Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:54:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New wallet file ideas  (Read 2627 times)
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 06:07:26 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2012, 06:18:09 PM by etotheipi

With regard to ordering of wallets I never imagined this to be a problem. Mainly because in my mind, somebody would be proposing the relationship with a specific number of vacancies which may or may not be equivalent in purpose. If A were to propose (A AND B) OR C, someone entering that relationship needs to explicitly be choosing slot B or slot C, there would be no ambiguity as to what party is in what slot and they cannot just simply take the first available slot.  Further, I imagine that when the relationship was defined, each of the roles would either be allowed or not allowed to generate addresses. (If B is just a smartphone validating A's transactions, then it would be a waste of resources to assign a chain for B it will never use, but which A will have to walk up and down that chain looking for transactions at great CPU expense just in case it somehow did).

If I use those assumptions, then the field containing the list of parties able to generate addresses would dictate a fixed order and also dictate how to manage the chains so that all parties know where they generate from, assuming they are set to be able to.

I have more reading to do on the contracts and chains and how they work, so it is probable that my assumptions reflect a deficient understanding of those.

My understanding is that we don't have real capability to do ((A and B) or C) yet (or at least, it's not standard), and that only M-of-N multisig is really enabled.  I know you could execute any arbitrary script if you find a miner to do it for you, but that's not in scope for me -- I'm sticking with transactions that will be accepted by the network without special actions.  (I just confirmed with Gavin that non-M-of-N transactions are not standard; redeeming such a P2SH script would require a miner's help)

However, I agree that the design here should be extensible to these cases, when they become available in the future.  But it also seems unnecessary to require extra user-interaction for regular M-of-N transactions where the specific ordering is actually irrelevant to the users, as long as it is deterministic and accessible to all participants.    As a user entering a 2-of-3 wallet with two other parties, I don't actually care what order they go in, and asking the user to specify a totally arbitrary ordering is not only confusing, but ripe for people to do it wrong -- i.e. user A chooses {A,B,C}, but user B accidentally sets up their wallet with {B,A,C}, and then things get all out of whack...

Also, I don't see a reason why there should be a special case for desktop+second-factor (smartphone) vs shared-spouse-wallets.  Just have all 2-of-2 wallets pretend that both chains could be used, because the resource usage of watching for a few extra addresses is trivial.  If it's really a concern, there can be an option in "Expert" usermode to disable the second device chain if you know it won't be used.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:18:40 PM

While you're doing a rewrite, you may consider adding support for output "attributes".
E.g. projects like the colored bitcoins would vastly benefit from code like that (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106373.0), because their algorithms needs to keep track of the color state of individual outputs.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 06:25:28 PM

While you're doing a rewrite, you may consider adding support for output "attributes".
E.g. projects like the colored bitcoins would vastly benefit from code like that (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106373.0), because their algorithms needs to keep track of the color state of individual outputs.

I already have an "extraAttributes" field which is intended to accommodate non-Armory addresses and address chains.  I don't know who else would be leveraging the code base, but at least it gives me room to, say, import and maintain an Electrum-deterministic wallet chain and store any necessary extra information in that field that doesn't fit into the Armory-specific structure.   I'm not sure of exact implementation details, yet, but I do want to try to leave room for things I haven't thought about, yet.  I suppose colored-coin attributes could go there, too.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 06:48:47 PM

My understanding is that we don't have real capability to do ((A and B) or C) yet (or at least, it's not standard), and that only M-of-N multisig is really enabled.  I know you could execute any arbitrary script if you find a miner to do it for you, but that's not in scope for me -- I'm sticking with transactions that will be accepted by the network without special actions.

With what I had in mind, you wouldn't be restricted to any specific pattern of multisig transactions, the data structure could support any kind of multisig relationship imaginable.  You would still restrict users' ability to create such relationships to the ones you consider in scope of course, but the file format itself would accept any.

Here is how I imagine a "relationship" data structure, let's do something weird: (A AND B) OR (C AND D AND E) OR (F AND A) OR ANY5OF (A,B,C,D,E,F), and C,D,E are the ones who can issue addresses.
Code:
Relationship
  Number_Of_Parties = 6
  I_Am_Party = A
  Multisig_Script = OP_WHATEVER pubA OP_WHATEVER pubB OP_WHATEVER pubC etc...
  Address_Issuing_Parties = C,D,E

Party
    Position=A
    Description=Captain
    PrivateChain = xprvxxxxxx
    PublicChain = xpubxxxxxx

Party
    Position=B
    Description=First Officer
    PrivateChain = unknown
    PublicChain = xpubxxxx

Party
    Position=C
    Description=Flight Attendant
    PrivateChain = unknown
    PublicChain = xpubxxxx

Party
    Position=D
    PrivateChain = unknown
    PublicChain = xpubxxxx

Party
    Position=E
    PrivateChain = unknown
    PublicChain = xpubxxxx

Party
    Position=F
    Description=Air Marshal
    PrivateChain = unknown
    PublicChain = xpubxxxx

This structure would originally be created by A, but with "unknowns" for the public keys for B,C,D,E,F, and serialized into a block of text.  That block of text would be sent to the five other parties, who would recognize "OK, this is a multisig proposal with vacancies, which one should I join? First Officer, Flight Crew, or Air Marshal?".  The clients of those parties would emit a record proposing to join the position they chose.

When all six parties have their own record, plus the five of the other parties, they should all recognize the group relationship and be able to start participating in it.

However, I agree that the design here should be extensible to these cases, when they become available in the future.  But it also seems unnecessary to require extra user-interaction for regular M-of-N transactions where the specific ordering is actually irrelevant to the users, as long as it is deterministic and accessible to all participants.    As a user entering a 2-of-3 wallet with two other parties, I don't actually care what order they go in, and asking the user to specify a totally arbitrary ordering is not only confusing, but ripe for people to do it wrong -- i.e. user A chooses {A,B,C}, but user B accidentally sets up their wallet with {B,A,C}, and then things get all out of whack...

At some point, one of the parties must take the initiative and decide "I'm creating a multisig wallet relationship, and the style will be 2-of-3".  I am imagining the process similar to the CSR request for SSL certificates.  At some point, when setting up SSL on a website, one party (web site operator) initiates the deal generating a CSR that says "I'm so-and-so, here is my public key, and I propose the creation of a certificate that looks like x".  The other parties to the deal accept the proposal and respond with "Here is the certificate you asked for".  Someone always has to go first, and there is nothing wrong with tying special responsibilities - like defining the proposed relationship - to the party who does.

At some point, all three parties must exchange some record so that they learn the public chain codes of the other parties.  If they didn't do this, they would never be able to recognize incoming transactions belonging to the relationship.  I see this step as unavoidable.

However, I do see a possibility that several of the roles could be equivalent.  My example above has three "Flight Attendants".  It could be defined that these positions are equivalent in purpose, and that which specific relationship member gets spot C, D, or E, is dictated by numerical order of a hash, rather than forcing the user to pick a spot deliberately hoping another member didn't pick the same one.

At some point, all three parties software must have the ability to express to the human user that they in fact all have the same parameters and keys in mind.  I propose they do this by emitting a hash of the serialized relationship record containing all the public keys in the relationship.  When the clients of all parties to the relationship say "Relationship Successfully Formed: Relationship ID F1175A23", the users can know that all parties are on the same page, and that (for example) party C didn't accidentally use a key that came from somewhere else.

Also, I don't see a reason why there should be a special case for desktop+second-factor (smartphone) vs shared-spouse-wallets.  Just have all 2-of-2 wallets pretend that both chains could be used, because the resource usage of watching for a few extra addresses is trivial.  If it's really a concern, there can be an option in "Expert" usermode to disable the second device chain if you know it won't be used.  

I am not sure I understand how the resource usage is small.  I understand a chain can be used to generate unlimited addresses.  How should the software come to know that of all the addresses generated by party B (for example), the one with sequence number 10,000 has a transaction that needs to be checked for, even if all addresses 0 thru 9999 don't?  I see no way other than actually generating all those addresses just in case and checking them all, and then there is no guarantee that 10000 or any other number is enough if you can't assume how the other party will be using addresses they generate.  While such sparse utilization seems counterintuitive on the surface, it's not all that unusual if you consider that someone setting up an e-commerce web server might pre-generate a huge number of addresses assuming most will be wasted, and then give them out in an arbitrary order (e.g. alphabetical sort instead of the order in which they were actually generated).  If my assumption that the only way for party A to truly know if party B has never received funds at addresses he has issue is to perform an operation that is unbounded in resource usage, it seems prudent to clip it from the start if the use case makes it clearly unlikely to be used.  This of course discounts your assertion that "the resource usage of watching for a few addresses is trivial" - if I have overlooked something and this assertion is guaranteed to always be true for a reason I haven't considered, then yes I agree that it would be a waste to bother with an option that disables address generation roles for parties.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:41:21 PM

I am not sure I understand how the resource usage is small.  I understand a chain can be used to generate unlimited addresses.  How should the software come to know that of all the addresses generated by party B (for example), the one with sequence number 10,000 has a transaction that needs to be checked for, even if all addresses 0 thru 9999 don't?  I see no way other than actually generating all those addresses just in case and checking them all, and then there is no guarantee that 10000 or any other number is enough if you can't assume how the other party will be using addresses they generate.

This.

For occasional interactions, I think that each party should just accept the burden of keeping track of everything they need.  For p2sh, it means keeping a copy of the completed redeemScript (which generally means having all of the pubkeys).  The whole point of using pubkeys is that they can be public, so the service that collects keys can also distribute them when done.

For regular interactions, and particularly when you want to define a stream, each party should generate a new set (seed and chain secrets), and then the problem is reduced a bit to merely passing around names and indexes.  If ABCDEFGHIJK are keys in some complicated scheme, they can be taken to mean AiBiCiDiEiFiGiHiJiKi, when given i, so everyone knows how to generate their part of it.

By the way, for regular X-of-Y multisig, I find it VERY useful to sort the pubkeys before assembly.  In fact, I wish that the default behaviors of createmultisig and addmultisigaddress in the stock client were to sort, possibly with an option to not-sort.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 11:39:37 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2012, 12:01:48 AM by etotheipi

@Casascius,

I recognize that you are proposing something of ultimate flexibility and versatility.  And I actually really like the idea for arbitrarily complex transaction types.  But M-of-N transactions are a degenerate case of that large space of possible transaction types.  Combined with the fact it will be spectacularly more-common than those other cases, I think it's not unreasonable to have a separate "shortcut" method for setting them up.  

However, I do like where your idea is going, and worth some further discussion.  I'd really like to have a way to document and execute these crazy transaction types, I just think a fully developed solution for that is out-of-scope for now.  I think I will leave room in my design to accommodate "relationship" entries in the wallet.  When it is fully developed, I can switch all multi-sig tx over to that...

Though, why can't such relationships be developed by a central organizer?  Rather than distributing the relationship object and letting each person pick a place... there is at least one person that already knows how it should be setup.  Have everyone send that person a public key/wallet, and he will set it all up.  Perhaps the final result can be signed by the private keys of all included public keys, or something like that.

But for now, I think it makes sense to shortcut the couple degenerate cases of 1-of-2, 2-of-2, 2-of-3, 3-of-3, and handle all the details automatically for the user.  A user simply wants the transaction to require 2 of 3 signatures, and has his own private chain and the other two public chains.  He doesn't care about the internal ordering of keys, but he does require everyone to use the same ordering.  He also wants to avoid address collisions in the event that multiple parties try to create transactions at the same time with the same ordering.  I think this technique resolves all of that, and can be represented quite simply to the user.

The issue with look-ahead in deterministic wallets is an annoying problem.  Most regular users, really don't need more than 10 addresses lookahead, 100 to be safe.  However, e-commerce users/merchants might need significantly more lookahead than that.  For that reason, I defaulted to 100 address lookahead with Armory, and added a button to let users extend the lookahead as far as they want.  I expect that any business users interested in this application, will have the knowledge to know which knobs to tweak -- i.e: set lookahead to 10,000 addresses & disable second chain.  

Therefore, Armory users using two-factor auth as I have described, only have 100 extra addresses in their wallet.  One time.  If the second chain is never used, then it never increases.  The way Armory scans the blockchain, search time is O(log N) in the number of addresses in the wallet (because they're stored in a BST in RAM, so that's how long it takes to check if an address is in your wallet).  As such, 100 extra addresses is trivial, both in HDD space, and extra computation time.  If the user needs more than 100 lookahead, they are also likely knowledgeable enough to know what options to change for their application.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 12:48:30 AM

That works for me and am satisfied just by that you understand what I propose well enough to decide whether it's appropriate for inclusion in your client, even if the answer is no.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 01:02:48 AM

That works for me and am satisfied just by that you understand what I propose well enough to decide whether it's appropriate for inclusion in your client, even if the answer is no.

The answer is:  you just seeded an excellent discussion about the far future of Bitcoin escrow/contracts, but I think that future hasn't arrived yet.  And when it does arrive, I'd love to see that discussed and developed into an inter-client standard.  Until then, the M-of-N cases are dramatically simpler, and can actually be used right now, thus it warrants a separate [simpler] treatment Smiley  (plus, there will probably be some lessons learned from M-of-N execution to be applied to the more-general case)

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 08:22:34 PM

Another idea was just proposed to me, which I really like.  Out of scope for the first two ideas I presented, but completely relevant for a new wallet design:

Encrypted watching-only wallets

Some users have expressed concern that, although their BTC is safe if their online laptop is stolen because they keep their coins offline, the person that stole their laptop now knows their identity and the fact that they own $50k in BTC.  It would be best if the thief had no information at all...

As such, I'm thinking I could add an extra layer of encryption, to encrypt the public keys, addresses and transaction IDs stored in the wallet.  This "outer" encryption would use the same encryption scheme as the one used for private keys, but it would only have to be entered once when the app is started and would have no timeout .  This means that the data is always stored on disk encrypted, and the decrypted version only exists in RAM.

It would also be nice if all such wallets (per-computer?) had the same encryption.  So if you have multiple wallets, you still only type your passphrase once.  I can see it getting out of hand when you have multiple devices with different addresses, and then start juggling wallets around.  But there's only so much I can do about that...

Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:06:32 AM

That sounds like duplicating operating systems existing support for disk encryption.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary
expert

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 12:20:54 AM

That sounds like duplicating operating systems existing support for disk encryption.

Is it?  What if you want your watching-only wallet encrypted but you don't have disk encryption setup?  What if you don't know how to setup disk encryption?  Wouldn't the same argument apply to the private keys, too?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think there's another key advantage (but I don't know much about the way these things are implemented).  If you use FS encryption, then once you've booted and your OS has requested and unlocked the filesystem encryption, then anyone who gains access to your system while it is running will be able to read that file, even if they got access to your system remotely (the OS will decrypt for them).  But if it's done at the application level, then the file will always be encrypted, and the only way for them to get the info will be to pull it out of your memory space.  I'm pretty sure that is "difficult."  But I don't know for sure...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: