Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:00:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Affordable motherboard for GPU mining?  (Read 30612 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:53:33 PM

I'm looking for an affordable motherboard for GPU mining that would have at least the requirements to be compatible with the latest GPUs. I think it is based on the PCI-E 2 or PCI-E  connections, am I right? Sorry, but not sure how to set up the GPUs on the motherboard.
I have been looking into ASRock motherboards (since they are cheaper) but I'm not sure if they are recommended for this tasks. I would like to know your thoughts about this matter. Thanks.  Smiley

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:08:59 PM

You want to look at two motherboards and probably those two only:
ASRock H61 Pro BTC and ASRock H81 Pro BTC.
The main difference between them is the CPU socket.

These motherboards can easily handle 6 cards but you'll need PCI-E risers. I'd highly recommend only using powered USB risers and avoiding ribbon risers at all costs.

If you want a motherboard in which you can put cards without risers you're going to have to reach deep into your pocket and even then you'll probably run into thermal throttling with some beefier cards if they are that close together.

Feel free to ask anything about mining here on in pm.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:49:34 PM

These motherboards can easily handle 6 cards but you'll need PCI-E risers. I'd highly recommend only using powered USB risers and avoiding ribbon risers at all costs.

If you want a motherboard in which you can put cards without risers you're going to have to reach deep into your pocket and even then you'll probably run into thermal throttling with some beefier cards if they are that close together.

Thank you mate! You helped me choose a decent motherboard to use for GPU mining. There is a little concern that I have and that is once everything is set up, how do I configure the mining process. In this case, how could I configure CGminer to use all 6 GPUs for example?  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:05:14 AM

Thank you mate! You helped me choose a decent motherboard to use for GPU mining. There is a little concern that I have and that is once everything is set up, how do I configure the mining process. In this case, how could I configure CGminer to use all 6 GPUs for example?  Grin

Both windows and linux should recognize the cards without any issues. Though I'm not familiar with cg/sgminer it's probably just a command line argument. But you may want to look into the documentation of the miner because there will be tons of settings you'll have to get familiar with.

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:25:16 AM

Both windows and linux should recognize the cards without any issues. Though I'm not familiar with cg/sgminer it's probably just a command line argument. But you may want to look into the documentation of the miner because there will be tons of settings you'll have to get familiar with.

Thanks for your reply. I will just take a look at the available commands to get started in this business. It is a very exciting world out there for a miner (at least I think)  Smiley

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 01:01:48 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will just take a look at the available commands to get started in this business. It is a very exciting world out there for a miner (at least I think)  Smiley

It is exciting and a great hobby but it's not very profitable anymore. ROI is well over a year for most miners with average electricity costs.

Flodemaga

Activity: 286
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:56:30 AM

Asrock H61 and H81 motherboards are the cheapest 6 PCIE boards for mining. The board has 2 extra molex connectors. So you can use non powered risers. I would suggest using 2 powered, 4 unpowered.
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:36:19 PM

Always go all powered. 

Yes, you say - all powered risers is overkill and technically not necessary - but the cost diff. between a powered vs. non-powered riser is minimal, so why take the chance with non-powered risers?
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:40:15 PM

Always go all powered. 

Yes, you say - all powered risers is overkill and technically not necessary - but the cost diff. between a powered vs. non-powered riser is minimal, so why take the chance with non-powered risers?

This!

Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:06:05 PM

It is exciting and a great hobby but it's not very profitable anymore. ROI is well over a year for most miners with average electricity costs.

Could it be profitable if I don't need to pay for electricity costs? Let's say I use solar and wind power for all my miners...will it still be profitable? Anyways, I  don't mind since I will only do it for fun.  Grin

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:30:35 PM

Could it be profitable if I don't need to pay for electricity costs? Let's say I use solar and wind power for all my miners...will it still be profitable? Anyways, I  don't mind since I will only do it for fun.  Grin

It can be profitable with average electricity but with free electricity it's much more profitable. Let's say a 6 card rig with modern GPUs use 1000W. With $0.13 kWh you're going to pay $3.12 a day or $93.6 a month. The cards together would make very roughly about $5-8 a day before electricity. So yeah, electricity matters a lot. These are just wide estimations, maybe someone with AMD cards could chip in.

Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 07:30:58 PM

Always go all powered. 

It depends on how many spare molex connectors you have from your power supply. If you have enough molex, then use powered risers.
Hexception

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:10:43 PM

I always used a ASROCK extreme 3 990fx. Never had any problems.
4 x GPU using a riser cable and frame

Always go all powered.  

It depends on how many spare molex connectors you have from your power supply. If you have enough molex, then use powered risers.

you SHOULD ALWAYS have a good stable power supply when creating a rig. a good stable power supply will always have enough molex.

I agree with the all powered risers.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:06:14 PM

It can be profitable with average electricity but with free electricity it's much more profitable. Let's say a 6 card rig with modern GPUs use 1000W. With $0.13 kWh you're going to pay $3.12 a day or $93.6 a month. The cards together would make very roughly about $5-8 a day before electricity. So yeah, electricity matters a lot. These are just wide estimations, maybe someone with AMD cards could chip in.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the electricity costs. For now, I don't have to pay for electricity because I am living with my parents. Until then, I will figure out a way to pay for less electricity in the future.  Cheesy

████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 10:32:18 PM

I agree about having quality power supplies and one important note is to only buy ones with a single 12v rail. Multi rail PSUs very likely won't work.
And of course enough molex and PCI-E 6/8 pins.

Hexception

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 11:34:01 PM

I agree about having quality power supplies and one important note is to only buy ones with a single 12v rail. Multi rail PSUs very likely won't work.

This is what I used

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1200-X1

I am using the same PSU now in the machine I am posting from over 2 years later, never let me down.
bathrobehero
Legendary

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 11:42:56 PM

This is what I used

I am using the same PSU now in the machine I am posting from over 2 years later, never let me down.

I'm using a couple of the 1300W gold variant (G2) of that PSU in my bigger rigs and love them. Bit pricey but I intend to resell the cards in good condition after it's not profitable to mine with them anymore and the PSUs themselves are pretty good at keeping their resell value and they have a very long warranty.

Hexception

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 12:40:14 AM

This is what I used

I'm using a couple of the 1300W gold variant (G2) of that PSU in my bigger rigs and love them. Bit pricey but I intend to resell the cards in good condition after it's not profitable to mine with them anymore and the PSUs themselves are pretty good at keeping their resell value and they have a very long warranty.

I think it is definitely worth spending out on though. When you have stable power running through you system it makes a huge difference especially with risers. I think motherboard and power is just as important as the GPU specs.
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 06:00:59 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2015, 06:28:48 AM by atp1916

Good board candidates for 5+ cards are the Asrock H61s/81s (Intel), the MSI Z77A-G45 (Intel), Asrock 970 Extreme4 (AMD), Asus M5A97 (AMD), and Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (AMD). I used all of these boards in my farm a while back and can do 5+ cards.

Koamder

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:55:48 AM

Good board candidates for 5+ cards are the Asrock H61s/81s (Intel), the MSI Z77A-G45 (Intel), Asrock 970 Extreme4 (AMD), Asus M5A97 (AMD), and Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (AMD). I used all of these boards in my farm a while back and can do 5+ cards.

I have the Asrock H61 and MSI Z77A-GD55 in my mining rigs. They are work well. I would recommend them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: