Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 02:36:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will my rigs generate as much heat mining LTC as well as they do BTC?  (Read 937 times)
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:31:42 AM

It's currently 17'F outside my house, and my mining rigs are doing a great job keeping my rooms well above 70'F. Actually, I've found myself needing to open the windows a few times a day to keep it from getting too hot. Since they are going to be useless for mining BTC in the near future, can I expect approximately the same heat generation if I was mining LTC? More heat, less heat?

I'm hoping I can get away with heating parts of my house this winter with mining rigs. Expensive electric bill, but they should be able to pay themselves off as well giving me some free heating.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:37:24 AM

It's currently 17'F outside my house, and my mining rigs are doing a great job keeping my rooms well above 70'F. Actually, I've found myself needing to open the windows a few times a day to keep it from getting too hot. Since they are going to be useless for mining BTC in the near future, can I expect approximately the same heat generation if I was mining LTC? More heat, less heat?

I'm hoping I can get away with heating parts of my house this winter with mining rigs. Expensive electric bill, but they should be able to pay themselves off as well giving me some free heating.

More heat and look forward to ~10% extra on the electric bill.
mufa23 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:40:14 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Kinda off topic, but generally LTC miners suggest a GB of RAM for each videocard, right? I'm looking ti get more involved in the LTC market soon.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
SAC

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:24:29 PM

Kinda off topic, but generally LTC miners suggest a GB of RAM for each videocard, right? I'm looking ti get more involved in the LTC market soon.

Well I have seen people suggest it but am thinking it is windows only or they are not using cgminer thing. With cgminer on ubuntu my machines which have at most a single 2gb stick in them most only 1gb and averaging 3 cards per machine they all work fine with that little amount of ram in them.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:51:50 PM

LTC uses about 40% more electricity for me and increases the cards 12C in temperature. YMMV.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:52:40 PM

reaper requires as much memory allocated per card in the system memory, cgminer doesn't

see the guide in my sig

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: