Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:51:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ebay scam on selling used cards - the 0 feedback bidder trick  (Read 5975 times)
keystroke (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:04:45 PM

So 2 weeks ago I put 7 ATI cards up on ebay. 5 sold fine but 2 had highest bidders with 0 feedback. They never paid. I had to wait 4 days to file a dispute with ebay, and then 4 more days for the buyers not to reply, so ebay could refund my selling fees. Now the cards are relisted and selling again. I'm deleting any bids where the user has a 0 feedback score as this seems to be happening again! I've also blocked users with no paypal account from bidding (as much I hate to do that given the nature of paypal!) If someone doesn't pay this time I'll have to do a buy it now to guarantee payment - seems this is a common problem as the ebay forums mention it quite a bit. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up here though.

Has anyone else experienced such issues?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:06:58 PM

put your cards as buy it now. ebay has smaller fees for electronics if you post as buy it now. auction has a flat 9% fee. electronics however has a 7% fee for the first $50 and 5% fee for the remaining 50-1000 dollars, and an even small fee for any remaining amount after that. also if you require "immediate payment with buy it now", then 0 feedback users cant do this scam in the first place.

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:11:01 PM

put your cards as buy it now. ebay has smaller fees for electronics if you post as buy it now. auction has a flat 9% fee. electronics however has a 7% fee for the first $50 and 5% fee for the remaining 50-1000 dollars, and an even small fee for any remaining amount after that. also if you require "immediate payment with buy it now", then 0 feedback users cant do this scam in the first place.

+1

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:13:50 PM

awesome, useful tips. i'll take them into consideration the next time i sell some used toys Cheesy
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:20:21 PM

I dont sell much on ebay so maybe this is a dumb question, but how is this a scam? I also dont mean to sound like a dick here. I understand how this is annoying in the wasted time but as long as you wait on payment before shipping what does the buyer/scammer gain by doing this?

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
awatson824

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:46:22 PM

I dont sell much on ebay so maybe this is a dumb question, but how is this a scam? I also dont mean to sound like a dick here. I understand how this is annoying in the wasted time but as long as you wait on payment before shipping what does the buyer/scammer gain by doing this?
Pissing people off.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:51:14 PM

A free item if the seller is short-minded and sends the item before the cash is on his bank?

MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 12:38:52 AM

A free item if the seller is short-minded and sends the item before the cash is on his bank?

Or, the scammers favorite, the chargeback or paypal dispute

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
SaintDevil

Activity: 126

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 12:43:41 AM

There is an option you can select that will prevent buyers with 0 feedback from bidding on ur items.

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
Axios
Donator

Activity: 131

Axios Foundation

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 01:06:23 AM

I sold few like this.. My new way of selling old crap better than an auction.

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:32:10 AM

seller sends item first, scammer doesnt pay. doesnt always work though if the seller is smart and waits for payment first , which protects himself from falling hook line and sinker

keystroke (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 03:26:06 AM

seller sends item first, scammer doesnt pay. doesnt always work though if the seller is smart and waits for payment first , which protects himself from falling hook line and sinker

Another option is that the low feedback people are bidding things up higher than the actual price - they may be selling their own goods and thus discourage people from competing with them.
Or perhaps they have potential buyers that will buy for a higher price... if those deals fall through they don't pay.

Not saying that is what happened but they are possible scenarios, I think the first one is most likely though. I don't know why anyone would ship before payment these days. Now that I stopped 0 feedback users I am getting a few new accounts with only 3-4 feedbacks... suspicious but we'll see.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:47:56 PM

There is an option you can select that will prevent buyers with 0 feedback from bidding on ur items.

Nope. Not since they decided "fuck anyone that's selling things." Can only block -1 feedback buyers now (which can't actually happen anymore to pure buyers so it's completely pointless).

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
squeept

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:49:14 PM

seller sends item first, scammer doesnt pay. doesnt always work though if the seller is not completely retarded and waits for payment first , which protects himself from falling hook line and sinker

fixed.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
strider007

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:28:39 PM

No, there isn't.
strider007

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:35:49 PM

So 2 weeks ago I put 7 ATI cards up on ebay. 5 sold fine but 2 had highest bidders with 0 feedback. They never paid. I had to wait 4 days to file a dispute with ebay, and then 4 more days for the buyers not to reply, so ebay could refund my selling fees. Now the cards are relisted and selling again. I'm deleting any bids where the user has a 0 feedback score as this seems to be happening again! I've also blocked users with no paypal account from bidding (as much I hate to do that given the nature of paypal!) If someone doesn't pay this time I'll have to do a buy it now to guarantee payment - seems this is a common problem as the ebay forums mention it quite a bit. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up here though.

Has anyone else experienced such issues?

I experienced the same thing recently. My best guess is this is others trying to dump their cards as well before the big GPU dump begins. They can take your card off the market for 8 days by doing this. Fortunately, on one of them, the kid used an ebay name he uses many other places and found him on youtube, twitter and linkedin. Got him to admit he wouldn't pay and was able to relist immediately and when the 8 days ran out on the auction he burned, left his 0 fb account with a non-paying bidder hit.
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 10:56:14 PM

That's what I thought as well.

Edit: oh ok guess not.  Either way yeah always make sure to await for payment to clear before shipping Wink

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
panda1

Activity: 187

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 12:20:38 AM

On the listings that didn't pay, you can give the second highest bidder a second chance offer and see if they'll buy it. You don't need to pay an additional listing fee (last time I checked) and the price is usually only a few bucks lower than the winning bid.
squeept

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 12:34:39 AM

On the listings that didn't pay, you can give the second highest bidder a second chance offer and see if they'll buy it. You don't need to pay an additional listing fee (last time I checked) and the price is usually only a few bucks lower than the winning bid.

Long time eBay power seller here: do not use the second chance offer option.

It will turn in to an ordeal and just end up wasting as much or more time than re-listing. The person you offer the item to will even accuse you of trying to scam them somehow. Not worth the hassle. And you won't even get the satisfaction of hitting anyone else with an unpaid item after you're still sitting on your capital a week later.

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 12:35:30 AM

Not really scamming, but if you have 10 items for sale that are selling extremely well, and someone buys 8, and doesn't pay, you have to wait 10 days to relist them, because what if he pays after 9 days, and you already sold them? That's negative feedback.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: