidia GT330M on my MBP and ATI radeon HD 4670 on my PC.Both systems have Open GL,Open CL and all necessary GPGPU things (CUDA on MBP and Stream on my PC)

I'd love to hear ny success that ppl hav had so far with this thing cus surely im not the only 1 who thinks this whole thing is prone to many issues.

Well I have been at it for almost 1 month and I can tell you that all the information you need to get going is in these forums and wiki. It is not easy and I will say that I have spent many hours a day staying up on the forums so that I can find that one new piece of info that helps me out in some way. Increasing my daily yield is my #1 goal at the moment. As with all that you start off with, one must walk before you run.

Hang out on the boards for a couple days, start learning the lingo and doing searches for answers. It will come over time. For a simple answer as to how much you need to have hardware wise to be profitable, utilize this calculator.

http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

Put in a value of say 1000 which would be 1Ghash/s - You can then see how much "hardware" it would take to make that much money. (Approximately) If you are not making enough to pay electric and any investment in hardware (GPUs, Power Supplies to run them), I would recommend you don't get involved as it would NOT be worth the effort. You will just be frustrated. Your cards can be found here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

You can see that you won't be making much with that hardware on a daily basis.

Best of luck to you.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 09:46:31 AM

I think this highlights a fundemental problem with all (distributed) computing projects like this,BOINC,SETI,e.t.c.This is the fact that unless you have access to a generator (still expensive to run unless u run a diesel generator with vegetable oil) or an off grid like power system that's solar/wind plus a huge battery plus inverter or 12V Magsafe air adaptor for us Mac users (which skips the invertor cost),you will still be using more elec than you get out of it,esp if electric rates are expensive where you live.

If you ran on totally free energy(my N900 is charged by solar plus a Powermonkey Explorer which stores the charge from solar for use at night of course),then you'd profit all the time,even with mediocre hardware (anything less than a Core i7 CPU or no GPU use setups)

When I looked at my results on both my Core i7 CPUs (Pc and Mac),they are both like:1708903 or something like this the best I had is 2105463 when it was mining my bitcoins for me on PC.MBP got no more than:1708903

I don't know if this is good or pretty poor considering I've been using this website for the mining as da clients just don't work for me:http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate

The clients will generate loads of blocks but no BTC,so I used that site,n I at least get BTC even if CPU mining isn't the best,the website isnt the most efficient and the operator takes a cut from all mining Ops on the site.

If you like my tips,then you can show your appreciation by wither checking out my blog:www.film2240.wordpress.com  or by runnning this:http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate?for=976760

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:14:59 AM

I think this highlights a fundemental problem with all (distributed) computing projects like this,BOINC,SETI,e.t.c.This is the fact that unless you have access to a generator (still expensive to run unless u run a diesel generator with vegetable oil) or an off grid like power system that's solar/wind plus a huge battery plus inverter or 12V Magsafe air adaptor for us Mac users (which skips the invertor cost),you will still be using more elec than you get out of it,esp if electric rates are expensive where you live.

If you ran on totally free energy(my N900 is charged by solar plus a Powermonkey Explorer which stores the charge from solar for use at night of course),then you'd profit all the time,even with mediocre hardware (anything less than a Core i7 CPU or no GPU use setups)

When I looked at my results on both my Core i7 CPUs (Pc and Mac),they are both like:1708903 or something like this the best I had is 2105463 when it was mining my bitcoins for me on PC.MBP got no more than:1708903

I don't know if this is good or pretty poor considering I've been using this website for the mining as da clients just don't work for me:http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate

The clients will generate loads of blocks but no BTC,so I used that site,n I at least get BTC even if CPU mining isn't the best,the website isnt the most efficient and the operator takes a cut from all mining Ops on the site.

If you like my tips,then you can show your appreciation by wither checking out my blog:www.film2240.wordpress.com  or by runnning this:http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate?for=976760

No. CPU mining is already dead due to the difficulty level even if you have an i7. It's how bitcoin works.

they are both like:1708903 or something like this the best I had is 2105463 when it was mining my bitcoins for me

That's not how bitcoin works. The amount in the right corner is the sum of all blocks your node is aware of (has downloaded) in the entire bitcoin network. It doesn't mean you generated them or that you have a claim to them.
It automatically increases as more blocks are found by the network.

I've found less than 10 blocks mining in pools in the last month and I put out peak 16 ghash/s @ ~8000 watts constant power consumption (not running as a home operation though). Finding blocks is very, very difficult. CPU mining will probably not create a single block in many decades.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:22:47 AM

if you want to get some rewards then point your miners at a pool and get small daily rewards,
after a bit and you wnat to get serious then think about getting some GPU's for doing it,
you will [probably] not make BTC by mining solo - though you can get lucky and get 50 - but don't coount on it - look at running in a pool for a bit

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 11:52:38 AM

if you want to get some rewards then point your miners at a pool and get small daily rewards,
after a bit and you wnat to get serious then think about getting some GPU's for doing it,
you will [probably] not make BTC by mining solo - though you can get lucky and get 50 - but don't coount on it - look at running in a pool for a bit

Ok thanx 4 the info.Do you know of any pools that r easy to join with either the oficial client or an easy to use client thats 3rd party then?

I've tried all sorts of clients on my mac and PC and none of them work without complaining about an RPC issue or wotever their complaint is.Do you or ny1 know of a client that is most likely to work on the mac and PC?

I need the following from a client;
1.Must NOT use cmd lines or nything like that as I need easy usability
2.Must be able to work from the get go.i.e.no more complex setup like IP address,server ip address,ports e.t.c.I just want it to work like my mac does everyday
3.Must hav the ability to join pools easily
4.It doesn't need to b nything fancy but it has to be stable or works well
5.It should either be  CPU or GPU based
6.I need to be able to run multiple instances.i.e,I can run 1 CPU only based client and then run 1 GPGPU (GPU) based client at the same time on the same system

If you can do this for me ,that'd rly help me a lot.Did u guys check out that site I used?if so how did u get on with it?

RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10121.0 <- easy
the miner it'self - for windows use
guiminer
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3878.0
for Mac - no idea TBH

the rpc password stuff is becase it  [bitcoin] needs to know how your conencting to it.

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 04:06:10 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=10121.0 <- easy
the miner it'self - for windows use
guiminer
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3878.0
for Mac - no idea TBH

the rpc password stuff is becase it  [bitcoin] needs to know how your conencting to it.

I manged to get htings working on this.The only issue left is the fact that I get a msg saying:"Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC"

What does this mean?
I'm using GUIMiner as this works on my PC.I hope that some1 whos more knowledgable on the suitable equivalent for the Mac can help with the mac client but with same requirements.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: