Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:05:26 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin Foundation succeed lobbying Valve to use Bitcoin as ingame currency?  (Read 2979 times)
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:44:19 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2012, 09:52:05 AM by hazek

Can the Bitcoin Foundation succeed at lobbying Valve to use Bitcoin as ingame currency?

Well, if the Bitcoin Foundation can't make this happen then they should just disband.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 03:07:37 AM

I agree, this should be a no-brainer.  Help to get a pre-existing community to accept Bitcoin, with whatever software they might require.  Nothing too fancy, just make it work.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:44:47 AM

Using bitcoins as an online currency in a MMORPG would be brilliant. The game could be free but charge a small 1% fee on withdrawing bitcoins from the game.

The one thing that has ruined role playing games was their failure to maintain a stable economy. By using real currency this is solved.

However, I think in some areas this may be considered online gambling?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 05:59:44 AM

Using bitcoins as an online currency in a MMORPG would be brilliant. The game could be free but charge a small 1% fee on withdrawing bitcoins from the game.

The one thing that has ruined role playing games was their failure to maintain a stable economy. By using real currency this is solved.

However, I think in some areas this may be considered online gambling?

How is using a volatile currency going to encourage a stable economy?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
J-Norm

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:40:16 AM

How is using a volatile currency going to encourage a stable economy?

Online game economies are an endless repetition of hyperinflation after hyperinflation. Compared to online game currencies bitcoin is rock solid.

Just as world governments endlessly produce more money to keep the ponzi scheme from collapsing online games produce more and more currency until its population is happily accumulating worthless bits.

Take control of the currency away from the game designer and not only is the economy hyperinflation proof but they can incoorperate numerous ways to siphon bitcoins from the economy with in game perks.

I think there is a very strong business model here. You let people play for free but they enter the game with no money. They can send bitcoins to become rich in the game or they could gather resources or do other services for other players to earn currencies. The revenue for the game servers comes from certain expensive resources that can only be bought from NPCs who pay the game authors.

Online games lack poverty, they lack the power for the rich to dominate the poor. I think that dynamic is an important part of an immersive role playing game. The face that you could be a great merchent in the game and then buy real gold coins with the profit is just gravy.

It is the difference between a poker game with a $2 buy in and a poker game with a $500 buy in. In the $2 game you really don't give a shit so you are reckless, the game is less intense. In a high stake game you really act with more caution creating a dramatic standoff.

Same goes for an in game world with real world stakes, people will act with strategy instead of attacking with abandon.
alexkravets

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 06:49:27 AM

Using bitcoin for in-game currency is a great idea but it could only be made viable if game developers actually retained *some* control over movement of money.  If players are the only ones in control of their private keys that prevents the game developer from taxing the economy, the other extreme of the game developer controlling the private keys would essentially be a just another roach-motel scheme where rather than using bitcoins the players would be using *promises* to redeem to bitcoins and would have to rely on the game developer to honor those promises.  A hybrid system where balances are held in 2-out-2 multisig escrow account could potentially allow the game developers to tax the players without allowing them to run away or inflate the money supply.

Alex Kravets         http://twitter.com/alexkravets
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 1208

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 07:02:19 AM

It will be enough if they make something like Steamcoin and some good API to exchange them between users, nothing more Wink

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
alexkravets

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 07:07:22 AM

In that case they will simply create another private-central-bank system similar to Linden Labs linden dollars for Second Life. The players and other companies deploying games on the Steam platform would have to trust Valve not to abuse or manipulate the system, also to provide stability for the exchange rate Steamcoin would have to be pegged to USD, which is not necessarily optimal for world-wide deployment.  If all they wanted to do is emulate Linden Lab's second life, they wouldn't need economists advising them. 

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 07:09:19 AM

Anyway, it seems that they are going on this way:
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/27/valve-economist-sees-the-future-discusses-ar-tech-hardware/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/13zn4l/valve_wants_to_develop_a_single_currency_across/

alexkravets

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 07:11:01 AM

It's not clear yet which way Valve will go, I agree with the original poster that Bitcoin Foundation should be able to lobby and convince Valve to adopt Bitcoin rather than creating an umpteen'th roach-motel private fiat system like Linden Labs in SL.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:25:00 AM

The game could be free but charge a small 1% fee on withdrawing bitcoins from the game.

Instead of withdraw fees, they could sell "in game services and products". Like the NPC that sells you a weapon, he is actually "working" for the company hosting the game.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:47:36 AM

Well, if the Bitcoin Foundation can't make this happen then they should just disband.

The Bitcoin Foundation is not the Bitcoin business development and marketing agency.

Also, you worded your title as if it was news (something happened, past-tense).   Unless you are intentionally trying to deceive people, adding a question mark to the end of the title is the least you could do for a scenario like this.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:56:54 AM

The Bitcoin Foundation is not the Bitcoin business development and marketing agency.

While that's true, Gavin personally as lead developer could try to contact them and make a case, if they'd listen to anyone I think they'd listen to someone with his expertise. On the other hand anyone can do this, they just may not be the most capable to make the best case on a technological level, that's all I'm saying.

Also, you worded your title as if it was news (something happened, past-tense).   Unless you are intentionally trying to deceive people, adding a question mark to the end of the title is the least you could do for a scenario like this.

I agree, even with the "?" at the end it still managed to fool me for a few seconds, so I changed it.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 10:24:43 AM

I think that it would be good that Gavin has a talk with Yanis Varoufakis more than VALVe, it can be useful for both Wink

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:25:55 PM

Varoufakis seemed skeptical, so I'm pretty sure Valve is not going to be using bitcoin.

That was then. After the Wordpress announcement, I'd bet on Valve making serious reconsideration.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2222

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 02:28:36 PM

I should talk with Valve?

I'm not an expert in video game economics, and I haven't yet seen a strong argument for why a game company would give up control of their own in-game currencies for a currency that they do not (and cannot) control.

If you've got a strong argument for why they should, then YOU should talk with Valve*. They're rational and profit-driven, so if it is in their best interest they should be willing to do it.

*Cue a flood of armchair-game-economists posting their half-baked thoughts here...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 02:33:52 PM

+1, anyone can help with this.  I will see if I can reach out to Valve.  they may have some legal or accounting concerns that BitPay can address for them.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 02:48:33 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2012, 03:07:19 PM by kokojie

This is a great idea, but I think it'll be difficult to get valve on board, because valve is very strict about region locking, one of the method they use is blocking credit cards that are not from the region, using bitcoin would not be good for them.

I think the company you should try to convince is Riot, maker of the game "league of legends". There is no true in game currency for this game, they simply sell skins/champions/runepages for real money. This game is extremely popular, with 50M+ global players. They are very open to different payment methods, as shown by their payment page with tons of options. I think they would be very open to accepting bitcoin. Bitcoin would be a great way for Riot to expand their game to international markets that are traditionally difficult to accept payment from.

Also, there are many browser games that would benefit from bitcoin, for example travian or tribalwars.net. Their accepted payment methods are enormous, I think over 10 different options. One of them could be bitcoin.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
J-Norm

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 07:38:22 PM

Using bitcoin for in-game currency is a great idea but it could only be made viable if game developers actually retained *some* control over movement of money.  If players are the only ones in control of their private keys that prevents the game developer from taxing the economy, the other extreme of the game developer controlling the private keys would essentially be a just another roach-motel scheme where rather than using bitcoins the players would be using *promises* to redeem to bitcoins and would have to rely on the game developer to honor those promises.  A hybrid system where balances are held in 2-out-2 multisig escrow account could potentially allow the game developers to tax the players without allowing them to run away or inflate the money supply.

They don't need to tax the economy. They can create wealth by selling fancy weapons, allowing the skipping of tedious level up activities and most importantly when a game monster kills you can takes your coin the monster gives it to its creators,

Even if someone decides to flood the game with bitcoins that will just draw people to game to get those bitcoins. Since bitcoin is a larger economy than the game's economy then outside forces will automatically balance it.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 07:59:34 PM

Easy way for an MMORPG to make money using BTC: Sell computer generated missiles to users for BTC. User uses the missile to blow something up. Sell more missiles and more things that just got blown up.

Rinse, repeat.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: