Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:50:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does a high-priority tx get delayed?  (Read 865 times)
birr (OP)

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:26:03 AM

I just sent a tx and the first confirmation took an hour.

d75f3a16f84351a7cb23e24c0b082b8acb5ce4bc33f28fbe5a77a738842020bb

Blockchain.info said the transaction was high priority, supposed to confirm "very soon."
Is the network overloaded right now?  Or do some random transactions sometimes just take way too long for no particular reason?
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6635

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 03:31:05 AM

Blockchain.info's priority thing is not particularly accurate. In fact anything that estimates the confirmation time is probably wrong.

The problem with your transaction was the small fee. You will need a higher fee in order to get transactions to confirm faster.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:33:51 AM

I have had the same issue.
If your transactions are high priority, but the transaction fee = 0, what happens?
Sometimes it gets confirmed immediately, sometimes it takes hours...
Pattart

Activity: 1190
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:35:55 AM

I have had the same issue.
If your transactions are high priority, but the transaction fee = 0, what happens?
Sometimes it gets confirmed immediately, sometimes it takes hours...
Priority is calculated by coin age and the fee. If you are spending old inputs, then the priority increases. There is some space reserved in blocks for these low fee but high priority transactions. However this space is SMALL and is probably taken up by other transactions very quickly. Sometimes you might get lucky and other times not.
birr (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:55:34 AM

Thanks for the answers.
I sent that tx from Mycelium wallet.
Mycelium has several fee levels, like low, normal and high priority, to choose from.  I used the "normal" fee but in this case apparently mycelium calculated a fee that was a little low.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:02:33 AM

Blockchain.info's priority checker thing is very inaccurate. To make sure that your transactions gets confirmed quite quite quickly, make sure you have a decent amount of fees.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:08:03 AM

Blockchain.info says "very soon" means most likely your transaction will be confirmed when next block mined, but it's not accurate.
The reason your transaction took 1 hour for a confirmation because there are many transaction in network & your fees is below recommended (only 0.0002BTC/kb, you should use 0.0005BTC/kb to get faster confirmation)

Yeah. You really should use more fees if you want your transactions to get confirmed faster. You can blame anyone except yourself for this incident.
quentincole32

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:19:30 AM

Blockchain.info says "very soon" means most likely your transaction will be confirmed when next block mined, but it's not accurate.
The reason your transaction took 1 hour for a confirmation because there are many transaction in network & your fees is below recommended (only 0.0002BTC/kb, you should use 0.0005BTC/kb to get faster confirmation)
is the recipient also influence the speed of transaction?
i sent bitcoin to primedice,and its very fast,but when i try to sent to bittrex,its taking long time,can you explain about this?

▃▃▌▌AMBROSUS▐▐▃▃▃ - TRUSTED QUALITY OF FOOD & MEDICINE
ICO date 13 September
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:33:12 AM

Blockchain.info's priority checker is pretty outdated and innacurate.  In actuaality, they should like to cointape.com, or you should use cointape for reference. I find it's accurate and overall quite good.

I never trust blockchain, I use coinbase, they pay the fees and use cointape. MyCelium's tx fees are outdated, just use a custom one.

is the recipient also influence the speed of transaction?
i sent bitcoin to primedice,and its very fast,but when i try to sent to bittrex,its taking long time,can you explain about this?

The recipient does not influence the speed of the transaction.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:23:12 PM

Yeah. You really should use more fees if you want your transactions to get confirmed faster. You can blame anyone except yourself for this incident.

actually he can partially blame china pools.. they mine empty blocks, that would help lower the confirmation time on transactions.
there is absolutely no reason to mine an empty block as there are ALWAYS transactions waiting to get confirmed.

extrabyte
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:34:27 PM

It can be high priority but the transaction fees seems to be low like 2cents in this case that's why it is delayed but the most important thing is that it got confirmed.
birr (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 09:25:24 AM

Who'd a-thunk it?
According to the Mycelium guy, 50 minutes went by without a block.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=293472.msg13229499#msg13229499
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: