Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2024, 04:33:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create second wallet under the same OS  (Read 661 times)
Staring Owl (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 08:43:12 PM

I want to have one wallet for day to day use and one wallet for savings.
Is there a way to have 2 wallets under the same OS and swap them in the client?

Do you just use the built in wallet encryption or use outside program like tryecrypt to encrypt it again?

Grin SLOT machine with generous payouts and affiliate program. BTC No registration needed BTC Start playing for real within seconds BTC Provably fair and transparent BTC You can win up to 5000 times your bet BTC Or make 30% by referring friends. ->  BitBandit.eu
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4798

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:00:58 PM

Is there a way to have 2 wallets under the same OS and swap them in the client?
There is no way to swap them in the client.  You could shut down the client, swap the files by hand, and then start the client back up.  If you do that, be VERY careful that you don't accidentally delete, overwrite, or otherwise lose one of the wallets.

Do you just use the built in wallet encryption or use outside program like tryecrypt to encrypt it again?
I just use the built in encryption.  That is good enough if the only thing you are trying to protect is your private keys.  If you are trying to protect your privacy as well, you may want to consider additional encryption.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:11:22 PM

Use MultiBit, problem solved.

The standard client allow you to switch wallet only if you close the client, manually swap the wallet.dat file and start it again...

Staring Owl (OP)

Activity: 90

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:31:12 PM

I see, thank you guys.

To create a second wallet do i just close the client, move the wallet.dat from the default location and start the client again?
I'm getting new set of 10 private keys unrelated to the previous ones, right?

Grin SLOT machine with generous payouts and affiliate program. BTC No registration needed BTC Start playing for real within seconds BTC Provably fair and transparent BTC You can win up to 5000 times your bet BTC Or make 30% by referring friends. ->  BitBandit.eu
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 09:36:45 PM

Yeah.

Note that a single wallet.dat file can have tons of different private keys

Sonica

Activity: 121