Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 08:57:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Gov't Phasing out the PENNY and NICKEL in 2013  (Read 5382 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:53:34 AM

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/basemetal_coin_calculator.html

I use this website. Nickels recently were worth about $0.08 if I recall correctly, but it looks like they've gone down to what they are actually supposed to be. I save nickels anyway simply because they aren't clad junk.

Copper pennies are worth two pennies.

I'm talking about melt value of course.

I'm still curious why our nickel today (same materials) could buy much more in the 40's, 50's, 60's, etc.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:54:05 AM

I use this website. Nickels recently were worth about $0.08 if I recall correctly, but it looks like they've gone down to what they are actually supposed to be. I save nickels anyway simply because they aren't clad junk.

Is there a certain year for better (more %) copper pennies ?

smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:56:46 AM

1982 and earlier.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:58:44 AM

1982 and earlier.

thanks, ill look into it

laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 05:06:04 PM

I have been stacking pre 82 pennies for years, that is the way to go in my opinion. 

Currently:

pre 82 pennies have a metal value of =$0.0238623

nickels have a metal value of = $0.0517926
http://www.coinflation.com/

So you more than double your investment with the penny, not so much with the nickel.

The downside is that you have to sort the pennies.  A lot of people hand sort, but if you want to get serious about sorting you can grab one of these:
http://www.pennysorter.com/

I usually go to the bank and grab $100 worth of pennies at a time, sort them, and return the 83 and older pennies into the change machine at the bank, with a zero processing fee.  I love my bank!  1 out of every 4 or so boxes I find an Indian head penny, and a few handful of Wheaties too, and I can sell those on ebay for added profit.

Ill also do this with dime and quarter boxes treasure hunting silver. I usually find 1 silver coin per box in the dimes and quarters.  You have to hand sort those though, but it is fast work, looking at the edges of the coins for lines.
bitCooper

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 11:49:00 PM

You guys do know it's illegal to melt these coins, right?
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 01:36:34 AM

It IS illegal, until they take them out of circulation, then whoever has the most, wins.
johnniewalker
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 02:11:30 AM

If this doesn't wake people up I don't know what will
joelnet

Activity: 49

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 08:38:15 AM

Appears to be a HOAX that went viral.

http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins

Are there any plans to remove the one-cent coin (more popularly known as "the "penny) from circulation?

We occasionally hear from people who believe that the Mint should stop producing one-cent coins and remove them from circulation. You may be interested to know that the penny is the most widely used denomination currently in circulation. There was a study conducted in 1976 of this and other suggestions regarding our coinage system. However, the idea of eliminating the penny received strong objections from an overwhelming majority of State revenue collection departments, retail firms, and commercial banks. Other objections voiced in later studies concerned the inflationary impact of such a proposal on prices and possible difficulties on collecting sales taxes.

It has not been confirmed that the penny has outlived its usefulness. Neither business nor the public as a whole has pressured for changes in the coin denominations in circulation today. In addition, our coin and currency system is among the most trusted in the world. The vast majority of users apparently are content with the existing coin denominations, including the one-cent coin. As a result, the Treasury Department has no plans now to cease production of the penny. In addition, such a change to the United States monetary system could not be done without prior Congressional authorization. If directed to do so by legislation enacted by the Congress and signed by the President, the Treasury Department would again study phasing out the penny. Since the demand exists and the Federal Reserve Banks require inventories to meet the demand, the United States Mint is committed to producing the penny.

tldr; the Treasury Department has no plans now to cease production of the penny

So if you wen't out and bought $100 worth of nickels and the teller looked at you like you were insane.  It's because you were insane Wink
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 12:17:56 AM

Appears to be a HOAX that went viral.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 04:49:56 AM

even though the news was fake it seems it still is a good investment to hoard pre-1982 pennies (95% copper 5% zinc)...

kalleguld

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 11:52:39 PM

The vast majority of users apparently are content with the existing coin denominations, including the one-cent coin.
This is what I don't get. The penny is, for all intents and purposes, useless. The only machines they interact with are those designed to getting rid of them. Even if you collected all the pennies you've ever come into contact with you couldn't buy a Happy Meal. And if you really wanted precision, why not go for 1/10 of a cent?
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 06:31:49 PM

The vast majority of users apparently are content with the existing coin denominations, including the one-cent coin.
This is what I don't get. The penny is, for all intents and purposes, useless. The only machines they interact with are those designed to getting rid of them. Even if you collected all the pennies you've ever come into contact with you couldn't buy a Happy Meal. And if you really wanted precision, why not go for 1/10 of a cent?

Are you saying that no one ever comes into contact with more than 300 - 400 pennies during his/her lifetime?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:02:32 PM

Are you saying that no one ever comes into contact with more than 300 - 400 pennies during his/her lifetime?

I was shocked as well! I've actually purchased happy meals with pennies!

Like I'm sayin'.    Huh  Roll Eyes

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
amagimetals

Activity: 519
Merit: 501

:|: AmagiMetals :|: AnthemGold :|: HERC :|:

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 05:48:49 PM

Many drugs are illegal too. People still do drugs.

AmagiMetals.com is a global eCommerce precious metals retailer and advocates for free markets, free choice, financial responsibility, and sound money.
Join us on: Facebook - Twitter - Google Plus
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 06:07:57 PM

picked up $100 worth of nickels today at the bank when I cashed a check, the people looked at me like I was insaaaaaane

I'm doing this too on a slightly smaller scale.  With every paycheck, I'm taking out $20 in mint-rolled nickels and putting them aside.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 10:17:08 AM

Good, good...

I can't wait till you guys discover gold scraping using hazardous chemicals.
Bees Brothers

Activity: 457
Merit: 291

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 03:46:28 AM

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/12/debasement-is-still-inevitable-another-year-for-the-real-cupronickel-nickel.html

The above article has some more links on the topic.

Don't tread on bees! http://beesbros.com
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 04:02:16 AM

Since I am considering doing my next 5 BTC coin in .999 fine silver instead of a nickel-plated car wash token, I've been thinking that I'd like to issue a tongue-in-cheek press release of how I'm "forced" to use a more expensive metal for my 5BTC coin due to "plummeting" commodity costs when priced in Bitcoin.

Such a thing might contain the following:

"When I first introduced the 5-BTC physical bitcoin, it made a lot of sense, because it had a face value of something like fifteen bucks, and the premium on the coin was sensible relative to its face value.  Now that Bitcoins have appreciated so much in value, it seems ridiculous to have what's essentially an arcade token not much bigger than a quarter, made of common base metals, bearing a face value that makes it worth well over $60 US dollars."

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:56:38 PM

Evidence of 2 things. Increased electronic payment through debit and credit cards and a minimal use of cash and the obvious pervasive inflation. Solution? Put your money into the hard assets and bitcoins. Then it has no effect Cheesy

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: