Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:22:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ebay scam on selling used cards - the 0 feedback bidder trick  (Read 5975 times)
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:34:51 AM

On the listings that didn't pay, you can give the second highest bidder a second chance offer and see if they'll buy it. You don't need to pay an additional listing fee (last time I checked) and the price is usually only a few bucks lower than the winning bid.

Long time eBay power seller here: do not use the second chance offer option.

It will turn in to an ordeal and just end up wasting as much or more time than re-listing. The person you offer the item to will even accuse you of trying to scam them somehow. Not worth the hassle. And you won't even get the satisfaction of hitting anyone else with an unpaid item after you're still sitting on your capital a week later.

Also power seller here.  Depends on what/how you sell I guess.  Never had problems when I offered 2nd chance.  The 2nd chance offer format is buy it now, so if they buy they need to pay immediately.  I make the offer good for 1 day, relist if they don't respond.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squeept

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:48:45 AM

I haven't used it in a long time, I guess they might have actually made some positive changes for once.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
keystroke (OP)

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 04:49:51 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Managed to sell the last 2 cards to apparently reputable people. There was a guy I had to ban even though he was probably legit, just because his feedback score was a bit on the low side I didn't want to take the risk given there had been a 15 day delay already (8 days for ebay refund, 7 days to relist). Sucks for both sellers and buyers.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 09:05:48 AM

I experienced the same thing recently. My best guess is this is others trying to dump their cards as well before the big GPU dump begins. They can take your card off the market for 8 days by doing this.
It's not just GPUs this has been happening with - I saw a blog post from someone who had the same thing happen repeatedly when they tried to sell their iPhone on eBay. Apparently eBay is basically unusable to normal everyday sellers these days.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
bitcoindaddy

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:20:03 PM

I experienced the same thing recently. My best guess is this is others trying to dump their cards as well before the big GPU dump begins. They can take your card off the market for 8 days by doing this.
It's not just GPUs this has been happening with - I saw a blog post from someone who had the same thing happen repeatedly when they tried to sell their iPhone on eBay. Apparently eBay is basically unusable to normal everyday sellers these days.

It makes me ill every time I have to use ebay, either as a seller or a buyer. You never know what's going to happen and you can be sure ebay and/or Paypal will not stand behind you.
strider007

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 05:11:33 PM

It makes me ill every time I have to use ebay, either as a seller or a buyer. You never know what's going to happen and you can be sure ebay and/or Paypal will not stand behind you.

Not to mention that they now get about 13% of the total sale. 9-10% on the ebay auction and another 2-3% in paypal fees. They know they pretty much monopolize the online auction market and keep creeping up the final percentage cut and fees.
Mad7Scientist

Activity: 373
Merit: 262

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 11:52:34 PM

I just had a bidder with (1) bid on my LOT of TWO video cards. He hasn't payed yet. But I did get a second chance offer on the next lowest bidder for like $1 less. He accepted the next day.

Put in your listing that it must be payed for within 1 day or else it will be relisted and no longer available to them. If you don't have extra to sell you just have to wait 24 hours then send the second chance offer.
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 03:20:38 AM

I just had a bidder with (1) bid on my LOT of TWO video cards. He hasn't payed yet. But I did get a second chance offer on the next lowest bidder for like $1 less. He accepted the next day.

Put in your listing that it must be payed for within 1 day or else it will be relisted and no longer available to them. If you don't have extra to sell you just have to wait 24 hours then send the second chance offer.

Great idea! Unfortunately one of my XFX cards didn't work for someone who bought 2 other ATIs which work fine. So now I have to process the return.. sigh!

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 11:48:05 PM

Great idea! Unfortunately one of my XFX cards didn't work for someone who bought 2 other ATIs which work fine. So now I have to process the return.. sigh!

Hope you kept a note of the serial number of the item you sent out (or otherwise distinguishable). I've known of people that buy and item, claim it doesn't work, and send back their broken item (that they killed) and keep your working one. eBay is a hive of scammers it seems these days.

/jaded

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:41:58 AM

Simple way I do business on all eBay products I sell.

1 List items as you would normally do.

2 Make another listing for same product with buy now only.

3 Make a listing with no reserve on it and also a buy now option for more than you want for the card and maybe set a reserve on that to depends on how you want to sell.

List in the description that anyone with no feedback or no buys or is very new their bids will be removed unless they are prepaid to buy now get payment first from them or offer the buyer and contact the buyer and ask him for his highest offer if its a reasonable one work with him to make payment to an email address and once confirmed and close it. But this type of selling is not really allowed on ebay. So you could instead ask the person if interested in buying it and is prepared to buy now with his offer you set up the listing email that buyer with the link to buy now.

Myself I tend to just ignore all new feedback members or new people unless they are prepared to buy now some do and others do not bother to cos they where out to cause problems in the first place.

A person can make a claim and say it was not working. I would also provide on selling stuff that all is in perfect working order. If it was perfect working order when sent then you can tell the customer to make a claim to the DHL or parcel company you used to recover for damages caused to goods shipped. This is something that you pay for when sending items, however if buyer claims its broken when he has received and you are 100% sure working when sent then this would be done to the people you sent with and the buyer would have to contact their customer services to file a claim with for recovery or claim of damaged goods to the value of what it was sold for. The company should issue a check to them in the post for the amount the person paid for that item in full. You would also get details and contact off them too.

This is something that is not your fault and something you should not have to deal with.. The only part is for you to ask the customer to return the item and when received a refund will be given. And then you can contact the company who you sent through to file a claim of damaged goods.

Hope you kept a note of the serial number of the item you sent out (or otherwise distinguishable). I've known of people that buy and item, claim it doesn't work, and send back their broken item (that they killed) and keep your working one. eBay is a hive of scammers it seems these days.

Indeed make sure when you send all products keep the serials of them until the customer has confirmed working or not. Some will be very crafty and make a fake claim they get their money back keep the product ship it to where its made on RMA and get a new one shipped to them or a replacement or fix if it was fixed.

I know every trick people can pull on eBay and comes in very handy as I can get some really good deals on eBay if faulty or broken ill take the risk in it but first ask for serial numbers to be provided some don't ask questions others do because they know like me will do a RMA on them and get a brand spanking new one or upgrade just like I done on a few ATI 3850s paid maybe $20 to $30 for them stress tested them and seen they wasn't quite cutting it so sent RMA off manufacture confirmed they where defected 2 to 3 weeks later got replaced for a nice pair of 5870s and current going back on ebay in  a few weeks time as am on the market for new everything. Smiley

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:08:44 AM

/jaded

Yea I thought the same... the guy acted honest but you are right it is a potential avenue for fraud. He kept two though and has impeccable feedback but I would feel better if I had the serial, which I don't!

keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:12:27 AM

Simple way I do business on all eBay products I sell.

1 List items as you would normally do.

2 Make another listing for same product with buy now only.

3 Make a listing with no reserve on it and also a buy now option for more than you want for the card and maybe set a reserve on that to depends on how you want to sell.

List in the description that anyone with no feedback or no buys or is very new their bids will be removed unless they are prepaid to buy now get payment first from them or offer the buyer and contact the buyer and ask him for his highest offer if its a reasonable one work with him to make payment to an email address and once confirmed and close it. But this type of selling is not really allowed on ebay. So you could instead ask the person if interested in buying it and is prepared to buy now with his offer you set up the listing email that buyer with the link to buy now.

Myself I tend to just ignore all new feedback members or new people unless they are prepared to buy now some do and others do not bother to cos they where out to cause problems in the first place.

A person can make a claim and say it was not working. I would also provide on selling stuff that all is in perfect working order. If it was perfect working order when sent then you can tell the customer to make a claim to the DHL or parcel company you used to recover for damages caused to goods shipped. This is something that you pay for when sending items, however if buyer claims its broken when he has received and you are 100% sure working when sent then this would be done to the people you sent with and the buyer would have to contact their customer services to file a claim with for recovery or claim of damaged goods to the value of what it was sold for. The company should issue a check to them in the post for the amount the person paid for that item in full. You would also get details and contact off them too.

This is something that is not your fault and something you should not have to deal with.. The only part is for you to ask the customer to return the item and when received a refund will be given. And then you can contact the company who you sent through to file a claim of damaged goods.

Indeed make sure when you send all products keep the serials of them until the customer has confirmed working or not. Some will be very crafty and make a fake claim they get their money back keep the product ship it to where its made on RMA and get a new one shipped to them or a replacement or fix if it was fixed.

I know every trick people can pull on eBay and comes in very handy as I can get some really good deals on eBay if faulty or broken ill take the risk in it but first ask for serial numbers to be provided some don't ask questions others do because they know like me will do a RMA on them and get a brand spanking new one or upgrade just like I done on a few ATI 3850s paid maybe $20 to $30 for them stress tested them and seen they wasn't quite cutting it so sent RMA off manufacture confirmed they where defected 2 to 3 weeks later got replaced for a nice pair of 5870s and current going back on ebay in  a few weeks time as am on the market for new everything. Smiley

Real nice analysis! He is sending the card back and said he didn't think it was damaged in shipping. So we'll see.

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 05:40:51 AM

I always sell with the Buy-it-now price or BIN with best offer, immediate payment required. On offers, you can't have immediate payment required obviously, but you can look at teh feedback of people using best offer before you accept it.

The main theory of the reason for 0 feedback non paying buyers is they or their friend or their client is selling a similar item, get yours off the market for a few days will allow them to potentially get more than if they played by the rules. Pretty pathetic.

keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:36:25 AM

Well if he is sending it back and you can simply test it. Might be that his system does not like the card or its too fast or not enough power cables for it. I even know that I had to upgrade my psu to a 1200 due to not having enough juice for me system.

At least he is sending it back and can then test it when you get it back if it does not work then it would sound like 1 people who you sent through damaged it. or 2 hes over clocked it and fried it. 3 his system not comparable with the hardware but then again if others are same then might be the card who knows.

Good luck with it anyway hope it works when you get it back and then re sell on. What card is it by the way? Might be interested in it me self

Thanks! Yes I'll know in a few days. It is an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 (HD-587X-ZNDC). Might you want it? If so I can post the results of my test. I did notice in my item description (I was selling a few cards) that the heat sink had come off of the card's memory, but it was working fine. Just thought I'd mention that! It was one of my best cards because I had a huge fan strapped to it so it ran super cool at 400Mhash.

Phil21

Activity: 155

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 09:08:27 PM

Had the same thing happen to me selling one out of two 6990's.  One sold fine, the other sold to a zero feedback guy who then tried to put in an ebay complaint stating I never shipped the item.  Still had to jump through hoops, but at least eBay got the resolution right...

-Phil
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 12:28:05 AM

Well if he is sending it back and you can simply test it. Might be that his system does not like the card or its too fast or not enough power cables for it. I even know that I had to upgrade my psu to a 1200 due to not having enough juice for me system.

At least he is sending it back and can then test it when you get it back if it does not work then it would sound like 1 people who you sent through damaged it. or 2 hes over clocked it and fried it. 3 his system not comparable with the hardware but then again if others are same then might be the card who knows.

Good luck with it anyway hope it works when you get it back and then re sell on. What card is it by the way? Might be interested in it me self

Well, got the card back and sure enough it didn't work! But... there was a heat sink tied to the part just about the card's memory. It was not flat against the memory so the heat sink was touching part of the card... I removed the CONDUCTIVE head sink and sure enough the card started up! Something had been shorting out due to the buyer trying to tie the heat sink to the board! So I have the card back up on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150961817903

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2012, 01:03:12 AM

Well, got the card back and sure enough it didn't work! But... there was a heat sink tied to the part just about the card's memory. It was not flat against the memory so the heat sink was touching part of the card... I removed the CONDUCTIVE head sink and sure enough the card started up! Something had been shorting out due to the buyer trying to tie the heat sink to the board! So I have the card back up on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150961817903
hah,  like 4 or 5 of my cards look like that, with the 120mm fan (in my case i ziptied em on, looks the same here)

was curious if those would be a big hit or not, guess i'll see..  (not sure if i should pay $10 for a true replacement fan and spend the time putting everything back together etc)

Gatorhex

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 03:52:37 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 08:14:51 PM by Gatorhex

The fan is the wrong way around, it shold be blowing down into the components.

I have experence with putting fans on cards, I just wire them into the old fan wires so you get variable fan speed control too.

If you add an LED fan it adds some awsomness factor which helps you sell it. (make a video of it running)

I've just been banned by ebay for 14 days for leaving honest feed back (they claim I'm leaving too much bad feedback and trying to ruin my competitors). It's rare I leave a negative feed back ususal I dispute a discount for the cost of fixing the item. I did that about 6 times in a year maybe so it's a crazy ban reason. One of the feedbacks was for a card I was sent with a bad fan. I have video evidence of all my disputes, to prove they are geniune, but they don't care. Ebay is a just bad joke now!
keystroke (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

The fan is the wrong way around, it shold be blowing down into the components.

I have experence with putting fans on cards, I just wire them into the old fan wires so you get variable fan speed control too.

If you add an LED fan it adds some awsomness factor which helps you sell it. (make a video of it running)

I've just been banned by ebay for 14 days for leaving honest feed back (they claim I'm leaving too much bad feedback and trying to ruin my competitors). It rare I leave a negative feed back ususal I dispute a discount for the cost of fixing the item.I did that about 6 times in a year maybe. One of the feedbacks was for a card I was sent with a bad fan. I have video evidence of all my disputes, to prove they are geniune, but they don't care. Ebay is a just bad joke now!

Sorry to hear about the ban! What % less temp do you get when the fan is facing towards the cards? Good idea with the vids, I had considered that as well, but yea ebay is a bad joke Sad I remember how the page looked back in 96 or something, my how the net has changed.

Gatorhex

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 08:20:33 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 09:02:28 PM by Gatorhex

What % less temp do you get when the fan is facing towards the cards?

I was using a benchmark to stress the card, and watching the temp, fanspeed graphs with Afterburner.

With the fan blowing out it rose past 85c, and didn't look like it was stopping, so I stopped the benchmark.

After turning it the other way, so it was blowing in, it was 75c stable, which was in the same temp range as the normal fan.

Also use a fan the similar diameter as the original, I find 80mm 2500rpm is often the best for most situations, and wire it up to the old fan wires to get the variable speeds.

You can also cut away part of the two sides of the fan to get more air flowing sideways and less straigh ahead, which also improves things, if you've removed the plastic cover like on the one shown.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: