Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:59:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thug Insurance....  (Read 3704 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 12:12:47 PM

Why is this hard to understand? 

It seem that our culture evolved to associate the positive notion of property right with evil copying monopolies.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 12:47:16 PM

It seem that our culture evolved to associate the positive notion of property right with evil copying monopolies.

Yep, my views are based on that very notion. I, as an artist, don't work with Free Trade because I've been instilled the notion that it takes an industry to make a living. I never meant to say "I'll steal your music, the one you are selling on the store, and believe I've done good". That's not it at all!

What I mean is that I sell music, someone buys my music and lets you take a listen. You like it and make a copy. Do you have to pay for that copy? Better yet, should we put an effort in pursuing and convicting those that make a copy? Is there really a damage done by that copy?

Even if we take the step up and, this really depends on the industry but for music, I buy the cd and make copies which I sell for 5BTC a piece. Am I taking food out of the artist's table? Is there really damage done? Morally? sure, I'm making money out of your work, which is pretty much what the music industry as a whole do to the working party, i.e. the actual artists, but they do it legally and with much higher profit margins. On the other side of the table is the number of people the artist's music is not reaching, and you can't sell copies of the emotions of a live concert, so maybe, just maybe these bootleg buying criminals end up actually as a profit for artist?

All in all, there are always 6 billion (and counting) views of the same problem, so some form of arbitrage needs to be agreed and clearly disclosed up front. Just the simple fact that I read on the fora so many sentences of the type "But I've already explained" or "you simply don't get it" or even, closer to all of us "Why is this hard to understand?" makes me wonder just that... why is it so hard to understand opinions are just that, and even hard facts, those that you can't possibly disagree with because they are proven being any doubt, reasonable or not, may still be subject to someone else's bias towards not thinking that to be so.

What we need is an agreement... and the right to disagree. But I digress so fast it makes me dizzy Smiley I am in to the thug insurance brotherhood regardless of what gets agreed to be "correct" or "legal". These are muddy grounds we are stepping on and one may always need a helping hand sometime. I'll also do my best to lend the helping hand to others involved in the BTC businesses, whenever needed!
Anonymous

September 27, 2010, 01:16:34 PM

Yep, my views are based on that very notion. I, as an artist, don't work with Free Trade because I've been instilled the notion that it takes an industry to make a living. I never meant to say "I'll steal your music, the one you are selling on the store, and believe I've done good". That's not it at all!

What I mean is that I sell music, someone buys my music and lets you take a listen. You like it and make a copy. Do you have to pay for that copy? Better yet, should we put an effort in pursuing and convicting those that make a copy? Is there really a damage done by that copy?

Even if we take the step up and, this really depends on the industry but for music, I buy the cd and make copies which I sell for 5BTC a piece. Am I taking food out of the artist's table? Is there really damage done? Morally? sure, I'm making money out of your work, which is pretty much what the music industry as a whole do to the working party, i.e. the actual artists, but they do it legally and with much higher profit margins. On the other side of the table is the number of people the artist's music is not reaching, and you can't sell copies of the emotions of a live concert, so maybe, just maybe these bootleg buying criminals end up actually as a profit for artist?

All in all, there are always 6 billion (and counting) views of the same problem, so some form of arbitrage needs to be agreed and clearly disclosed up front. Just the simple fact that I read on the fora so many sentences of the type "But I've already explained" or "you simply don't get it" or even, closer to all of us "Why is this hard to understand?" makes me wonder just that... why is it so hard to understand opinions are just that, and even hard facts, those that you can't possibly disagree with because they are proven being any doubt, reasonable or not, may still be subject to someone else's bias towards not thinking that to be so.

What we need is an agreement... and the right to disagree. But I digress so fast it makes me dizzy Smiley I am in to the thug insurance brotherhood regardless of what gets agreed to be "correct" or "legal". These are muddy grounds we are stepping on and one may always need a helping hand sometime. I'll also do my best to lend the helping hand to others involved in the BTC businesses, whenever needed!

The point of an insurance company is that your premium would reflect the risk. As to what would be insured I guess as long as it is bitcoin related and non violent it would be covered. imho a copy doesnt do anything to the original work only breaking into someones property and doing damage to it would qualify as violence.
 Smiley
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 06:07:58 PM

As chaord says arbitration is vital in this situation.

J. Neil Schulman said it first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alongside_Night

I've been starting to wonder if he was some kind of prophet, considering this book was written in the 1970's and seems to be coming to pass.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 06:09:00 PM

Its twisted logic to claim otherwise,because free trade requires both parties come away from a trade satisfied.

Buying a car must not be free trade then. Unless you like the take it in the @$$ feeling.

That is you subconcious warning you that you can't afford a car.  If you have ever paid cash for a car, even a heavily used one, it's a very different feeling.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Anonymous

September 28, 2010, 04:32:12 AM

Its twisted logic to claim otherwise,because free trade requires both parties come away from a trade satisfied.

Buying a car must not be free trade then. Unless you like the take it in the @$$ feeling.

lol...It might be different if you are buying a ferrari. Grin

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
October 01, 2010, 09:56:39 AM

lol...It might be different if you are buying a ferrari. Grin

There are two happy days in the life of a red elephant owner.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Anonymous

October 03, 2010, 05:38:26 AM

A couple of ideas to get started....

A call in number for emergency response by the thug insurance brotherhood (thanks for that term lol). This would be blasted out across the network when a call was received.Being decentralised it would be hard to stop.

Something that doesnt yet exist - a spy camera recorder  that you press a button on and it records the scene. The footage would be encrypted on the fly in case you are not close to an internet connection. This might be a good thing on a watch as it is less likely to be taken ie a mobile device.

....ideas to ponder  Cheesy
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: