Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:07:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to detect the change output?  (Read 7223 times)
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 08:46:26 PM

bitcoin-qt tries to randomize the position of the change output, but I believe the code has a flaw:

// Insert change txn at random position:
vector<CTxOut>::iterator position = wtxNew.vout.begin()+GetRandInt(wtxNew.vout.size());
wtxNew.vout.insert(position, CTxOut(nChange, scriptChange));

The problem is that size() is one in the common case of one payee, so GetRandInt will always return 0.The change ends up in the first output.

I think it should be size()+1.

long live the open source!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 10:57:42 PM

When will we have a fix for this?

you could just add "+1" after "size()" and recompile. maybe do some testing before using it productively.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 11:03:04 PM

When will we have a fix for this?

you could just add "+1" after "size()" and recompile. maybe do some testing before using it productively.
I don't compile. Did it once, never planning to do it again. Biggest headache I've ever experienced.  So, I am asking about a general installer release.

Personally, I don't really care about this anonymous side of things and hiding my true balance or associated addresses.  I don't have anything to hide with regards to my transactions.  But I know a lot of people do care about it, so I am sort of asking on everyone's behalf when we can expect an updated client to be released.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 11:18:41 PM

I think it's also worthwhile pointing out that now there is a "known" history of change/payment values. It should be easier to develop algorithms that can select future change values even after the bug is fixed, which a much higher confidence level.

Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 11:43:47 PM

I think Hal's donation wallet address has a flaw. The problem is that balance() returned 0.

I added one bitcoin, but balance()+1 doesn't seem like enough.

Details here: http://blockchain.info/address/1HALookLvrqrn2kxHhXCnwDgknD3RXifhH

From Hal's sig:

Hal 157i5gK7iN4bNAN39Ahuoiq6Tx5TaQukTE

So Hal, which one is your current Bitcoin address?

Also, it's funny how every tx to 1HALook is obviously affected by this bug.

Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 12:06:44 AM

Actually the OP observed that the software always puts the change first. I was working on a separate project suggested by Mike Hearn, using the new secure "trusted computing" modes on modern cpus to enforce spending limits even when infested with malware. I'm using Jon McCune's flicker software from sourceforge. The secure mode signs transactions and enforces limits on spends, but to know the transaction amount it has to know which is the change output.So I was just looking at this code yesterday and scratching my head (figuratively). I'll post more on this project when it's further along.

As far as my donation address, I created that years ago using Gavin's original vanitygen patch. I don't even know if I still have the key. It might be on a computer I don't use any more. I've substituted one of my offline savings wallet addresses. I shouldn't lose that.I'm not hurting for bitcoins; I started running the first day (and gave up after a few weeks because of the fan noise). Still, it's the thought that counts - thanks!

Hal Finney
Peter Todd
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 12:22:34 AM

Yes, I saw that project, I'm curious to try it out myself, although I'll have to upgrade my computer first.

It's interesting that you found this bug by looking at the code. I mean, the results of it have been sitting in plain sight for, well, anyone to see. Heck, I'm kicking myself for not realizing it, let alone how Gavin and the other devs must feel. It's remarkable that Meni was the first person to notice and bring it to the attention of the forum after all this time, and even then it took your post for what he actually said to sink in.

Re: donations, I sent both you and the OP a BTC after applying your patch. Fortunately for Meni it took two tries for it to be obvious that the patch worked...

Hal
VIP
expert

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 03:46:46 AM

I felt bad about losing that donation address, particularly after elux very generously donated a whole bitcoin. I found a wallet on a backup that had the key, and so I was able to retrieve the funds. Again, thanks very much!

Hal Finney
Sergio_Demian_Lerner
expert

Activity: 551
Merit: 621

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:11:02 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2012, 04:29:06 PM by Sergio_Demian_Lerner

I'm proud of myself  Smiley  because I saw this kind of bug coming. I posted this line on November 6, 2012 in my blog (bitslog):

"The (pseudo) anonymization property of Bitcoin is the easiest property to be lost while modifying the code, since the related code is not encapsulated in a certain class or file, but spread all over the code."

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:10:01 PM

I'm proud of myself  Smiley  because I see this kind of bug coming. I posted this line on November 6, 2012 in my blog (bitslog):

"The (pseudo) anonymization property of Bitcoin is the easiest property to be lost while modifying the code, since the related code is not encapsulated in a certain class or file, but spread all over the code."

Good call Sergio Smiley

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 05:20:41 PM

bitcoin-qt tries to randomize the position of the change output, but I believe the code has a flaw:

vector<CTxOut>::iterator position = wtxNew.vout.begin()+GetRandInt(wtxNew.vout.size());

The problem is that size() is one in the common case of one payee, so GetRandInt will always return 0.The change ends up in the first output.

Exploiting this bug I made a chart showing transaction volume of output #1 only: [CHART] Bitcoin Actual Transaction Volume? (using "change is never last" bug)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
zebedee
Donator

Activity: 668
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 02:02:05 PM

Exploiting this bug I made a chart showing transaction volume of output #1 only: [CHART] Bitcoin Actual Transaction Volume? (using "change is never last" bug)

Electrum had the opposite behaviour though - it always sent the change as the last output (and as currently exists can only do single-destination transactions, so the change was always the second output if there was change).  So guessing change still means guessing what the client used to send the transaction was, which helps anonymity a bit from the date electrum was released.

So I can't agree with you that your results are meaningful.

The most recent 1.6.2 release of Electrum randomizes the change output.

Also, I know some people deliberately send transactions with excess precision to the real output to make the change output have less precision and look like it isn't change.

I really think it's near-impossible to reliably guess the change output if it's not a 0.01xxx amount.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2013, 03:12:03 PM

Electrum had the opposite behaviour though - it always sent the change as the last output (and as currently exists can only do single-destination transactions, so the change was always the second output if there was change).  So guessing change still means guessing what the client used to send the transaction was, which helps anonymity a bit from the date electrum was released.

So I can't agree with you that your results are meaningful.

The most recent 1.6.2 release of Electrum randomizes the change output.

Also, I know some people deliberately send transactions with excess precision to the real output to make the change output have less precision and look like it isn't change.

I really think it's near-impossible to reliably guess the change output if it's not a 0.01xxx amount.

Thanks for pointing out the electrum behavior.

There could be many useful heuristics which, especially when taken together, might yield good results. I'm not going to attempt any such thing and just agree with you that it can't reliably be done.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: