Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:25:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin halving: how will it impact the bitcoin ecosystem?  (Read 891 times)
gatecoin (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

Gatecoin.com - Trade BTC/ETH/REP/DGD/1ST/SNGLS

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 10:14:40 AM

Theoretically, next year's bitcoin halving means miners will earn 50% less, unless the price of bitcoin doubles or the cost of mining becomes 50% cheaper than what it is today (assuming everything else remains at status quo).
How do you think the halving will trigger a chain of events? If you are a speculator, how will you place your bet?

Check out our exchange: https://gatecoin.com

Talk with us on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gatecoinexchange/

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gatecoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 10:17:50 AM

IF i was a speculator, i would buy as much bitcoins as i could right now, keep them untill after the halving and sell them when the price has risen...

I'm pretty sure prices will rise dramatically, since the supply will be smaller while the demand will (hopefully) rise... Pushing the price upwards.
The main question is: will the price be high enough for mining farms to still be profitable. This is a question that is much harder to answer.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:29:25 AM

IF i was a speculator, i would buy as much bitcoins as i could right now, keep them untill after the halving and sell them when the price has risen...

I'm pretty sure prices will rise dramatically, since the supply will be smaller while the demand will (hopefully) rise... Pushing the price upwards.
The main question is: will the price be high enough for mining farms to still be profitable. This is a question that is much harder to answer.

This prediction is very wrong, because you're assuming the main volume of the market is made by only the mining operation, what isn't true.
The truth is that the price, if it will ever rise, it'll be in a small amount.

The last halving it needed a few months before the price ever changed, and it's not necessarily by the halving's fault.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:32:39 AM

Theoretically, next year's bitcoin halving means miners will earn 50% less, unless the price of bitcoin doubles or the cost of mining becomes 50% cheaper than what it is today (assuming everything else remains at status quo).
How do you think the halving will trigger a chain of events? If you are a speculator, how will you place your bet?

Since the halvening is a predictable event it is already collectively priced into bitcoins daily valuation. It's not like people will wake up suddenly and realize it has happened and start valuing bitcoin differently. That said, the reduction in supply of new coins could have a modest effect creating upwards pressure compared to today. But for perspective, the number of bitcoins traded daily is far larger than the supply of new bitcoins (daily volume on Coinbase exchange alone is 2-3X the 3600 coins produced daily, for example), so I suspect the effect of the halvening will be subtle.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

I think that the price of Bitcoin will rise when the halving happens. This is because the Bitcoins would be mined slower so there would be less on the market. Also, the demand of Bitcoin is on the rise already so this will help with the price rise factor.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:46:21 AM

This prediction is very wrong, because you're assuming the main volume of the market is made by only the mining operation, what isn't true.
The truth is that the price, if it will ever rise, it'll be in a small amount.

The last halving it needed a few months before the price ever changed, and it's not necessarily by the halving's fault.

To even get Bitcoin, you need to mine it right?( I mean before you buy it) So I don't really understand what you are trying to say. The main volume of Bitcoin is mad by the mining operation.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:47:51 AM

repeating this again, i would place my bet on winter-spring for the big increase prior the halving

but it's safely to assume that right now it's a very good time to buy, because 500 will leave the station soon, and not only because of the halving, but because of the bull market and the sentiment in general

the up-trend is already initiated, and it look stronger than the last one with the 1200 ath, there is more of a steady increase this time
BruceLee007

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:26:29 AM

Well, bitcoins price should rise now, if it's 400$ then it should go to 600$/800$ or even more
vendetahome

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 07:35:38 PM

Yes, price will grow, if not becouse of halving itself, but becouse peopels panic, they will sell/buy them and high/low prices and it will change total btc price
CryingMidget

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:36:48 PM

Yes, price will grow, if not becouse of halving itself, but becouse peopels panic, they will sell/buy them and high/low prices and it will change total btc price

Well said, Price will rise double the rate, mining will reduce to half from how much they are mining. No lose for any bitcoin users even miners also will get a extra value for their mining due to reduction of mining in halving.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:40:23 PM

Well said, Price will rise double the rate, mining will reduce to half from how much they are mining. No lose for any bitcoin users even miners also will get a extra value for their mining due to reduction of mining in halving.
Price won't double due to the halving. Unless we go to $300 first, then yes. Otherwise, there will be a lot of talking and quite more of disappointment. In order to get a solid rise there is a need to attract new people (new money) and for that we need to increase the adoption potential. Talking about halving won't do the trick.

this space is intentionally left blank
Dell.India

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:48:38 PM

Even I agree with you pal. People will get high price for bitcoin after halving.
CryingMidget

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 08:51:22 PM

Price won't double due to the halving. Unless we go to $300 first, then yes. Otherwise, there will be a lot of talking and quite more of disappointment. In order to get a solid rise there is a need to attract new people (new money) and for that we need to increase the adoption potential. Talking about halving won't do the trick.

Fine dude. Just wait and watch after in the month of September, It gonna make big change in price chart. That you reply in the same thread I will wait for sure. Thanks bro.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:35:09 PM

You are forgetting that the mining farms are not "just breaking even" at the moment. They still have huge profit margins.. They were able to turn a profit when bitcoin was 200 usd so even after the halving with a price of 500 usd they should be able to make a profit.

Also, this game is not only to reward the miners.. They have been reaping profits for years now and can and will take a short term loss if they start to lose out a bit in the first months after halving. No risk, no gains.
coldbound

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2016, 09:41:14 PM

I think halving and fork overlapping made things impossible to foresee.
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2016, 09:43:48 PM

It will be a little hard for the miners because their earning will be cut off about 50% even though maybe the difficulty will be reduced a bit.

busybee7

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 06:10:41 AM

it should rise price, but by 100$ not more, i mean not halving itself, but because panic he will create
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
February 19, 2016, 06:26:36 AM

if the bitcoin price continues going up as it is doing right now, there is not going to be much problem for bitcoin ecosystem but if the price stays the same level for a long time or even goes down then the miners would have to either stop mining or increase the fees for each transaction.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: