Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:41:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi's PGP Keys Are Probably Backdated and Point to a Hoax  (Read 637 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 11:58:42 PM

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/satoshis-pgp-keys-are-probably-backdated-and-point-to-a-hoax

A good article on Vice magazine which is a huge website and gets tons of traffic. It expands on the points made by Greg Maxwell a couple of hours ago. It's impossible to claim Craig Wright is Satoshi at this point, you would need to take a big leap of faith to do so. Im not saying he isn't 100%, but at the same time anyone that thinks he's the real deal is being delusional.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:01:06 AM

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/satoshis-pgp-keys-are-probably-backdated-and-point-to-a-hoax

A good article on Vice magazine which is a huge website and gets tons of traffic. It expands on the points made by Greg Maxwell a couple of hours ago. It's impossible to claim Craig Wright is Satoshi at this point, you would need to take a big leap of faith to do so. Im not saying he isn't 100%, but at the same time anyone that thinks he's the real deal is being delusional.

I really don't get the point of all the buzz. What difference does it make if he's really satoshi or not??
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:04:46 AM

Damn it !!! What does it mean ? One day my private keys can also be backdated and I may lose my cold storage because I did not upgrade my private keys ?

p.s. Sorry, I DONT understand cryptography.
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:14:54 AM

Thanks or sharing this. This really explains the pgp issue very well.

From the initial wired article:

Quote from: wired
two possibilities outweigh all others: Either Wright invented bitcoin, or he’s a brilliant hoaxer who very badly wants us to believe he did.

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:16:05 AM

I really don't get the point of all the buzz. What difference does it make if he's really satoshi or not??

It is huge news if he is really Satoshi, but may people - me included doubt that theory. Something is fishy around all this case.
I am not an expert in cryptography but facts presented by that article are worth moment of ponder.

What is the most interesting here are those facts:

-The Wired and Gizmodo Keys that supposedly lead back to Satoshi weren’t previously known to be linked to Satoshi, and their 2008 creation date could have been faked.
-Both keys use a list of cipher-suites that don’t match up to the Original Key, and weren’t added to GPG until 2009.
-The Wired key was retroactively added to a 2008 blogpost sometime between 2012 and 2014, as noted in its story.
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:22:34 AM

Lol it's huge, if you don't see why I don't know what to tell you, it should be obvious. Of course Bitcoin continue its path to success with or without an anonymous creator but nonetheless it's big news. It seems it's all going to end up in nothing again anyway.
CoinCube
Legendary

Merit: 1055

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:41:08 AM

What is the most interesting here are those facts:

-The Wired and Gizmodo Keys that supposedly lead back to Satoshi weren’t previously known to be linked to Satoshi, and their 2008 creation date could have been faked.
-Both keys use a list of cipher-suites that don’t match up to the Original Key, and weren’t added to GPG until 2009.
-The Wired key was retroactively added to a 2008 blogpost sometime between 2012 and 2014, as noted in its story.

In addition to these there is the evidence that Mr. Wright is in significant financial distress and may have been perhaps since the collapse of Mt. Gox. Mt. Gox suspended withdrawls in US dollars in June 2013 around the same time a lot of the evidence seems to have been created.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1281650.0

Seems that this Satoshi may have defrauded the Australian Government possibly out of 50 million. Pretty Certain has become highly certain that this is not Satoshi. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-australian-who-may-have-invented-bitcoin-claimed-to-have-landed-54m-in-taxpayer-funded-rebates-2015-12

Add in the info from coindesk that shows that Wright may be in significant financial distress due to significant losses from the failure of Mt. Gox
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-creator-craig-wright-lose-bitcoin-mt-gox-collapse/

The document states:

"Dr Wright, as the major shareholder no longer being able to provide financial accommodation to the Company due to the collapse of the Mount Gox Bitcoin registry where we understand Dr Wright had a significant exposure."

The document does not provide exact numbers for Wright's losses, which came amid the hundreds of thousands of bitcoins believed to have been stolen from the exchange.

Another reference to Wright's involvement with Mt Gox is contained within an unconfirmed transcript of a meeting with the Australia Tax Office published by Gizmodo. In addition to Wright, the meeting's attendees included ATO representative Des McMaster and attorney Andrew Sommer.

During the meeting, McMaster refers to "issues overseas" related to Gox. In the transcript, the exchange – mistakenly called "Mount Cox" – is allegedly holding funds belonging to Wright.

If the document is authentic, the meeting, which took place on 18th February, came just over a week before the Tokyo-based Mt Gox filed for bankruptcy.

NorrisK
Legendary

Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 07:43:21 AM

Damn it !!! What does it mean ? One day my private keys can also be backdated and I may lose my cold storage because I did not upgrade my private keys ?

p.s. Sorry, I DONT understand cryptography.

No nothing like that at all. He just made it look like the keys were created in the past, while they were actually created with software that was released this year.

Thus, it is impossible for him to have been able to create those keys in the past, unless he modified some settings back than when he made the first known satoshi key.
Cs87kxy

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

https://BoostCrypto.com - Earn 250% in 200 Hours

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 08:02:22 AM

really nice article.
I am an eager reader of my local edition of vice!

Only one key, the Original Key, is actually known to be associated with Satoshi.
The Wired and Gizmodo Keys that supposedly lead back to Satoshi weren’t previously known to be linked to Satoshi, and their 2008 creation date could have been faked.
Both keys use a longer and less-common key size than the Original Key.
Both keys use a list of cipher-suites that don’t match up to the Original Key, and weren’t added to GPG until 2009.
The Wired key was retroactively added to a 2008 blogpost sometime between 2012 and 2014, as noted in its story.
A core Bitcoin developer who’s been involved from nearly the beginning looked back at 2011 chatlogs referring to “fake” Satoshi keys on keyservers, and found no reference to either the Gizmodo or Wired keys. He thinks that those keys weren’t yet uploaded to the keyserver in 2011.

These passage I think are almost 99,99% sure about this story.
In my personal opinion only one person can't develop a project like this Smiley .
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 08:18:46 AM

i think it can invoke some trust on average joe, and may increase the demand, if satoshi was to reveal himself

seems that people after all like to have a "central authority"
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 10:28:38 PM

The media's job is exactly this, to make a buzz whenever they this there should be buzz being made.

Not that I think that Satoshi's real identity doesn't deserve a buzz. Of course it does! But this is like 10th time that we are finding Satoshi and we still haven't found him and most probably we will not find him in the future!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: