Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:15:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I miss about bitcoin trading from 2013  (Read 1998 times)
TERA (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 07:14:07 AM

1. Mtgox and its huge volume, and api.

2. Regularly seeing 5K-30K coin walls pop up in the course of normal trading (it wasn't 'bearwhale' or 'bullwhale', just normal).

3. The lack of dark orders.

4. Clark Moody (for some reason, it just released more dopamine than the other charting sites hands down).

5. Animations from the admin on Bitcoinity to celebrate or joke about key price levels.

6. Rippling effects after each price movement that would give you ample chances to get in or simply profit off the ripples.

7. The ability to make a trade on btce immediately after seeing it on gox and 'cheat'.

8. Taking advantage of trading bots that had gone haywire.

9. Being able to take advantage of technical glitches on exchanges to make easy trades.

10. In general, being able to trade without knowing any kind of TA.

11. Arbitrage and inter-exchange fiat channels.

12. Massive crazy alt coin pumps on btce led by fontas.

13. Altcoin IPOs on btce.

14. The gox litecoin ipo.

15. Huge altcoin arbitrade opportunities on the emerging high volume altcoin exchanges.

16. The lack of huge fake confusing CNY volume.

17. My trading competition being high on drugs from silk road.

18. The weird glitchy liquidity link between bitfinex and bitstamp.

19. Gpu mining and having weeks to profitably mine a new altcoin.

20. Being ahead of the awareness curve. My grandfather wasn't telling me about bitcoin yet.

21. The lack of reporters using big jazzy wall street terminology. The focus on the application and organic user economy rather than 'getting the big money in and the next big name company in'.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 07:32:13 AM

welcome back.
koryu

Activity: 681
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 08:54:38 AM

clarkmoody chart was pretty nice, indeed, still have it bookmarked
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:06:15 AM

clarkmoody chart was pretty nice, indeed, still have it bookmarked

Oh man, that was a great time. I was running clarkmoody for 24 hours a day. They should bring it back but then give us the option to choose from several exchanges.

Regarding OP; MtGox was the king of walls. Nowadays you rarily see walls of at least 1000. And once you do see them, they get pulled once the price is near that wall. MtGox walls weren't moving at all  Cheesy

Back then when I used to do altcoins trading, it was the Litecoin MtGox IPO that so many people were waiting for. I kept fooling myself; 'The price will shoot up to insane price levels if MtGox starts to trade Litecoin on their exchange'  Cheesy
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 11:22:22 AM

huge opportunity to make more bitcoin via some major altcoin that are now perfectly death or near it, like aurora blakccoin and darkcoin

with aurora for example there was the possibility to do x100
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 12:07:47 PM

Screw all that.  The fact that Bitcoin was being praised on the cover of The Economist, the official economics magazine of the New World Order, means you no longer need to trade.  Just HODL and wait for such profits.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:00:12 PM

Screw all that.  The fact that Bitcoin was being praised on the cover of The Economist, the official economics magazine of the New World Order, means you no longer need to trade.  Just HODL and wait for such profits.

You are right, most of this stuff was just showing how Bitcoin was immature and all of this needed to stay behind us in order for us to be taken serious!

But I still do miss some of these days! I mean I have gotten once in one week 1btc worth of community coin and 0.5 BTC worth of coffee coin that I just dumped right away on the exchange! Smiley
Loimu

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:35:36 PM

Heh this brings back lot of good memories, very good and well thought list. Can agree to most of those!

ultimatesky

Activity: 714

SkyFall

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 02:56:58 PM

Well hello there, another year is closing and a new one is coming up. This was all in the past, yes there were some good times. But I believe many more good times are yet to come.
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 03:49:54 PM

Well hello there, another year is closing and a new one is coming up. This was all in the past, yes there were some good times. But I believe many more good times are yet to come.

Yeah that is true, that is why a lot of people is hoping that 2016 will be a good year of bitcoin like in year 2013.
We will see what well happend I think it will be almost similar like 2013.
aizzaku
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 03:58:22 PM

the nostalgia eh...  Cry Cry

i miss the GPU mining .. making pool and mining new alt coins at launch and storing it ..

BlockchainGaming A PARADIGM SHIFT IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY
Website | Blog | Forum | Wiki | Events | Marketplace (coming soon)
TERA (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 03:58:58 PM

Screw all that.  The fact that Bitcoin was being praised on the cover of The Economist, the official economics magazine of the New World Order, means you no longer need to trade.  Just HODL and wait for such profits.

This is boring. In 2013-2014 I increased my bitcoin count by a factor of 100x, in addition to the usd value increase (which is only 3x since my first purchase). With simply holding, I might get another 20x usd value increase (and no btc increase) in a matter of several years or more if everything goes perfectly and bitcoin reaches maturity. That's much much slower. No more glorious days where my net worth suddenly doubles or triples in one sitting of trading. I'm exposed to much more time risk (more time for black swan events and things not going perfectly). I hate really long term investing in general.  Nothing can compare to the glorious days in 2013 where anyone with a little intelligence and a set of balls can go suddenly go from being nothing to being something with no capital.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 04:16:58 PM

Screw all that.  The fact that Bitcoin was being praised on the cover of The Economist, the official economics magazine of the New World Order, means you no longer need to trade.  Just HODL and wait for such profits.

This is boring. In 2013-2014 I increased my bitcoin count by a factor of 100x, in addition to the usd value increase (which is only 3x since my first purchase). With simply holding, I might get another 20x usd value increase (and no btc increase) in a matter of several years or more if everything goes perfectly and bitcoin reaches maturity. That's much much slower. No more glorious days where my net worth suddenly doubles or triples in one sitting of trading. I'm exposed to much more time risk (more time for black swan events and things not going perfectly). I hate really long term investing in general.  Nothing can compare to the glorious days in 2013 where anyone with a little intelligence and a set of balls can go suddenly go from being nothing to being something with no capital.

i want the same. shit, 10folding would be enough. even doubling.

will watch your posts very closely now... Wink
TERA (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 05:17:43 PM

Cry
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:24:25 PM

4. Clark Moody (for some reason, it just released more dopamine than the other charting sites hands down).

Cry
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:35:44 PM

I'm hoping alt pumps will return, those certainly were the days.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:43:06 PM

i want the same. shit, 10folding would be enough. even doubling.

will watch your posts very closely now... Wink

well i think it's just luck, if he is really skilled he should have no problem in repeating it more times

but it happened only one time, so i guess it could be pure luck
TERA (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:01:36 PM

Well to be honest,  my btc-denominated gains were not really due to solid predictions about btc/usd decreases but wereally more due to glitches, intraday waves, technicalities,  altcoins, arbitrage, and all that other stuff I mentioned that doesn't really happen anymore.  I was actually notoriously bad at predicting btc/usd in 2013 until I finally gave in and bought/leveraged the November bubble.  Come to think of it,  most of my best trading was litecoin.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:25:49 PM

Ah yes, brings me back. What I find funny is how many people are confidently predicting what bitcoin's price will or will not do in the next few months. They clearly haven't been around for the old honey badger days Smiley

Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 09:28:02 PM

I'm hoping alt pumps will return, those certainly were the days.

I wouldn't bet on it. Do you know actually how many people have lost money and left the crypto forever? I bet many!

For every Bitcoin I made out there on trading, etc, someone had to lose it. And I think all of this has made us more damage than good, even though some people have profited.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: