Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:14:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: In order for a cryptocurrency to be successful in 5 years time, it must have... (you can choose up to 30 options, but try to only choose the features you feel are most important)
Proof of Work Consensus Algorithm (all variants) - 21 (3.6%)
Proof of Stake Consensus Algorithm (all variants) - 12 (2%)
Large Network Effect (BTC, LTC ... arguable for a few other cryptos as well) - 21 (3.6%)
High Scalability - 37 (6.3%)
High Transaction Speeds - 29 (4.9%)
Reduced Blockchain Bloat - 12 (2%)
Voting - 13 (2.2%)
Scripting Languages - 5 (0.9%)
A large choice of exchanges - 10 (1.7%)
High liquidity - 26 (4.4%)
Privacy / Anonymity - 35 (6%)
A Bitcoin sidechain - 1 (0.2%)
Decentralized Exchange - 21 (3.6%)
In-Wallet Block Explorer - 5 (0.9%)
Smooth Block Reward Halvings - 10 (1.7%)
Demurrage - 1 (0.2%)
Ability to Make Recurring Payments - 7 (1.2%)
Decentralized Markets - 22 (3.7%)
Atomic Transactions - 5 (0.9%)
Automatic Stealth Addresses - 13 (2.2%)
Confidential Transactions - 18 (3.1%)
Ring Signatures - 18 (3.1%)
Telepods - 1 (0.2%)
Masternodes - 6 (1%)
Hireable Employees (a la witnesses in Bitshares) - 4 (0.7%)
Wide Merchant Acceptance - 12 (2%)
Market Pegged Assets (al la BITUSD, BITBTC, BITGOLD, NUBITS, etc.) - 7 (1.2%)
Multi-Signature Addresses (or Account Permission Systems) - 16 (2.7%)
File Storage - 4 (0.7%)
Sharedropped Cryptocurrencies - 1 (0.2%)
Cryptocurrencies Ran by Banks - 1 (0.2%)
Cryptocurrencies Ran by Governments - 1 (0.2%)
TOR/I2P Compatibility - 17 (2.9%)
Decentralized Application Stores/Browsers - 8 (1.4%)
Mobile Wallets - 24 (4.1%)
Solid Developers - 39 (6.6%)
Innovative Features - 23 (3.9%)
Fair Distribution - 36 (6.1%)
Supportive and Productive Community - 32 (5.5%)
Have a Target Market (or fill a niche) - 12 (2%)
Fungibility - 1 (0.2%)
Total Voters: 59

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In order for a cryptocurrency to be successful in 5 years time, it must have...  (Read 3862 times)
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 01:19:31 AM

In my opinion, a successful alternative cryptocurrency is one that has reached the top end of the market cap rankings..
and a shot..
I can go pre-mine a coin then have an ICO and jump to the top of the rank in a heart beat.

I'd like to see you try so I can laugh at your failure. Smiley

and way to clip out the most important part of my quote... and fail to respond to the rest of my post cause reasons.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 01:24:56 AM

Where is the "It has to BE Bitcoin" option?

This poll is supposed to be coin agnostic. Unfortunately, the debate/conversation is no longer coin agnostic but I would like to at least keep the poll that way. I would prefer it stay on topic, by only talking about the options of the poll and which ones are the most important. However, just like every thread on this subforum it has turned into another this coin versus this coin or bitcoin versus alt coins debate. Such a pity.

I did add network effect and Bitcoin-themed options to the poll (wide merchant adoption, high liquidity, many exchanges, etc..) for those people that feel those are the most important things... I don't get why everyone's flipping out on me as if I'm pushing some alt coin or something- I'm not. I am simply trying to figure out what properties are most important, and what truly gives a cryptocurrency value.
sashacoin

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 02:33:26 AM

That's a pretty big list, lol.
But it's true tho, you need to have all this to survive that kind of time.
bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:53:34 AM

i think it is various in the list but probably the fair distribution is for me the key element
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

In my opinion, a successful alternative cryptocurrency is one that has reached the top end of the market cap rankings..
and a shot..
I can go pre-mine a coin then have an ICO and jump to the top of the rank in a heart beat.

and way to clip out the most important part of my quote... and fail to respond to the rest of my post cause reasons.

I snipped your quote to avoid the needless post quoting.
People can click on the previous page and see what you said.

Market Cap Rankings are a farce and i know i am the guy who got the asterisks added to coinmarketcap.com
So spare me the snotty commentary about it son.

I also love how successful has been turned into..
Ohh well... a coin is good now if it has a high CoinMarketCap ranking HAHAHA
..and high as high *chance* of adoption once day.. acording to noob bag holders  Roll Eyes
If THAT is your criteria then your a fool. /end of story

FUD first & ask questions later™
Rias

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 03:13:47 PM

This list in the OP is the exact reason cryptocurrencies are currently going nowhere. If we define success as some case of mass adoption (in consumer or industrial markets), then we have to think about market applicability. The car doesn't need an extra wheel unless there's a demand for one in some segments. Similarly, focusing on purely technology features in cryptocurrencies is misguiding us. Crypto is a product, first of all.

So in order to be successful in 5 years time, a cc should have market focus as well as knowledge of its segments and potential users. Otherwise, it is still but a technological sandbox or a decentralized R&D center if you wish.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 04:57:25 PM

and a shot..

I snipped your quote to avoid the needless post quoting.
People can click on the previous page and see what you said.

Market Cap Rankings are a farce and i know i am the guy who got the asterisks added to coinmarketcap.com
So spare me the snotty commentary about it son.

I also love how successful has been turned into..
Ohh well... a coin is good now if it has a high CoinMarketCap ranking HAHAHA
..and high as high *chance* of adoption once day.. acording to noob bag holders  Roll Eyes
If THAT is your criteria then your a fool. /end of story

How else would we quantify success at this point? Certainly even you can admit some alt coins have been more successful than others. IE. Most of the hundreds of purely pump and dump coins that only tweaked a couple parameters are on their death beds or dying at this point. Compared to the more innovative alts that have garnered  a large market cap, high liquidity, large and active community, good development, etc.

Although I admit Bit coin and every alt coin is yet to truly be a success, there has to be some way to quantify which ones have been more successful than others. That is what I meant by success, but I'm not going to continue debating semantics with you.
c0ffer

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

Gems:Crypto

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2015, 02:56:43 PM

This list in the OP is the exact reason cryptocurrencies are currently going nowhere. If we define success as some case of mass adoption (in consumer or industrial markets), then we have to think about market applicability. The car doesn't need an extra wheel unless there's a demand for one in some segments. Similarly, focusing on purely technology features in cryptocurrencies is misguiding us. Crypto is a product, first of all.

So in order to be successful in 5 years time, a cc should have market focus as well as knowledge of its segments and potential users. Otherwise, it is still but a technological sandbox or a decentralized R&D center if you wish.
These are some excellent points. There are many successful niche products in the World that are completely sustainable businesses.

CryptoCurrency for Gemstones ... Website | Main Thread  -  c0c0 Trading on YoBit
Facultid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 07:03:27 PM

It must have good developers, good community. It is not produced just to scam people. Too many scam coins out there.

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 09:17:43 PM

These are some excellent points. There are many successful niche products in the World that are completely sustainable businesses.

there is no such thing as a "niche currency"

There is how ever gimmick laden digital pyramid scheme tokens.. i think that is what you're referring to Wink

bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 01:00:44 AM

Fast,secure,fair distribution, web wallet or lite wallet, strong community and buyers in the open market, and of course a good Dev
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 02:54:45 AM

Fast,secure,fair distribution, web wallet or lite wallet, strong community and buyers in the open market, and of course a good Dev

Oh yeah ?
Seems that has been done already and it accomplished nothing soooo uuhhhhmmmm ?
Is 5 years going to magically take those existing traits and magically convert it into adoption ?

MAGIC !

CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:17:04 AM

Oh yeah ?
Is 5 years going to magically take those existing traits and magically convert it into adoption ?

MAGIC !

Play nice, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. No one knows "the secret sauce". Everyone thinks they do, and certainly some people probably do know it. However, we won't find out who those people are, or what the "ingredients" to the "secret sauce" are until 5 years from now. Smiley

Everyone seems to have at the very least a slightly different opinion. I am attempting to learn what the most important features are.
CoinHoarder (OP)
Legendary

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:23:28 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2015, 04:43:23 AM by CoinHoarder

I will add "have a target market (or fill a niche)" option. I agree this can be a good thing for a cryptocurrency to have. Kind of like GetGems (target market: messaging/mobile) or BitCrystals (target market: trade-able card game) or Dogecoin (target market: Doge community)... etc... I think having a target market is certainly a plus, but I do not think it is all that matters.
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 06:58:40 AM

Oh yeah ?

MAGIC !

Play nice, there is no right or wrong answer to this question. No one knows "the secret sauce". Everyone thinks they do, and certainly some people probably do know it. However, we won't find out who those people are, or what the "ingredients" to the "secret sauce" are until 5 years from now. Smiley

Everyone seems to have at the very least a slightly different opinion. I am attempting to learn what the most important features are.

Actually there is a right answer and i gave it to you guys on this topic already.
Don't confuse the issue with back peddling with "niche currencies" or other limp wristed gimmicks..
A currency is only defined as such if used large scale.
And the only way to judge that is if it's used by lots of people.

You know most people don't tap dance around playing dumb little games about this issue.
it's not like you need to be a Rocket Doctor.. it's real simple.

What makes a Cryptocurrency to be successful ?
So far we have learned..
that we can change the meaning of successful and currency to suit our sad ass faggy bag holder broken tardlet logic.

Gimme a fuckin' break FODOR's  Roll Eyes

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:18:02 PM

Crypto currency must have a lot of sites, which use it - then it can be successful 5 years or more  Wink And also it must have something unique - like multisignature wallets, very fast transaction time etc. 
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 06:57:55 AM

Nice poll. 

I would also maybe add:
good marketing
smart contracts (I guess that is what you mean by scripting language)
proof of existence
easy APIs
2FA

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:10:37 AM

Nice poll. 

I would also maybe add:
good marketing
proof of existence
easy APIs
2FA

Bitcoin is 4,000 times more successful than any shit coin.
SO..
It did not have any of those things YOU ALL keep posting.
so....

benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 07:20:48 AM

Nice poll.  

I would also maybe add:
good marketing
proof of existence
easy APIs
2FA

what about all these crap smart ledger, simple remote control, smart scam etc ect? no more than just useless scam ideas

bitcoin is already perfect as currency/money/cash

if people want all these useless craps they would build around bitcoin and use bitcoin as currency. it dont need to have endles scam coins to achieved any real honest project to better bitcoin cryptocurrency

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:44:30 AM

@benthach
Solid Point !

And the OP said 5 years.. so many of these features could put into BTC in that time frame.
Mean while Altcoins will come and go pumped and dumped by large groups (as ALWAYS)

People are quick to forget around here that the outcome never changes.

A coin comes out it may have some unique or redeemable qualities..
It may have a good dev(s) it may have and i hate saying this it sickens me but "community" (AKA: Greed-Crowd)
BUT
You guys are forgetting one thing !
ALL
..of these so called coins are ruled by the richer guys as soon as they are put on Exchanges (if not sooner)
They -NEED- to target a coin that has a user base of gullible morons who think Monero etc is teh future'z 111
They will then manipulate the markets decimating the value causing a lot of loser noobs with massive losses.
This can be done easily when you have lots of money = Lots of money equals you make the rules.
In other words an uneven playing field..
What will work best too is to co-op a stupid naive dev into coding.
Throw him some peanuts on the side and pushing along to keep working on it..
So the manipulators can continually prop up and collapse the coin ..over & over ..for large profits.
Best of all we have devs who are naive and gullible and seem to play dumb that their coin is manipulated on Exchanges.
And they seem to think their coin will not suffer the same fate as 100% of every other previous coin ever made.
And the Cheerleader brigade too is exploited.. they can prance around the web doing free advertising etc
hyping up shit coins so rich guys can kill it dead.. like gullible naive patsies.

Nothing ever changes.
All we here is "one day" ..and WHY ?
There is never an answer.. just because. LOL

You guys here are 90% gullible naive little suckers exploited and used as patsies by the rich.
BLIND and oblivious to guys like Risto + Monero turning you out like a pimp.
And your Exchanges like Poloniex's etc couldn't care less as long as they get a slice..

The more time goes on the more what i said is proven (scammer webs exposed)
Which leads to less people involved.. while mod's on Poloniex lie to me and ban me for saying Crypto is shrinking.
Never upset their gullible victims they farm and groom.

Insanity is defined as what smart guys ?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: