Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:30:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: the fate of bitcoins (all will be lost - literally and eventually)  (Read 1839 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 08:12:23 PM

I kinda disagree.

I have no problem with the mathematical concept of infinitely dividing the remining bitcoins, BUT the problem is that nobody knows that the lost bitcoins are lost or simply kept under someone's mattress ...
That's a good point.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 09:05:58 PM

my harddrive went extremely south shortly after... i.s. no backup, and all my attempts to recover my lost wallet failed. 

I asked around and was told there really is no way to recover a lost wallet if I had no backup.

There is a tool that searches a disk device for strings that are bitcoin private keys.   So even if you can't access the filesystem, if the bits are on the drive they might yet be recoverable:

Bitcoin private key/wallet.dat data recovery tool!
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=25091.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:55:40 AM

I agree with the backup suggestions but am curious how you could do a paper backup?  I know this is something my wife would feel more comfortable with?  Are you saying that you simply print the addresses found in the wallet?

You might want to look into using the Armory bitcoin client. It can handle of lot of tasks like making paper backups and backing up the keys of individual addresses you might have.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: