Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:17:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum wallet showing 0 balance -but blockchain.info shows correct balance  (Read 1031 times)
treodu (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 01:24:25 PM

Is electrum still a safe client?  I have discovered an electrum bug but i find it hard to believe im the only one - im technically savy but not a programmer who may try things that stress the code electrum is built on to cause this new/undiscovered weaknesses/bug in this 4yr old software - i have not found any identically similar problems anywhere on the web (onion network nor open web).

Problem specs:
Linux kali 4.0.0-kali1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.0.4-1+kali2 (2015-06-03) i686 GNU/Linux
Electrum 1.9.8 via tor localhost port (this setup works - i have sent, recieved, and verified transactions via tor port for anonymity)

The Electrum Bug:
Bitcoins were sent to address - transaction verified - funds available in account via other clients but electrum does not show correct balance.  I restored the electrum wallet via key - correct public receive address displays but balance is not correct.

- i can find the transaction on https://blockchain.info/ - i can see the balance using a watch-only address -
  -is uninstall/reinstall electrum the only way to properly update wallet balances?
  -wallet.clear_history() from http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/41042/why-i-am-not-seeing-received-money-in-my-electrum#comment47223_41056 does not  work
  -github still seems to be working the bug out https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/issues/1525 , or may not fully realize this bug exists
  -electrum can locate the funding transaction on the blockchain (should i broadcast? it is already recorded on blockchain.info so broadcasting seems redundent) i have saved the imported transaction if posting it here would be of help.troubleshooting

Thank you electrum delvelopers in advance for you time and attention to keeping electrum a strong bitcoin client - bitcoin community needs and appreciates you.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 02:18:25 PM

I can't seem to understand why people use old out-dated versions while there is more updated versions of the software honestly , Make sure to save the seed somewhere safe or the private keys .
If the balance is actually visible on the blockchain then you shouldn't worry much , so what you can do now is Install the latest Electrum release and try to restore your wallet and see how things goes .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
treodu (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:41:56 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2017, 02:06:29 PM by treodu

apologies for my sharp reply - i was frantically trying to split coins and found myself impatient with the lack of advice being given to the community. @OmegaStarScream you are correct the concept of bitcoin is if it is on the blockchain then you are certain regardless of software - and reinstalling may well have solved something for a novice user.  My issue at the time was i KNEW how electrum should 'flawlessly' work.....and despite all my attempts it was fighting me tooth and network sync nail.  The community is aware of the lack of clear information and that has caused many new comers to loose coins, have coins frozen, lost hodl splits and i appreciate @OmegaStarScream reply with well documented advice - although it was not the information i needed to solve my particular problem.

for all newbies who encounter issues with electrum Bitcoin wallet no syncing, not connecting to network, or not finding transactions here is a list of troubleshooting tips

1)Tools -> Network -> check 'select server automatically'
      if 'select server automatically' is checked then uncheck and select a server
      repeat process two or three times back and forth between 'automatically' and selecting a server
2)If your issue is similar to above and the transaction is on the blockchain but not syncing to electrum
   Tool -> Load Transaction -> From the blockchain
   you will be prompted to enter the transaction id of the trasaction missing from electrum
These are no garauntees but these solutions will not harm electrum nor your coins and may solve this potential difficult situation

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: