Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:34:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin allows for reversible transactions!  (Read 3490 times)
chriswilmer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 01:49:25 PM

I apologize if this is obvious or someone else mentioned this already... but I just realized that Bitcoin allows for reversible transactions!

As Bitcoin's critics sometimes mention, charge-backs can be viewed as a good thing that protect consumers. Whatever your views are on credit card companies, certainly there are use-cases when you want the customer, rather than the merchant, to have more leverage/power/comfort/trust by being able to reverse the transaction.

You can do this by being your own mediator. You send bitcoins from address A to address B with address A as a mediator (ABA). Then based on whether you are satisfied with the outcome, you confirm (or reverse) your own transaction.

Thoughts?
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 01:56:13 PM

Escrow is used fairly regularly for bitcoin transactions, but bitcoin itself is not reversible - you're using a third party to send your coins back to you, not actually reversing the transaction.
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 01:59:48 PM

I think the OP was meaning that the purchaser acts as their own Escrow (more like A B C where the purchaser owns both the A and C addresses).

The problem is that I doubt that many vendors would be interested in having purchasers being their own Escrow (except for perhaps services such as a VPN or VPS or some other "account" that can be easily shut down if the tx isn't finally confirmed).

In the case of such "account" type services I guess this could be a somewhat useful "try before you buy" option.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:00:04 PM

If you can reverse the payment it's no different to just not making it in the first place. If you want to prove to a merchant that you do have the money, you can sign a nonce they provide with some of your keys then show the merchant the unspent transactions.

Credit card chargebacks are really just a specialized case of dispute mediation in which the buyer always wins. Bitcoin can do better and more nuanced dispute mediation than that, but nobody built the infrastructure for it yet. It'll come with time.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 02:11:18 PM

My upcoming system will cover this bitcoins-r-us.com.
Check it out, I also have a small video I made to preview it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4nAPAyKRAE&feature=youtu.be

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 03:20:41 PM

On the portuguese section there was a guy with a similar idea, he have a website https://www.bitcointoyou.com/broker/Home.aspx

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: