Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:36:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paying taxes on Bitcoin income  (Read 1479 times)
slardar (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:19:27 AM

Do people do this? Is it required? Does this count as "gifts" or "barter" or "income" or expensable/are bitcoin donations converted to fiat amounts tax-deductible if you donate to a bitcoin charity?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 04:24:01 AM

Do people do this? Is it required? Does this count as "gifts" or "barter" or "income" or expensable/are bitcoin donations converted to fiat amounts tax-deductible if you donate to a bitcoin charity?

I am not an accountant,  nor a lawyer. The information I've seen says that it is considered barter income. When you donate something to a charity, you can deduct the amount that they sell it for.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 06:43:17 AM

IANAL, but in most places (it would be helpful if you were more specific), if you earn bitcoins by mining, or as payment for services, then you have to pay regular income tax on the fiat value of your bitcoins when you received them. If you bought bitcoins at an exchange, there is no income tax, but if you later sell or trade your bitcoins for more than what you paid for them, then you have to pay capital gains tax on the difference (if you sell or trade your bitcoins for less than what you paid for them, that's a capital loss which may (or may not) be tax deductible). Bitcoin donations are probably not tax deductible in most cases.

If you search this forum, you will no doubt come across absurd arguments that bitcoins aren't taxable because they aren't real money, or aren't really property, or some other ridiculous reason. Most governments don't actually care about any of that. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether bitcoins are money, a commodity, virtual property, or something else entirely; as long it has value, and you make an income or profit from that value, then you have to pay tax on that value.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:29:43 AM

What "Bitcoin income".

From mining?

From selling something where you take bitcoins for payment?

From gains realized from speculation?   Is this long term gains (one year or more) or short term (less than a yaer)?

All have different treatment.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tax_compliance

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

btctalk

Activity: 137
Merit: 112

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 03:51:55 AM

If you change them to USD or spend USD to get BTC then you can include them in your income/outcome. but if I were you I wouldn't mix the BTC and the USD currencies together for a while;)

Persian Blockchain Podcast: https://shiryakhat.net
Super Bitcoiner Club http://superbitcoiner.com
Persian Blockchain Community - http://coiniran.com - http://fb.com/IranBitcoin
strspeed

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:09:02 PM

Im sure if you call up an accountant and explain what they are to them they could tell you no problem
slardar (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 05:15:23 AM

Im sure if you call up an accountant and explain what they are to them they could tell you no problem
My accountant has no idea and just told me that it might be "wire fraud"
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 05:21:09 AM

You probably should find an accountant who has a clue.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 01:53:11 PM

In the United States, wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via wire communication.

It seems you may have done an extremely poor job of explaining what bitcoin is to your accountant.If you got your profit from running a pyramid, ponzi, other scam, or stealing then your accountant is correct.  If you received them from some legitimate process, then you explained it quite poorly.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 01:57:08 PM

i do have bitcoin income from mining, my store and from trading.
since all my bitcoin deals are against the EURO, it's easy to make a simple P/L calculation and pay capital gains tax (25%) on them.

slardar (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 02:56:43 PM

In the United States, wire fraud is any fraudulent scheme to intentionally deprive another of property or honest services via wire communication.

It seems you may have done an extremely poor job of explaining what bitcoin is to your accountant.If you got your profit from running a pyramid, ponzi, other scam, or stealing then your accountant is correct.  If you received them from some legitimate process, then you explained it quite poorly.
I basically gave a link to the wiki page and weusecoins, her response was that "isn't this one big pyramid scheme where the early adopters have significantly more coins and the later ones pick up the scraps"
destruct

Activity: 1232
Merit: 250

Alexander KOSTIN | GoldMint

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:29:24 PM

Question:

Isn't the entire point of Bitcoins to be annoymous and trade it for cash so it's tax free?

You guys seem to be missing the point if you're claiming it on your taxes.. just sayin.

Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:33:34 PM

Question:

Isn't the entire point of Bitcoins to be annoymous and trade it for cash so it's tax free?

You guys seem to be missing the point if you're claiming it on your taxes.. just sayin.

No..that's not the point of bitcoin at all. Only to a few with an extremely limited mindset.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:41:19 PM

I basically gave a link to the wiki page and weusecoins, her response was that "isn't this one big pyramid scheme where the early adopters have significantly more coins and the later ones pick up the scraps"
You may want to look into finding a new accountant.  One who understands that in any form of mining (Coal, Oil, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, etc) the early adopters get access to significantly larger sources, while later ones have to work harder to find what they are looking for and are likely to find less of it.  Does she consider gold to be "one big pyramid scheme"?  Clearly I could have received $1,240 worth of gold in 1974 and today I could sell it for $17,000 while someone who bought $1,240 worth of gold in the past year wouldn't get more than $1,408 for it today.  Doesn't that mean that as an early adopter I'd have significantly more wealth while later ones pick up the scraps?
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 12:05:11 AM

You may want to look into finding a new accountant.  One who understands that in any form of mining (Coal, Oil, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, etc) investment the early adopters get access to significantly larger sources
You definitely need to find a new accountant. Preferably one who actually knows the meaning of the word "investment". Roll Eyes

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Gotta go fast!

Activity: 45

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 03:57:21 AM

Question:

Yes, it is the point of bitcoin to me.
RhoDelta

Activity: 48

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 04:19:37 AM

A key aspect of bitcoin is to prevent against any outside interference, and yes that also includes taxation from governments.

With bitcoin you have the freedom to decide for yourself. Report or not, it is up to you.
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 04:34:27 AM

Thanks for link
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 07:45:47 AM

Question:

Yes, it is the point of bitcoin to me.

as long as part of any business goes through "traditional" banks, that part needs to be declared.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: