Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 08:57:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why and how to use VPN with bitcoins?  (Read 928 times)
marnie (OP)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 08:51:48 PM

Why do people use VPN with bitcoins?
And in what scenarios? I searched but nothing came up, rather than how to buy VPN with bitcoin.
I haven't used bitcoin yet, but plan to soon, so I'm not 100% certain how it works. But do I use
VPN to log into my account? Use VPN when I plan to send or receive money? etc.
Roxyoursox

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:04:02 PM

I am new to bitcoin but I am familiar with VPNs and wanted to ask specifically what your concerns are? While logging into which accounts? In combination with a firewall and a proxy a vpn system can totally anonymize your connection however I believe that your .dat file atleast to my knowledge is stored on your local machine so losing it would more so be a danger from things like key loggers or trojans. Anonymous browsing would not prevent such a thing from occuring if your downloading risky files or visiting dangerous sites. Correct me if I am wrong though please because I am sure there are people on here much smarter than I. I would use a anonymous system for things such as logging into anything that utilizes your credentials that could be possibally manipulated for gain like btcjam or paypal but as I said I really do not know for certain.
marnie (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:08:16 PM

Welll that's what I'm asking I mean. Why should I be using one, and in what cases, like all the time, etc.
If I don't use one, how exactly is it dangerous, how can someone get my IP, etc.
Roxyoursox

Activity: 20

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Well lots of sites log your IP and your IP can also be sniffed off your WAN from people in your general vincinity or even through emails you have sent. If you want to protect your identity I would use a system like I mentioned before hand at all times your connected to the internet however just having your IP address isnt a massive deal security wise its only a concern if you do not wish to be known, but I would make certain your router is secured very well. Most sites that are reputable use https connections which make them a lot safer I would advise looking for the lock icon and https:// in the begining of urls your using sensitive information on. Also your email address can be a big gateway into every thing else if you use the same one to log into all your accounts I would highly advise using different passwords for every thing and if your really super concerned using a different email address for solely for things like paypal or any form of online wallet say a btcjam like site I know a lot of btc gambling sites store coins for you on site. I think that those accounts would be the ones that would be targeted. Hopefully someone else can step in here and give you a more definitive answer thats all I know. GL
slardar

Activity: 37

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 09:58:14 PM

Most sites that are reputable use https connections which make them a lot safer I would advise looking for the lock icon and https:// in the begining of urls your using sensitive information on.
Make absolutely sure the certificate fingerprint matches -- use something like convergence and ssl observatory. There are some malicious people Smiley
marnie (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:23:17 PM

But I'm saying I don't want to use VPN 24/7.
Is there a specific time I should be using it with bitcoins that are very important?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:32:53 PM

Welll that's what I'm asking I mean. Why should I be using one, and in what cases, like all the time, etc.
If I don't use one, how exactly is it dangerous, how can someone get my IP, etc.

One reason is to defend yourself against a 'honeypot' website, offering services in bitcoins in order to capture your IP data for some future government crackdown on users.  My main client runs completely over TOR, to the same end, and doesn't respond to connection requests from unknown clients.  It's competely "quiet", and wouldn't even be counted in those network connection maps.  This is a bit paranoid, I admit, particularly since I can be identified by this very website forum's logs; but it's astronomically unlikely that anyone is going to be able to use any kind of network analysis techniques to figure out my IP or bitcoin addresses, no matter how many compromised nodes that they are willing to pay for.

Another would be to insulate your client's machine from a direct attack, in the event that some future hacker figures out an automated or simple way to identify bitcoin nodes by IP, and then attempt to crack in and straight up steal your wallet.dat file and/or install a keylogger to figure out your wallet's passkey.  Security through obscurity is untrustworthy, but it can still be very effective in practice.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 11:39:05 PM

But I'm saying I don't want to use VPN 24/7.
Is there a specific time I should be using it with bitcoins that are very important?

No, probably not.  At least not unless you have some other reason to be paranoid.  Tor is free, though.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 12:43:33 AM

A VPN will not protect you if you come across a site that loads a malicious software with a reverse shell or other Trojan on your computer.  That's really the end game for a cracker. 

The VPN services provide a way around filters.  Some countries do not allow their people the same freedoms that most of us have.  The VPN's will allow them to bypass these filters. 

People also use the VPN's to try to hide their tracs when they are doing something maybe they think they should not be doing.  Read about the cracker that hacked Sony, he was using Hide My Ass, a VPN service.  It was what gave him away.

www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/hidemyass_lulzsec_controversy/

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
marnie (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:09:58 AM

Thanks guys. More clear now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: