Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 07:59:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't restore electrum wallet from seed or private key  (Read 5391 times)
dz93 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:03:55 PM

A few months back I had to restore my wallet because I lost my 2FA key. When I restored it, I was able to set up a new 2FA. I've had to reset my phone and lost the 2FA again. I tried to restore via seed but was unable to click the next button. My seed is a 25 word seed and I made sure to restore the same wallet type (2FA wallet) and the seed was typed correctly. I then exported my private key to a file and tried to restore via the private key with no luck.

I'm sure my issue is something stupid so go easy on me. Thanks for any help!
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 6179

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:16:07 AM

It's a little bit confusing , but if I got you right you aren't able to restore your wallet using the seed but how you got the private keys on the first place if you wasn't able to restore using the seed ?
If you actually have the private keys then you own your BTC and there is nothing to worry about . You can try to import the private keys to Blockchain.info (not recommended to keep your coins for long time there since it's an online wallet) or you can try Bitcoin Core but you will need to download the full Blockchain as you might already know .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 09:19:06 AM

A few months back I had to restore my wallet because I lost my 2FA key. When I restored it, I was able to set up a new 2FA. I've had to reset my phone and lost the 2FA again. I tried to restore via seed but was unable to click the next button. My seed is a 25 word seed and I made sure to restore the same wallet type (2FA wallet) and the seed was typed correctly. I then exported my private key to a file and tried to restore via the private key with no luck.

I'm sure my issue is something stupid so go easy on me. Thanks for any help!

Are you using a newer version of electrum by chance? I know that some versions of electrum are not compatible with others brain wallets or restore functionality. I ran into this issue going from electrum 2.0 to electrum 2.5.4 - It wouldn't allow me to use the old pneumonic seed for some reason.

Did you also have private keys imported into the wallet? You will need to re-import any other private keys you had manually imported as your wallet seed will not have included those. Always make sure to back up wallet private keys somewhere.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
honeysyd

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:55:32 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2015, 09:21:23 AM by honeysyd

I have a similar problem. I cannot recover wallet in Electrum, using 24 seeds from Trezor.

I followed the procedure as described in the below link, which says it helps recover wallet only with seeds. 

https://www.buybitcoinworldwide.com/kb/restore-trezor-seed-electrum/

However, the following error arose when open the recovered wallet in Electrum.

"The file '/Users/david/.electrum/wallets/test1' contains an incompletely created wallet.
Do you want to complete its creation now?"

When click 'Yes', then another error arose as below.

Trezor device not detected.
Continuing in watching-only mode.

Reason:
Could not connect to your Trezor. Please verify the cable is connected and that no other app is using it.

So, it seems to need the Trezor hardware to recover a Trezor wallet.
torusJKL

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:54:08 AM

You need a BIP39 compatible client to restore a trezor wallet with the 24 word seed.
Electrum is not BIP39 compatible thus it needs the trezor hardware.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
Bitrated || bitcoin-otc || Moon Bitcoin Faucet
honeysyd

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 11:24:00 AM

You need a BIP39 compatible client to restore a trezor wallet with the 24 word seed.
Electrum is not BIP39 compatible thus it needs the trezor hardware.

Would you please recommend a wallet compatible with BIP39?

So far, I found that someone made a code (which is not a wallet) that recovers a public address and private key from Trezor seed. Check the below link.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=833203.0
torusJKL

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 02:53:48 AM

I don't really know other clients that well.
I would recommend that you check MultiBit and MyCelium if they support what you need.

If you find my post useful send some Bitcoin: 167XM1Za8aG9CdbYuHFMpL2kvPsw6uC8da
torusJKL

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 06:19:45 AM

Yes. It is one of their security feature (https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/recovery.html).  The Trezor screens tells you which word to enter in a random sequence (ie: word #4, word #17, word #2, etc).  This way, if you steal the seed words from your best friend... you also have to invest in buying a new Trezor!
No this is not true.
If that would be true than every Trezor would need to shuffle the words the same way and that would be a lame security feature.

It looks to me that the seed words are shuffled for cases where your computer is compromised.
This way a hacker might gain access to the 24 words but not to the correct order of them so he will still have to brute force it which will take him time.

tl;dr
If you have the seed you don't need to buy a Trezor.
Recovering Funds without TREZOR Device

torusJKL

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:38:24 PM

You obviously don't own a Trezor. 
True.

I would like to understand this.
Are the 24 words that you wrote down when you created the Trezor wallet in the correct order or shuffled?

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 02:49:57 PM

Yes. It is one of their security feature (https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-user/recovery.html).  The Trezor screens tells you which word to enter in a random sequence (ie: word #4, word #17, word #2, etc).  This way, if you steal the seed words from your best friend... you also have to invest in buying a new Trezor!
No this is not true.
If that would be true than every Trezor would need to shuffle the words the same way and that would be a lame security feature.

It looks to me that the seed words are shuffled for cases where your computer is compromised.
This way a hacker might gain access to the 24 words but not to the correct order of them so he will still have to brute force it which will take him time.

tl;dr
If you have the seed you don't need to buy a Trezor.
Recovering Funds without TREZOR Device
You obviously don't own a Trezor.  

I own several Trezors and the link quoted is correct. It is from the Trezor user manual, I think they know their own product. It is a good idea to keep a spare Trezor around in case you lose or break yours.

KeepKey does not allow you to passphrase protect your seed using the Chrome extension. If you want to use a passphrase with KeepKey you have to use Electrum.

torusJKL

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:34:05 PM

I own several Trezors and the link quoted is correct. It is from the Trezor user manual, I think they know their own product. It is a good idea to keep a spare Trezor around in case you lose or break yours.
[...]
The link I posted is from the Trezor manual as well.
It describes how to recover the funds without a Trezor wallet (here: http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/index.html#recovering-funds-without-trezor-device)
So I'm still a bit confused how the Trezor owners stand firm on that you need a Trezor to recover the wallet with the seed.

Thus my question if the 24 words you write down initially or in the correct order or if the order is already shuffled.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2016, 04:09:19 PM

[...]
The link I posted is from the Trezor manual as well.
It describes how to recover the funds without a Trezor wallet (here: http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/index.html#recovering-funds-without-trezor-device)
So I'm still a bit confused how the Trezor owners stand firm on that you need a Trezor to recover the wallet with the seed.

Thus my question if the 24 words you write down initially or in the correct order or if the order is already shuffled.

When you initialize a Trezor you are presented with the seed words in order from one to twenty four. When you recover a Trezor you will be asked for the word that corresponds to a particular number in random fashion. If you did not fill out your recovery card properly you would have a problem.

torusJKL

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 04:48:18 PM
Last edit: January 17, 2016, 05:06:59 AM by torusJKL

When you initialize a Trezor you are presented with the seed words in order from one to twenty four. When you recover a Trezor you will be asked for the word that corresponds to a particular number in random fashion. If you did not fill out your recovery card properly you would have a problem.
I understand from this that the 24 words are in the correct order.
This means that you can recover the seed with every wallet that is BIP32 (& BIP39) compatible.
You don't need a Trezor to do that.

You can test it on http://bip32.org/ by entering the 24 words you received from Trezor.
(for security reasons only do this on a offline computer or with a wallet that has no bitcoins on it)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: