Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:48:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing the MPEx Rota  (Read 5085 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 05:18:19 PM

It's meant to be a better means of resolving disputes. You can read the charter here, and apply to be a Judge if you qualify (also there).

Enough applications have already been filed for the Rota to start hearing cases on December the 15th, so if you have a dispute and can fit it under the causes of action enumerated you can probably sue, then.

Comments probably best directed there, as you have the best chance of a competent answer.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:23:46 PM

Judges? We don't need no stinking judges.

In seriousness, this is a great way to get a list of people who should be first up against the wall when the Libertopian Revolution happens.  Wink
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:31:23 PM

Judges? We don't need no stinking judges.

In seriousness, this is a great way to get a list of people who should be first up against the wall when the Libertopian Revolution happens.  Wink

Well fine, but how do you propose to resolve disputes? Wager of combat to be supplanted in ~ five centuries by assize of novel disseisin?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
greyhawk

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 06:34:40 PM

]

Well fine, but how do you propose to resolve disputes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmRAiUPdRjk  Grin
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:08:22 PM

So now that there are 4 applications already this is definitely a go starting Dec 15th.

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 05:08:57 PM

Interesting concept.

This part makes me wonder:
II.2. The Rota supersedes the jurisdiction of any other court, institution, group, organisation, corporation, reigning monarch, city fool etc.

So you are saying that you are above everybody else, a sort of world supreme court? If this works out well, will you try to get the UN to implement a similar system?

I get the idea that this system only works for people who are already in the web-of-trust?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 06:47:16 PM

I'm a big fan of any type of alternative dispute resolution services.  Glad to see you trying this out. 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 08:59:33 PM

Good luck but without men with guns backing up the court its pretty much pointless.

greyhawk

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:04:28 PM

Good luck but without men with guns backing up the court its pretty much pointless.

Who says Mr. Popescu doesn't have men with guns backing him up?
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:12:27 AM

So you are saying that you are above everybody else, a sort of world supreme court? If this works out well, will you try to get the UN to implement a similar system?

Well, philosophically this builds on ideas MP was fleshing out in that article about gpg contracts. Basically, that a world based on people's word and willing enforcement is better than the currently implemented alternative. In a larger sense, failing to live up to this (and implicitly recognize the superiority of BTC-courts) is the scammy thing to do. It specifically aims to make simple scamming as in 419 stuff and "talking to a lawyer" scamming notionally equivalent.

A very important point is that "you". This isn't about trying or even wanting to institute some sort of MPEx/MP monopoly on the resolution of BTC disputes. This is about sinking some available money and intellectual resources into trying to make a working prototype of a BTC court. Once shown to be working hopefully others will follow, some venues will be ridiculous/fake/scams in themselves, some others will be the BTC-justice equivalent of the Las Vegas marriage chapel, some will be quite respectable and eventually overtake and supersede MPEx's Rota much like the current day courts have overtaken and superseded the Apostolic Tribunal. So, in short, this is a natural and necessary outgrowth of Bitcoin: decentralized Bitcoin courts.

I get the idea that this system only works for people who are already in the web-of-trust?

The way it works is that you need a signature to sue, but you can register in the WOT five minutes before you sue, no big deal. You also may only sue people who have a registered signature (in fact you're not even suing people/corporations, you're suing signatures), but this isn't arbitrary: anything else would be meaningless.

I'm a big fan of any type of alternative dispute resolution services.  Glad to see you trying this out. 

Thanks. We're kind of curious how it works out.

At least in theory the "backed by guns" method has failed. Even in practice it's not anything anyone really wants.

Who says Mr. Popescu doesn't have men with guns backing him up?

Even if he did, the entire point of this is voluntary contracts, voluntary enforcement and voluntarism in general.

Thanks everyone for the interest, and please consider registering if you haven't done so already. The first rolls of Judges will be announced December 15th, so in about one week. If you miss that cut-off there's going to be further rolls every three months.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 10:19:10 AM

Nice!

Will probably be better than stare contests and rock-paper-scissors to solve disputes.

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:50:10 AM

Nice!

Will probably be better than stare contests and rock-paper-scissors to solve disputes.

Especially seeing how complex some arguments in commercial disputes have become, I think this is both a necessary and unavoidable development. Might even offer a workable solution to the scammer tag problem (as mods have already stated multiple places that they're neither really prepared nor really have the time to hear the various cases).

MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 08:26:21 AM

The first Roll of Judges (5 people).

Interested parties may sue at their leisure.

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 22, 2012, 07:41:25 PM

This is actually really cool
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 11:40:26 AM

And there's a first case before the Rota.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:35:30 AM

We seriously need to standardize an armor format for bitcoin signed messages.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 08:24:59 AM

It would be as easy as adding an -a to the command line but the problem with ascii armored messages is that they're not readily readable to the naked eye. Does c/p-ing into gpg fail for you on the snippets in that article? Or is it just the gray cruft that bothers?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:12:49 PM

It would be as easy as adding an -a to the command line but the problem with ascii armored messages is that they're not readily readable to the naked eye. Does c/p-ing into gpg fail for you on the snippets in that article? Or is it just the gray cruft that bothers?

The GPG messages, I don't usually bother validating.  I've done enough of those that I know that I can, given a little fiddling around.  Unless it is a dramatic revelation, or important to me personally (like my mpex STATs), I just assume that someone will point out if it doesn't work.

That bitcoin signed message from Wences, on the other hand, I got nothing.  I don't know where it starts, I don't know where it stops, I don't know if the linebreaks are real or not, nor what character they are.  If anyone managed to validate that signature, my hat is off to them.  I gave up after trying about a dozen combinations.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:43:13 PM

++ 2

BTC\LTC need some form of very light oversight

I think a more community based process instead of appointed judges would be better

Everybody couldbe a judge and also people would upvote others weight in the voting process based upon previous & percieved "Judgyness"

i.E similar to the OTC trust factor... so some peoples vote would be weighted greater than others etc

OBJECT NOT FOUND
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:27:40 AM

That bitcoin signed message from Wences, on the other hand, I got nothing.  I don't know where it starts, I don't know where it stops, I don't know if the linebreaks are real or not, nor what character they are.  If anyone managed to validate that signature, my hat is off to them.  I gave up after trying about a dozen combinations.

Oh, that. Yes, bitcoin signed stuff is a mess atm. Needs standardization first and foremost (hey, Bitcoin Foundation, how hard would a -----BEGIN BITCOINd SIGNED MESSAGE----- header have been? But from the get go, cause we're not the sort of idiots who release unencrypted wallets, at least not anymore, yes?) and armoring too.

In any case, pigeons was saying it checks out for him.

++ 2

BTC\LTC need some form of very light oversight

I think a more community based process instead of appointed judges would be better

Everybody couldbe a judge and also people would upvote others weight in the voting process based upon previous & percieved "Judgyness"

i.E similar to the OTC trust factor... so some peoples vote would be weighted greater than others etc

You know, anyone could be a judge as it is, the original article linked in the original post reads

I.1. Any person with reputation in good standing, an OTC-WOT rating older than six months, with ratings above 3 from respected community members and who was never excluded from the College may apply to be added to the MPEx Rota College of Judges.

What's better, it's a paid job.

III.16. Upon entering judgement each Judge shall receive the case pay of 3 BTC.

III.17. At the regular end of a Judge's term he shall receive the sum of 30 BTC for his services. Excluded Judges receive nothing.

You really should read the whole article, I think.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: