Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:57:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion: Full Page Advert in The Economist and Wall Street Journal  (Read 1268 times)
Timo Y (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:30:02 AM
Last edit: June 07, 2011, 07:38:47 AM by forever-d

If a few early adopters chip in, we should be able to afford this, now that BTC has almost hit 20 USD!

The advert will be aimed at decision makers who are not familiar with Bitcoin yet.

The point of the advert is to pre-emptively debunk gross misconceptions about Bitcoin.

If the first thing they hear about Bitcoin is that it's "an online form of money laundering", then this misconception will stick. And it will be perpetuated by mainstream media.

If the first thing they hear about Bitcoin is that it's "an open, decentralised accounting system where all transactions are public" they are going to have a hard time imagining it is "a form of money laundering"

But we need to be fast!

I reckon it's 2-4 weeks max now, before the tabloids are all over Bitcoin. We are at a pivotal point now. Let's do everything in our power to make Bitcoin successful.

wanted to bounce this idea off the community first before posting a bounty...

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enki

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:00:42 AM

~8500 well spent coins for the WSJ

http://www.gaebler.com/Newspaper-Advertising-Costs.htm
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:05:29 AM

If a few early adopters chip in, we should be able to afford this, now that BTC has almost hit 20 USD!

i can think of a dozen better initiatives

for instance, falkvinge is pointing out some: http://falkvinge.net/2011/06/04/bitcoins-four-hurdles-part-one-usability/

another is to do more translations of the bitcoin.org software
and there are still many languages without a bitcoin wiki or one that would benefit from an increase in the quantity and quality of content.

shoot for the day where no government is going to want to cut themselves out and not participate.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:41:52 AM

I think we should hold off on the advertising its a great idea ive been thinking about using my google adwords, yahoo and facebook codes to start campains like this but the client for bitcoin is confusing to n00bs and people over the age of 40. Their is much confusion on what the difference is on address and wallets, etc, etc. Although we should start saving up now tho for such a campain we should hold off the launch until we have a better interface thats noob friendly.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 02:57:59 AM

The advertising is a great idea, but Bitcoin itself needs to make some progress first, such as a better client UI, availability of mobile wallets, and possibly a start at retail point of sale integration hardware and services.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Gabriel Beal

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 12:34:05 PM

The advertising is a great idea, but Bitcoin itself needs to make some progress first, such as a better client UI, availability of mobile wallets, and possibly a start at retail point of sale integration hardware and services.

I agree with this.  Until our mom's can use it, there's less of a point in spending money on advertising.  Plus, it will give me some more time for the interminably long bank account -> Dwolla -> mtgox trip, so I can get more of my money in bitcoin before it goes up any more.

Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:23:37 PM

It seems like you guys tl;dr'ed this one a bit.  Here's the relevant part:

The point of the advert is to pre-emptively debunk gross misconceptions about Bitcoin.

The point isn't to get more users or inflate the price of BTC or what have you.  The point is to counter the coming tide of "bitcoin is for criminals" propaganda.

Whether this idea will be effective in terms of bang per buck (or rather, per BTC), I'm not sure, but the current user-friendliness of the client and other bitcoin-related tools is irrelevant here.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:50:20 AM

It seems like you guys tl;dr'ed this one a bit.  Here's the relevant part:

The point isn't to get more users or inflate the price of BTC or what have you.  The point is to counter the coming tide of "bitcoin is for criminals" propaganda.

Whether this idea will be effective in terms of bang per buck (or rather, per BTC), I'm not sure, but the current user-friendliness of the client and other bitcoin-related tools is irrelevant here.

I didn't miss this at all, and I stand by my statement.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
imanikin

Activity: 702
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:06:10 AM

I think it's best to let Bitcoin speak for itself from now on...  Cool

alkor

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:17:21 AM

I think it's best to let Bitcoin speak for itself from now on...  Cool

I agree. Plus, advertising it will make it look like a Ponzi scheme - as if early adopters are trying to sell their bitcoins to late adopters and profit.

I think leaving Bitcoin speak for itself, and let people do all the work discovering about it will make bitcoins more desirable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: