Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:27:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: static receiving address and public key of receiving address  (Read 1345 times)
zip1 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:11:43 PM

Hello guys,

I am somewhat new to bitcoin and electrum, and wanted some help from more experience people like yourself :

1) How can i create a static receiving address in electrum  ? Or is this unnecessary since all receiving addresses in electrum automatically static ? (meaning they stay forever in your electrum wallet)
Because i want to have a receiving address in electrum, which i can always use to receive donations. So that people who want to donate can always use this same address.  But i don't want to always having to publish another address after a certain period.

2) How do i obtain the public key (compressed) for this receiving address ? Is this just right clicking on the receiving address ?

3) Can i use this same public key from that receiving address for multisig transactions ?

regards,
zip.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 03:14:27 PM

The easiest way to do what you are talking about is to generate and import your own address/private key.
Depending on what version of electrum you are using the instructions for this vary slightlly but a google search would help you out immensely.

I highly suggest that you always keep backups of your private keys and electrum wallets.. As electrum is pretty prone to being buggy and you often have to use the backup to refresh a bugged or stuck wallet.

Vanitygen can be used to generate yourself BTC private keys/Addresses. Check it out.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:31:35 PM

OK MRKLY,

So like you suggested, i will use Vanitygen to create a static BTC address. And then what ?

1) I import the private key in electrum ?  After importing it, i suppose i can spend money from it (because i want to move the BTC to another address constantly)

2) But then how do i obtain the public key of this generated static BTC address ? Because on the website of Vanitygen it only gives me a BTC address and a private key, but no public key of the address. How do this in electrum, obtain a public key of an address ?
zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:44:23 PM

I suppose i could also use coinb.in offline, which immediately also gives me the public key on top of the address and pvt key.
Only thing is it is less personalized address
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6120

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:56:59 PM

OK MRKLY,

So like you suggested, i will use Vanitygen to create a static BTC address. And then what ?

1) I import the private key in electrum ?  After importing it, i suppose i can spend money from it (because i want to move the BTC to another address constantly)

2) But then how do i obtain the public key of this generated static BTC address ? Because on the website of Vanitygen it only gives me a BTC address and a private key, but no public key of the address. How do this in electrum, obtain a public key of an address ?

I can't seem to understand what you are saying here , A public key is basically the address which is public and you give it people to receive funds from them , the private key is what control that address and let you spend the funds . So what do you exactly want to do here ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:09:32 PM

Just use one Electrum receiving address and give it out to people. It can be used forever to receive funds. Every receiving address generated is good forever and there is no reason to do anything fancy beyond just using any receiving address generated by your Electrum wallet.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:27:41 PM

I can't seem to understand what you are saying here , A public key is basically the address which is public and you give it people to receive funds from them , the private key is what control that address and let you spend the funds . So what do you exactly want to do here ?

A public key is absolutey NOT the same as an address.

If you think that, then go to coinb.in and click on generate new address, and tell me why "public key" and "address" are two different strings. I'm curious to your explanation.

And why i need a public key of an address ? Wel, you need public keys to create multisig transactions.

zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:38:31 PM

Just use one Electrum receiving address and give it out to people. It can be used forever to receive funds. Every receiving address generated is good forever and there is no reason to do anything fancy beyond just using any receiving address generated by your Electrum wallet.

So i can just use any receiving address in electrum ? All receiving addresses in electrum are static and remain there forever in your wallet ?

And once again i will ask the same hoping for an answer  : how do i obtain the public key of a receiving address in electrum ?
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 05:56:59 PM

So i can just use any receiving address in electrum ? All receiving addresses in electrum are static and remain there forever in your wallet ?

And once again i will ask the same hoping for an answer  : how do i obtain the public key of a receiving address in electrum ?

Just go to the tab labeled "Addresses" and use any address under "Receiving." You can even use a "Change" address if you want. Electrum is an HD wallet and based on your seeds all addresses are predetermined. It just shows you more as you need them, but yes EVERY address is permanent for life for the wallet created with your seed. The BTC address shown is the public key. You don't need to know the private key as Electrum generates them as needed. You can export them but it is not advised. Simply keep your seed backed up in a safe place if you ever need to recover your wallet.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 06:12:53 PM

Hello guys,

I am somewhat new to bitcoin and electrum, and wanted some help from more experience people like yourself :

Hi,

some of the answers I have read above are plain dangerous. Please keep in mind that many posting here do so for their paid signature and you will have to double check almost all answers you get here. There are a few exceptions, but you should not believe me, because I also sell my signature.

1) How can i create a static receiving address in electrum ? Or is this unnecessary since all receiving addresses in electrum automatically static ? (meaning they stay forever in your electrum wallet)

All addresses are static in this sense and all will be recoverable from your seed. Electrum will keep 20 unused addresses ready for you at all times, but you can also always see the older ones. Open the "addresses" tab. You will see "Receiving" which can be opened with the little triangle. And within "receiving" you will see "used" which can also be opened.

Because i want to have a receiving address in electrum, which i can always use to receive donations. So that people who want to donate can always use this same address.  But i don't want to always having to publish another address after a certain period.

2) How do i obtain the public key (compressed) for this receiving address ? Is this just right clicking on the receiving address ?

Whether or not a public key is compressed can not be easily seen. You can get the public key in hex format by right clickin on an address is in the "addresses" tab and selecting "public keys". If you want to know whether or not the key is compressed you need to look at the private key in WIF format. Instead of clicking "public keys" you click on "private key". After you entered your password electrum will show the private key, make sure it stays private. If it starts with a '5' its for an uncompressed key, if it starts with an 'L' or 'K' its for a compressed key. AFAIK electrum uses uncompressed keys.

3) Can i use this same public key from that receiving address for multisig transactions ?

regards,
zip.

Multi sig works with compressed and uncompressed keys. You can use them to create a multi sig address, yes. You will get a new address though.

-snip-
The BTC address shown is the public key.
-snip-

No.

Priv key -> pub key -> address. The address is essentially a specially hashed public key. Both can be shared without worry, but they are not the same and they serve different purposes.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:47:10 PM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 11:56:07 PM by zip1

THank you VERY MUCH Shorena !!!  

I can't stress it enough.

First of all for warning me of a lot of people just posting for their signature, which i think was everyone on this thread except you, since you are the only who has given me clear and CORRECT answers !!  And all the others were mostly just plain wrong, so they probably indeed had another reason for posting like you said.

Shame on the others for misleading me by just posting something for your signature !

This answer from you deserves a reward, and in time i will contact you for your BTC address. and deposit you some BTC into your wallet, for the warning and giving me clear correct answers ! First i need to acquire some BTC, but it will happen, because i am thankful for your answer?

zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:00:13 PM

Whether or not a public key is compressed can not be easily seen. You can get the public key in hex format by right clickin on an address is in the "addresses" tab and selecting "public keys". If you want to know whether or not the key is compressed you need to look at the private key in WIF format. Instead of clicking "public keys" you click on "private key". After you entered your password electrum will show the private key, make sure it stays private. If it starts with a '5' its for an uncompressed key, if it starts with an 'L' or 'K' its for a compressed key. AFAIK electrum uses uncompressed keys.

Shorena,

If i only have the uncompressed public key, how can i convert it to the compressed format ?
Is there a conversion tool anywhere for it on the net ?
Because i need the compressed format.

Thanks.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 08:19:36 PM

Shorena,

If i only have the uncompressed public key, how can i convert it to the compressed format ?
Is there a conversion tool anywhere for it on the net ?
Because i need the compressed format.

Thanks.

You can use bitaddress.org. Well actually if you use it, download it and use it locally. Its made to run locally, but better safe than sorry. It has a "Wallet Details" tab. If you enter any private key in any format there it will show you all common formats (Base58/WIF, hex and base64). This includes the compressed and uncompressed WIF priv. keys, as well as the hex pubkeys and addresses for them. Keep in mind that if you import private keys into electrum it will create a different wallet file for them and they will (obviously) not be covered by the seed.

You dont have to tip me, but Im glad for any donation to my node. http://213.165.91.169/ ( 14GXh8khHXd8p4nQRCQdWi7fvHsNCDBkTG )

zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 11:53:57 PM

You can use bitaddress.org. Well actually if you use it, download it and use it locally. Its made to run locally, but better safe than sorry. It has a "Wallet Details" tab. If you enter any private key in any format there it will show you all common formats (Base58/WIF, hex and base64). This includes the compressed and uncompressed WIF priv. keys, as well as the hex pubkeys and addresses for them. Keep in mind that if you import private keys into electrum it will create a different wallet file for them and they will (obviously) not be covered by the seed.

You dont have to tip me, but Im glad for any donation to my node. http://213.165.91.169/ ( 14GXh8khHXd8p4nQRCQdWi7fvHsNCDBkTG )

I already used bitaddress.org to create paper wallets, so i know the tool, but i didn't know it could do that also. I will try it.

I'm not gonna import a pvt key into electrum. I'm just gonna import the pvt key of my electrum default wallet into bitaddress.org offline, so it can give me the compressed public key of my default wallet.

So if bitaddress.org tool can derive my public key from my private key, then that means basically that every receiving address in my default wallet has the same public key, correct ? (since my default wallet only has one private key and x receiving addresses).

OK, i will gladly donate to your node then.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 12:46:15 PM

I already used bitaddress.org to create paper wallets, so i know the tool, but i didn't know it could do that also. I will try it.

I'm not gonna import a pvt key into electrum. I'm just gonna import the pvt key of my electrum default wallet into bitaddress.org offline, so it can give me the compressed public key of my default wallet.

So if bitaddress.org tool can derive my public key from my private key, then that means basically that every receiving address in my default wallet has the same public key, correct ? (since my default wallet only has one private key and x receiving addresses).

OK, i will gladly donate to your node then.

No, you have a single master private key than is covered by the seed. The master priv key can be used to derive new private keys. Each of those private keys has two public keys (one compressed and one uncompressed) and two addresses (for the two pub keys). Each of the receiving addresses should show a different private key, unless something went wrong with the wallet.

There is also the master public key (xpubkey) which can only be used to derive all public keys and as such all addresses, but not the private keys.

zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 05:03:36 PM

OK, but it doesn't matter which receiving address i use for the obtaining a public key, right ?

Since all receiving addresses stay permanently in the electrum wallet if i'm correct ?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2015, 05:12:14 PM

OK, but it doesn't matter which receiving address i use for the obtaining a public key, right ?

Yes, as long as you pick the same in the future if you want to have the same public key. Mabye label the address you use accordingly to make it easier to remember.

Since all receiving addresses stay permanently in the electrum wallet if i'm correct ?

Correct.

zip1 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 07:15:08 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2015, 07:26:49 PM by zip1

Wooow Shorena,

With your clear and correct answers, i have already learned sooo much !
Because now i fully understand the concept of receiving addresses, their related public keys (compressed and uncompressed), that each receiving address has a different public key and private key, and the fact that there is only one master private key and one master public key. You know, i've been asking a lot of questions on different forums lately, and only you could give me the correct answers !! I guess a lot of people still don't know what they are talking about when it concerns bitcoin.

You clearly stand out from these other wannabe's,  only-posting-for-signature morons !

I will not forget to donate to your node my friend !  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: