Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:58:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable motherboard for GPU mining?  (Read 30612 times)
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:22:43 PM

Ah, the MSI Z77A-GD55.  

That's a classic.  I never could get it in stock so i always settled for the -G45.

Excellent board!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Piladeer

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 10:03:01 AM

Ah, the MSI Z77A-GD55.  

That's a classic.  I never could get it in stock so i always settled for the -G45.

Excellent board!

GD55 got power and reset button on board, so it is quite handy. G45 is cheaper. It also works very well. The only problem is that you can only have 6 PCIE lanes working.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3178
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM

Ah, the MSI Z77A-GD55. 

That's a classic.  I never could get it in stock so i always settled for the -G45.

Excellent board!

GD55 got power and reset button on board, so it is quite handy. G45 is cheaper. It also works very well. The only problem is that you can only have 6 PCIE lanes working.
Ah, the MSI Z77A-GD55.  

Excellent board!

Those are excellent reviews for the motherboards stated previously. I am evaluating which motherboard shall be the ideal one in terms of price and reliability. I'll first start with one that goes according to my budget, and then I will upgrade to a better one.  Cheesy

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:05:26 PM

Just sot of a question while we're on this topic, I would also like to try GPU mining but would just be using one GPU on my computer, if lets say Ive set it and install cgminer script, can i still use my computer browsing the forum? Too newbie really.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
asradoni

Activity: 1039
Merit: 256

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:34:47 PM

Just sot of a question while we're on this topic, I would also like to try GPU mining but would just be using one GPU on my computer, if lets say Ive set it and install cgminer script, can i still use my computer browsing the forum? Too newbie really.

You can mine and browsing the internet without problem. You can use all the GPUs to mine. If you use Google Chrome, you need to disable "hardware acceleration". That will make your browsing more smooth.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 04:23:17 PM

I think there should not be a problem now that only the GPU would be doing all the hard work instead of the CPU. You can browse the forums in the computer with no hassles at all.  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Hexception

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 05:24:03 PM

From experience, Maybe this was just my set up. my rig ran REALLY slow whilst it was mining. Although cgminer / sgminer was not using CPU and CPU showed little activity it was still very slow as I was mining with the same gfx card my monitor was connected to.
Eliovp
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1293

Huh?

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2015, 06:59:33 PM

Well, first of all, don't mine script.. mine something asic proof..

Second, lots of mobo's have onboard vga. Just use that when mining. If it's disabled, just enable it, it's perfectly possible.

Greetings

samanas

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 09:02:03 PM

From experience, Maybe this was just my set up. my rig ran REALLY slow whilst it was mining. Although cgminer / sgminer was not using CPU and CPU showed little activity it was still very slow as I was mining with the same gfx card my monitor was connected to.

You can reduce the mining intensity of the GPU you use for monitor. It depends on the mining algorithm.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:37:46 AM

I think there should not be a problem now that only the GPU would be doing all the hard work instead of the CPU. You can browse the forums in the computer with no hassles at all.  Smiley

The only coin that will use CPU a lot is Ethereum. When you start the Etherminer, it will use the CPU a lot. After the initial set up, CPU usage will reduce.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 06:19:33 PM

I'm looking for an affordable motherboard for GPU mining that would have at least the requirements to be compatible with the latest GPUs. I think it is based on the PCI-E 2 or PCI-E  connections, am I right? Sorry, but not sure how to set up the GPUs on the motherboard.
I have been looking into ASRock motherboards (since they are cheaper) but I'm not sure if they are recommended for this tasks. I would like to know your thoughts about this matter. Thanks.  Smiley

You better look for AMD motherboards.

You have the military grade type one A
you can get up to 6 GPU's in there.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pci-express-3-0-motherboard?_trksid=p2047675.m3443
Bazelak

Activity: 221

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 07:46:23 PM

Ah, the MSI Z77A-GD55.  

Excellent board!

All the 7 PCIE slots can be used for mining. So You can get up to 7 cards or 8 GPUs if you have dual GPU cards.

▃▄▅▆▇ STOX -  ETH based Prediction Market ▇▆▅▄▃
▂▃▅▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆ Token Sale   ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▅▃▂
Whitepaper | ANN | Bounty | Telegram | Twitter | Website
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 08:06:52 PM

I'm looking for an affordable motherboard for GPU mining that would have at least the requirements to be compatible with the latest GPUs. I think it is based on the PCI-E 2 or PCI-E  connections, am I right? Sorry, but not sure how to set up the GPUs on the motherboard.
I have been looking into ASRock motherboards (since they are cheaper) but I'm not sure if they are recommended for this tasks. I would like to know your thoughts about this matter. Thanks.  Smiley

I have one question though, if I had to choose the most reliable or durable motherboard, which would be the ideal one that meets this criteria? Gigabyte or Asus Motherboards? In regards to how they look, I love Gigabyte better.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
Bazelak

Activity: 221

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:30:23 AM

I have one question though, if I had to choose the most reliable or durable motherboard, which would be the ideal one that meets this criteria? Gigabyte or Asus Motherboards? In regards to how they look, I love Gigabyte better.  Grin

Do not use the military grade mother boards. They are too expensive.

The mining has very low requirement for the motherboard, so you can choose the lowest spec MB. Any brand will do. You just need more PCIE slots and powered PCIE extension lead.

▃▄▅▆▇ STOX -  ETH based Prediction Market ▇▆▅▄▃
▂▃▅▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆ Token Sale   ▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▆▅▃▂
Whitepaper | ANN | Bounty | Telegram | Twitter | Website
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:59:33 AM

The mining has very low requirement for the motherboard, so you can choose the lowest spec MB. Any brand will do. You just need more PCIE slots and powered PCIE extension lead.

Exactly. ASRock's Pro BTC boards (H61 & H81) are above and beyond every alternative. You better spend the money on better GPUs or better PSU but these boards are perfect and inexpensive.

Not your keys, not your coins!
ldw-com

Activity: 229

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 12:05:15 PM

Exactly. ASRock's Pro BTC boards (H61 & H81) are above and beyond every alternative. You better spend the money on better GPUs or better PSU but these boards are perfect and inexpensive.

True, bit shame that the H61 is EOL Sad
samanas

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:56:34 AM

I have a few H61 Asrock motherboard, it works very well. I hope H81 is still being produced.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 11:20:27 AM

I have a few H61 Asrock motherboard, it works very well. I hope H81 is still being produced.

H61 is quite cheap. Unfortunately, it has not been produced for some time.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:42:26 PM

Given the cost of ANY Intel CPU, I can't see how anyone can recommend Intel-based motherboards for miners.

Definitely go AMD.

Gigabite has a new revision of their Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 board out, which is a good thing as the old version had gotten to be a pain to find in stock anywhere for a while.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:54:23 PM

Given the cost of ANY Intel CPU, I can't see how anyone can recommend Intel-based motherboards for miners.

Definitely go AMD.

Gigabite has a new revision of their Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 board out, which is a good thing as the old version had gotten to be a pain to find in stock anywhere for a while.

Because for the price of an UD3 I can get both a H81 and a Pentium G3420.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: