Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amir Taaki, Founder of Intersango, talk: "Bitcoin, a virtual currency"  (Read 2023 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1116
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 11:49:08 PM

Amir Taaki, Founder of Intersango - Bitcoin, a virtual currency
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-DVOYyx_6U

Unbelievably this video isn't a prank. Or is it?!
I hope someone does some good follow ups on this or I will see my self forced to do it, one of these days.
Because... it isn't excuse the complexity of the subject standing as an expert on the subject.
If he really did write a bitcoin client and can do more than Flash animations and bell ringing, well... than he would be doing much better explaining the intrinsicaties of Satoshi paper, like explaining what, why and how are digital signatures used by bitcoin; how is hashing used in bitcoin, about the block creation and mining reward, proof-of-work, and so.
At least 90% of the people hate hackers, so he better explained properly what he meant saying that "we" were hackers. I know hacking can be an ethical activity but many people don't and I think it is very mean not making a distinction between right and wrong activities, 
I don't think it did a good job explaining it. And cryptography isn't limited by the number of prime numbers that is known, and the methods/alogithms used by bitcoin are in practice quite impossible to break or hack. It all needs really better explanation.
We need to keep instructing ourselves in order to make ourselves clear and be able to
dissipate all sorts of confusions that are prone to arise.
Also the potential of bitcoin was left too vague and I think he should had given better hints about what he meant regarding that, like mentioning the possibility of smart propriety, distributed contracts, provably fair gambling, and so. He just left it very vague at that point.

Inventor of: "Conic-Upward-Jet-Thrust 𝕊ℙ𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔼𝕃𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕋𝕆ℝ" ¦¦ Monetize pics of in/out cash (with GPS metatag on and timestamp captions) ¦¦ archive.is/OMUJQ ¦¦ Forking LITECOIN: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5362345 ¦¦ https://twitter.com/CubicPostcode/status/1782131590006477273
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:47:40 AM

Why are we talking about Amir still? Shouldn't he be sitting in a jail cell by now?
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:50:18 AM

Why are we talking about Amir still? Shouldn't he be sitting in a jail cell by now?
Not been reading up much, what did he do?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 12:56:21 AM

Amir Taaki, Founder of Intersango - Bitcoin, a virtual currency
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-DVOYyx_6U

Unbelievably this video isn't a prank. Or is it?!
I hope someone does some good follow ups on this or I will see my self forced to do it, one of these days.
Because... it isn't excuse the complexity of the subject standing as an expert on the subject.
If he really did write a bitcoin client and can do more than Flash animations and bell ringing, well... than he would be doing much better explaining the intrinsicaties of Satoshi paper, like explaining what, why and how are digital signatures used by bitcoin; how is hashing used in bitcoin, about the block creation and mining reward, proof-of-work, and so.
At least 90% of the people hate hackers, so he better explained properly what he meant saying that "we" were hackers. I know hacking can be an ethical activity but many people don't and I think it is very mean not making a distinction between right and wrong activities,  
I don't think it did a good job explaining it. And cryptography isn't limited by the number of prime numbers that is known, and the methods/alogithms used by bitcoin are in practice quite impossible to break or hack. It all needs really better explanation.
We need to keep instructing ourselves in order to make ourselves clear and be able to
dissipate all sorts of confusions that are prone to arise.
Also the potential of bitcoin was left too vague and I think he should had given better hints about what he meant regarding that, like mentioning the possibility of smart propriety, distributed contracts, provably fair gambling, and so. He just left it very vague at that point.

Leaving aside the question of whether or not Amir is regarded by the community as an "expert", plenty of technically competent people are not good speakers and suck shit at explaining concepts to others.  If you believe better explanations are needed, get to work on creating them - all though there are already many good explanations out there if you bother looking for them.

It's also somewhat ironic that you're criticising someone else's ability to communicate effectively when it takes considerable effort on the part of the reader to comprehend your own post.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
yokosan

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:05:32 PM

And this gentlemen is why bitcoin is, and forever will be, a joke.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:19:27 PM

Last question (21'): "What sets bitcoins apart from cash (or anything else) which explains it's value"
His answer: "You have lots of people who think it has value"

I am not surprised that serious people perceive it as a Ponzi scheme, provided such an answer by a so-called expert.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 09:35:04 PM

This is a repost, therefor I'm locking it.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: