Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:00:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Donate to Wikipedia with Bitcoin  (Read 6364 times)
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:28:44 PM

Don't forget to show them (the Wikipedians) how much money you will have donated from Bitcoin users.

Signature space available for rent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:46:07 PM

Don't forget to show them (the Wikipedians) how much money you will have donated from Bitcoin users.

And us. Please show us too the mountains of coins that will be donated.... Lips sealed
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:59:23 PM

Thanks for the initiative but I won't donate until THEY ask for bitcoin donation.

+1

I think you should hold all the money donated for a month or so and show Wikipedia how much they are missing out. Only pay if the officially setup their own account, otherwise refund everyone and the end.

+1

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:02:46 PM

I think you should hold all the money donated for a month or so and show Wikipedia how much they are missing out. Only pay if the officially setup their own account, otherwise refund everyone and the end.
So you are suggesting Bitpay should scam me? I don't like that suggestion.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:03:24 PM

Thanks for the initiative but I won't donate until THEY ask for bitcoin donation.

+1

+1
+1

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:04:25 PM

Be sure to mention that more of us are ready to donate when they have their own bitcoin addy.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:05:51 PM

I don't call it dogma, I call it boycott and yes I will boycott as much as I can those who don't accept my bitcoins.

If you honestly don't use/read/consult wikipedia ever as part of your boycott, then you are totally in the clear and my argument doesn't really apply to you.

And it ain't trollin' if dem facts be true. Fact 1: You claim to want to donate to wikipedia with BTC. Fact 2: You have a way to do so. Cheesy Cheesy
I often read wikipedia and so far it seems they don't want our donations, it seems they have enough money

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:36:23 PM

I don't call it dogma, I call it boycott and yes I will boycott as much as I can those who don't accept my bitcoins.

If you honestly don't use/read/consult wikipedia ever as part of your boycott, then you are totally in the clear and my argument doesn't really apply to you.

And it ain't trollin' if dem facts be true. Fact 1: You claim to want to donate to wikipedia with BTC. Fact 2: You have a way to do so. Cheesy Cheesy
I often read wikipedia and so far it seems they don't want our donations, it seems they have enough money

If they have enough money why is 1/3 of my screen taken up by their banner ad begging for money?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:44:24 PM

I have no idea but if they really need money then they would accept bitcoin and would not be so picky about donations

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:49:50 PM

I have no idea but if they really need money then they would accept bitcoin and would not be so picky about donations

Exact. A donation is a donation so they should not spit on it if they really need it.

Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:59:46 PM

So you are suggesting Bitpay should scam me? I don't like that suggestion.

it's not a scam, wiki either accepts the btc via bitpay by making an official account or bitpay refunds it if they don't create an account and you get to use that publicity to hammer it home to them they they can't really be hurting for money that bad if they are turning it down.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:06:04 PM

As much as I like seeing bitpay being proactive I have many doubts The Wikimedia Foundation will like this.
And I don't like it either, TBH...
Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:40:22 PM

How does this work for tax purposes?  If I give bitcoins to BitPay, and BitPay gives dollars to Wikipedia, WIkipedia will issue a tax receipt showing BitPay as the donor.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2012, 09:56:53 PM

I do appreciate this option but personally I still won't give them anything until they themselves accept Bitcoin. My opinion is that if they don't accept bitcoins they really don't need the money.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/29/wikipedia-accepts-enemies-of-the-internet-currencies/

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:15:45 PM

Fact 1: You claim to want to donate to wikipedia with BTC.
I claim to want wikipedia to accept my BTC. And once they do, I will most certainly donate generously.

I appreciate bitpay's initiative. But getting Wikipedia to publicly announce they accept Bitcoin themselves, THAT's what this is about.

+1

+1

Be sure to mention that more of us are ready to donate when they have their own bitcoin addy.
+1

I do appreciate this option but personally I still won't give them anything until they themselves accept Bitcoin. My opinion is that if they don't accept bitcoins they really don't need the money.
+1

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
World

Activity: 743

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:15:56 AM

Donated!
Large organizations need more time to understand what is BTC

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 01:59:52 PM

This morning we sent a direct deposit to Wikipedia for $790.36 which is all of the bitcoin donations received from noon yesterday until this morning.

Great job guys!

We will continue to do this every day.  I do have hope that eventually the donate button will be on Wikipedia's site, but for now having the button on our blog accomplishes the same thing. 

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:12:14 PM

Does Wikipedia publish the donations list so we can see our donations on their site and feel good about it? Cheesy

BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 02:18:18 PM

Does Wikipedia publish the donations list so we can see our donations on their site and feel good about it? Cheesy

BitPay has a list, but only if you entered an email address.  If you did not enter an email address on the form, the donation is anonymous.  Only the donor has a copy of the receipt.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:25:01 PM

Are you charging 0.99% fee?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print