Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:56:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum won´t send my bitcoins to another wallet!  (Read 4152 times)
shadrachgreenwald (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 07:15:38 AM

Hi all,

So I´ve tried several times with days in between to transfer bitcoins from my Electrum wallet to another wallet.

Info: Electrum wallet version 2.5.4 for Mac OS X (macbook). Yesterday I tried transferring bitcoins and was prompted for my password (encrypted wallet), then for my Google Authenticator number, which I entered, I pressed "Send", some seconds went by and I get a dialog box which says the transfer was successful. Yay! I think. But my bitcoins do not appear in the new wallet. For a while the bitcoins in my Electrum wallet appeared as a lower amount (original amount minus the amount transferred). But after a while my Electrum wallet appears full and my new wallet is still empty. Also the "History" tab in my electrum wallet only shows the original transfer from my bitcoin exchange to my Electrum wallet. As if the other transfer to the new wallet never happened! This I did with 0 fees.

Ok, so you think it is the fees. Next I did it with 0.55 mBTC in fees, the recommended amount by Electrum. Same thing happened, only this time my Electrum wallet appeared as full all the time, and it was as if the transfer never took place.

Now today I tried again (with recommended fees), after installing the newest version of Electrum (2.5.4), although my "old" one was only a month or so old. This time I am not even prompted for my password, my google authenticator code, I get no dialog box saying "Successful" and it is as if nothing happens! WTF! How hard can it be to transfer funds from one wallet to another? What am I doing wrong?

Please help Smiley
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2015, 08:16:19 AM

which was the old version?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:01:47 PM

which was the old version?

I downloaded it a month or so ago, so pretty new, I don´t remember the version number. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the version, because it isn´t working now either. I downloaded both from the official Electrum website. I am trying to find a guide or something, to so whether I am messing up a step, but the FAQ on Electrum´s website does not address my situation or questions. Nor is there a simple guide on how to transfer funds. I can´t believe I am the only one having a problem.
shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 06:38:18 PM

It might be because it is partially signed. If so, how do I get it to be "fully signed"? It also might be because I have "Change Addresses" disabled. Or because Electrum says "Server is lagging"on the bottom. Although I do have "Auto-connect" enabled, so it should find the fastest server.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Please help Smiley
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2015, 07:20:16 PM

It might be because it is partially signed. If so, how do I get it to be "fully signed"? It also might be because I have "Change Addresses" disabled. Or because Electrum says "Server is lagging"on the bottom. Although I do have "Auto-connect" enabled, so it should find the fastest server.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Please help Smiley
That is your problem, you are using the 2fa thing, which uses multisig addresses. IIRC you will need to pay a small fee to the 2fa company so that they sign your transaction so that it is fully signed and will work. This article might help: https://api.trustedcoin.com/#/electrum-help

shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2015, 08:01:22 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Cheesy

Yeah I remeber enabling the 2FA thing when I set it up, but how do I turn it off then? I couldn´t find anything under settings :/

Also, I tried again and got a new error message, a triangle with an exclamation point in it, typical warning sign, and the text said "invalid otp". What the heck does that mean? And no link to any explanation or help. I can´t really say that Electrum is very user friendly...
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Cheesy

Yeah I remeber enabling the 2FA thing when I set it up, but how do I turn it off then? I couldn´t find anything under settings :/

Also, I tried again and got a new error message, a triangle with an exclamation point in it, typical warning sign, and the text said "invalid otp". What the heck does that mean? And no link to any explanation or help. I can´t really say that Electrum is very user friendly...
Electrum's 2fa works by using a multisignature address, which means that in order to spend the Bitcoin in that address, multiple people need to sign the transaction. The only way to "turn it off" is to send all of the Bitcoin to another address.

I'm not very sure on how to use the 2fa since I haven't really used it, but I think you need to pay a small fee to Trustedcoin in order send the transaction. I'm not entirely sure how it works.

shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 06:40:49 AM

You´re absolutely right. "invalid otp" probably stands for "invalid one-time-password" which would be the 2 factor authenticator code from Google Authenticator. For some reason Electrum/TrustedCoin does not recognize it. The problem is, because of this I cannot transfer the funds to a different wallet, it won´t let me because it will not accept my 2 Factor Authenticator code. So what do I do now? Is my bitcoins just locked away in my wallet and I can never transfer them anywhere?

If I restored my wallet from my seed, would I also restore the "type" of wallet it is? I.e. would it still be a 2 Factor Authenticator wallet? In which case my money is permanently locked away?
shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 06:55:51 AM

OK, I read on a forum that if you restore your 2FA wallet from seed the 2FA will go away. But how do I restore from wallet in Electrum? If I go to the "File" menu there is a combined item that says "New/restore" as if that is the same thing??!! If I press it, it only prompts me to create a new wallet. I already done that, but that doesn´t help. I want to restore my old wallet, which I currently have access to but can´t transfer funds out of because of the stupid 2FA. Please help!!!
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 11:29:38 AM

please read the docs: http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/2fa.html#restoring-from-seed

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
shadrachgreenwald (OP)

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 04:50:21 PM

Hi,

I did read the docs and they are not helpful. There is no step-by-step guide to restoring your wallet. It just a dialog box where you can choose to restore the wallet from seed. How did they get to this dialog box? At the top of the dialog box from "the docs" it says Electrum - install wizard. Does that mean I have to delete Electrum entirely and reinstall it? Is that the only way to restore a wallet? BTW, there is no explanation of any of that in the docs. It just says your coins are not lost because you can restore them from the seed. It does not however, explain how to go about doing that.

Please help rather than referring me to other places. When I go to a forum it is not for something I could find in the FAQ or guides provided by the website of the product or service I am using. Of course I have checked that out already.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 12:52:39 PM

Hi,

I did read the docs and they are not helpful. There is no step-by-step guide to restoring your wallet. It just a dialog box where you can choose to restore the wallet from seed. How did they get to this dialog box? At the top of the dialog box from "the docs" it says Electrum - install wizard. Does that mean I have to delete Electrum entirely and reinstall it? Is that the only way to restore a wallet? BTW, there is no explanation of any of that in the docs. It just says your coins are not lost because you can restore them from the seed. It does not however, explain how to go about doing that.

Please help rather than referring me to other places. When I go to a forum it is not for something I could find in the FAQ or guides provided by the website of the product or service I am using. Of course I have checked that out already.

well, this is the dialog box you should see after you enter the filename.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
iZags

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 07, 2016, 08:53:51 AM

Hi all,

So I´ve tried several times with days in between to transfer bitcoins from my Electrum wallet to another wallet.

Info: Electrum wallet version 2.5.4 for Mac OS X (macbook). Yesterday I tried transferring bitcoins and was prompted for my password (encrypted wallet), then for my Google Authenticator number, which I entered, I pressed "Send", some seconds went by and I get a dialog box which says the transfer was successful. Yay! I think. But my bitcoins do not appear in the new wallet. For a while the bitcoins in my Electrum wallet appeared as a lower amount (original amount minus the amount transferred). But after a while my Electrum wallet appears full and my new wallet is still empty. Also the "History" tab in my electrum wallet only shows the original transfer from my bitcoin exchange to my Electrum wallet. As if the other transfer to the new wallet never happened! This I did with 0 fees.

Ok, so you think it is the fees. Next I did it with 0.55 mBTC in fees, the recommended amount by Electrum. Same thing happened, only this time my Electrum wallet appeared as full all the time, and it was as if the transfer never took place.

Now today I tried again (with recommended fees), after installing the newest version of Electrum (2.5.4), although my "old" one was only a month or so old. This time I am not even prompted for my password, my google authenticator code, I get no dialog box saying "Successful" and it is as if nothing happens! WTF! How hard can it be to transfer funds from one wallet to another? What am I doing wrong?

Please help Smiley

I'm having the same issue! Did you find a solution??
I tried on Electrum 2.6.2 and 2.6.4.

When I try to transfer, the status say: Partially signed. And no money gone.
If I type my 2FA code after my password, I get: Invalid otp

Can anyone please help!?

Thank you!!

iZ
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
September 14, 2016, 10:45:54 AM

Can anyone please help!?

Thank you!!

iZ

Invalid otp means the 2fa code you typed in is incorrect. Usually this happens because the time on your PC and/or your mobile are wrong. So make sure the clock on both those devices is set correctly.
johnarrache1989

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 04:33:21 PM

Can anyone please help!?

Thank you!!

iZ

Invalid otp means the 2fa code you typed in is incorrect. Usually this happens because the time on your PC and/or your mobile are wrong. So make sure the clock on both those devices is set correctly.

Hi, I get the same problem as you, i checked up the time on my pc and everything is okay? Could you help me please?

Gratefully
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 29, 2016, 04:53:33 PM

Can anyone please help!?

Thank you!!

iZ

Hi, I get the same problem as you, i checked up the time on my pc and everything is okay? Could you help me please?

Gratefully

do you have the seed written down? In older versions it was 25 words. In the latest version i believe it is 12 words.

If you have the seed written down then use the file menu > new/restore option to restore your wallet. Be sure to select 2fa as the wallet type when asked. Use file > open to open this wallet in future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: