Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:50:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FBI: Bitcoin Is Domestic Terrorism, To Actively Infilitrate And Demolish Cryptoc  (Read 5375 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 12:51:56 AM

http://www.libertariannews.org/2011/08/30/bitcoin-fbi-admits-to-engaging-in-infiltration-disruption-and-dismantling-of-competing-currencies/

Thoughts? We need to make bitcoin more anonymous - eg built in coins mixer protocol.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 12:57:03 AM

This is year old speculation based on the Liberty Dollar situation. The law they prosecuted Bernhard von Nothaus under doesn't apply to bitcoin at all. Since the time of this article, an FBI analysis concerning bitcoin has been leaked, and it is far from actively antagonistic.

All that being said, I agree that a larger degree of network hardening and redundant exchange mechanisms, etc. can only benefit bitcoin in the long run.

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 01:45:40 AM

FUD - hearsay - old news (spring 2011)

the links refer to liberty dollars which used the symbol $. the guy got found guilty for the simplified terms of counterfeiting the US dollar.

it has nothing to do with bitcoin nor does bitcoin come anywhere close to american counterfeit laws. i would highlight that the use of the thailand Baht symbol for bitcoin does put bitcoin into a sticky situation with thai authorities though.

although bitcoin never calls its coin a baht. so its less of a problem then the liberty Dollars had.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 01:57:13 AM

Thoughts? We need to make bitcoin more anonymous - eg built in coins mixer protocol.

I couldn't agree more with your point of view.  Buillt-in mixing is a must-have feature, if for no other reason than to improve fungibility.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 02:06:03 AM

I couldn't agree more with your point of view.  Buillt-in mixing is a must-have feature, if for no other reason than to improve fungibility.
A good start for now would be clear step-by-step guidelines on anonymous use. I've seen random thoughts posted here and there but never any well defined brief rules to follow. It's not even as simple as just mixing because you can slip up and associate real world info quite easily if you are not aware of how it all works and then careful about using it.

J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:58:03 AM

The US cannot even keep drugs out of prisons and they are going to take out bitcoin?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 04:34:26 AM

While I like the idea of alternative currencies, the Liberty Dollar was not much different then just printing your own US dollars.  They were pegged to the US dollar yet not backed up on a dollar for dollar basis.  They were competing much more directly with the Dollar then bitcoin is. 

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 05:06:51 AM

The US cannot even keep drugs out of prisons and they are going to take out bitcoin?

I wouldn't say they've officially gone that route yet, this is just one of those silly articles that get posted up in order to make people jump to daft conclusions.
J-Norm

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:22:24 AM

I wouldn't say they've officially gone that route yet, this is just one of those silly articles that get posted up in order to make people jump to daft conclusions.

I agree completely. My point was that not only are the source material's claims completely baseless but that the underlying premise is itself absurd.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:47:01 AM

While I like the idea of alternative currencies, the Liberty Dollar was not much different then just printing your own US dollars.  They were pegged to the US dollar yet not backed up on a dollar for dollar basis.  They were competing much more directly with the Dollar then bitcoin is.  

What are you saying?  You're just making things up.  The Liberty Dollar wasn't pegged to the dollar.  It was 100% backed by silver and gold.

I agree completely. My point was that not only are the source material's claims completely baseless but that the underlying premise is itself absurd.

The source material is a press release from the US Dept. of Justice.  But, yes, I do agree that the premise is absurd.  Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that it's the opinion of a US Attorney.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:56:31 AM

Also (and I just noticed this a few weeks ago) please notice that the case in question was heard before Judge Richard Voorhees.

Any relation to any Bitcoin users we know?

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
J-Norm

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:42:31 AM

The source material is a press release from the US Dept. of Justice.  But, yes, I do agree that the premise is absurd.  Unfortunately that doesn't change the fact that it's the opinion of a US Attorney.

Yes. It could be a baseless claim from a US Attorney or a baseless claim by the Pope, baseless is baseless. It still smells like a skunk.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 03:47:37 PM

+1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: