Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:29:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Send bitcoins into the future! (LBAAT.net)  (Read 9097 times)
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 09:21:19 AM

Would my above-proposed method of using multiple LBAAT-like services work (encrypt the message using the "product" (?) of n public keys from n independant services and then everyone would be able to decrypt it once the n secret keys are revealed) or am I misunderstanding something?

It would work assuming other time keeping services existed, sure. Assuming the encryption step itself was done offline to keep things safe, that  would be a good solution although there's an extra step that happens behind the scenes at lbaat, and that is timestamping and checksumming (sort of) the plain message before encrypting, to prevent attacks where someone provides garbled text stating it is an lbaat encrypted message, or simply provide the wrong timestamp for decryption. With your multiple services approach that part is lost, though it might not be important for whatever use case you are considering, of course.
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:02:22 AM

There is a bot grabbing secrets every hour, on the hour. We feel proud someone took the time to actually do it Smiley

Now, just a small detail about how the timepoints are created; the hour part needs to have 2 digits, so have a 0 (zero) prepended if < 10. Meaning '20121206:9' needs to become '20121206:09'. Added some text to "how to use" to make it clear.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:23:26 AM

td;du

(too dumb; didnt understand)
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:30:03 AM

td;du

(too dumb; didnt understand)

Which means the message is not of importance to you Smiley But in case you are planning on making use of the JSON API all I meant was someone has a script that grabs secrets as they become available, using a call like https://lbaat.net/getSecret.json?timepoint=20121206:9 and if you try that you'll see the response does not have any real data. To get the data from that timepoint you need to prepend a zero to the hour part (digits after colon) to make it 2 digit long, so https://lbaat.net/getSecret.json?timepoint=20121206:09 will work as expected.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:04:32 AM

I still don't understand this gmae...  but how long will TAABL be down? I seriously miss it - any eta? Wish I knew how to place tehe bitcoin future game..

BTC Long.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:32:21 AM

There is a bot grabbing secrets every hour, on the hour. We feel proud someone took the time to actually do it Smiley

Now, just a small detail about how the timepoints are created; the hour part needs to have 2 digits, so have a 0 (zero) prepended if < 10. Meaning '20121206:9' needs to become '20121206:09'. Added some text to "how to use" to make it clear.

you might want to parse that a little more robustly.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:10:51 AM

you might want to parse that a little more robustly.

I can, and I would but this is always a question of code complexity vs security&performance. It is much easier to introduce an exploitable bug when we start catering for special cases in public APIs, but you know that for sure.

Of course this is a simple example, but I try to keep that as a rule of thumb for all machine interfaces. Humans tend to guess and be inventive, machines just do what they're told to do.
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:21:13 AM

I still don't understand this gmae...  but how long will TAABL be down? I seriously miss it - any eta? Wish I knew how to place tehe bitcoin future game..

This (LBAAT) is not a game, rather a service. As for TAABL (and DiceOnCrack, and LBAAT) being down, I woke to find it not running due to improper startup after the server got rebooted. I'm finding out why the server got rebooted and also why the services didn't all come up correctly after the system was back up, but for now all is running again!
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:53:58 AM

This (LBAAT) is not a game, rather a service. As for TAABL (and DiceOnCrack, and LBAAT) being down, I woke to find it not running due to improper startup after the server got rebooted. I'm finding out why the server got rebooted and also why the services didn't all come up correctly after the system was back up, but for now all is running again!
Just for your reference, TAABL.net does not and has not worked since I posted my last post in this thread. Even now.

BTC Long.
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 12:14:20 PM

Just for your reference, TAABL.net does not and has not worked since I posted my last post in this thread. Even now.

What are you getting? It was down before, but it has been working fine for me since I started things properly, and it is most certainly working for me now.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 12:28:45 PM

What are you getting? It was down before, but it has been working fine for me since I started things properly, and it is most certainly working for me now.

lbaat.net works for me

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
BitCoiner2012

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 06:41:26 PM

Wouldn't work for about 6 hours solid past when I posted that from any computer here, but works now. Apologies, still don't know the "why" of it.

How is Bitcoin in to the future a service?

BTC Long.
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 07:00:35 PM

Wouldn't work for about 6 hours solid past when I posted that from any computer here, but works now. Apologies, still don't know the "why" of it.

How is Bitcoin in to the future a service?

If it happens again, feel free to PM me which will send an email.

As for LBAAT, it is not a game as I stated although TTBit did advertise a game using the service.

What you can do with it is create a bitcoin address that you'll only be able to get coins from in the future. Say you want to send coins to your brother for his next anniversary, and lets pretend that's next November. You can send the coins to him right now by using a private/public key pair that you know and a timepoint in November.

- Using the timepoint and the public key you create a bitcoin address on lbaat.net, and fund that address with as many coins as you wish to give you brother.
- You give the address, the timepoint and your private key to your brother. He can see the address but can't yet get to the coins.
- Come November your brother uses the private key and the timepoint secret (which is only disclosed after timepoint is reached) to calculate the address private key and get the coins.

The game TTBit created here lets you have the private key and timepoint for a bunch of future addresses, first one to get the timepoint secret and calculate the private key can redeem the coins.
jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 11:19:39 PM

Can anyone think of a process in nature that is regular with time but somehow predictable to achieve something like this?

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:27:15 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2012, 04:43:31 AM by FreeMoney

So... n-lock is no good for this, but couldn't a script be set up that requires part of the hash of a valid future block to redeem an input? I mean theoretically, that sort of non-standard ability is off for virtually all miners right no I'm pretty sure.

edit: I'm not actually very familiar with this, can you reference data from a (future in particular) block in a script?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 08:21:43 AM

Can anyone think of a process in nature that is regular with time but somehow predictable to achieve something like this?

Astronomic phenomena mostly. Star and satellite rises and sets, eclipses, stuff like that.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:51:44 PM

This is such an awesome idea!! Seriously it is really, really, really cool very nice work and much respect Grin
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 07:45:58 PM

I want to turn all my money into bitcoins and send them to my future self. While I'm broke, I'll take comfort in the fact that I won't be in the future!

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:36:38 PM

I want to turn all my money into bitcoins and send them to my future self. While I'm broke, I'll take comfort in the fact that I won't be in the future!

Feature request: Could you please implement sending Euros into the past?

mskwik

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:57:22 PM

Oops, off by one (<9 instead of <=9 to append the 0).  If anyone is interested here is the code, it just grabs the latest secret as needed and calculates others.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Math::BigInt;use Date::Calc qw(:all);use Digest::SHA;
$year=shift(@ARGV);$mon=shift(@ARGV);$day=shift(@ARGV);$hour=shift(@ARGV);
$file="/home/mskwik/lbaat.secret";

($d,$h,$m,$s)=Delta_DHMS(2000,1,1,0,0,0,$year,$mon,$day,$hour,0,0);$h+=$d*24;

($at,$bsec)=readpipe("cat $file");chomp($at);chomp($bsec);
if($h>$at){
  ($s,$m,$hh,$dd,$mm,$yy,@x)=gmtime();$yy+=1900;$mm++;
  ($ddd,$hhh,$mmm,$sss)=Delta_DHMS(2000,1,1,0,0,0,$yy,$mm,$dd,$hh,0,0);$hhh+=$ddd*24;
  if($mm<=9){$mm="0".$mm;}if($dd<=9){$dd="0".$dd;}if($hh<=9){$hh="0".$hh;}
  $tp=$yy.$mm.$dd.':'.$hh;
  $data=readpipe("curl -k -L -m 20 -s \"https://lbaat.net/getSecret.json?timepoint=$tp\"");
  $_=$data;s/[\r\n\t" ]//ig;
  if(/priv:([0-9a-f]*)}/ig){$bsec=$1;$at=$hhh;
    open(OUT, ">$file");print OUT "$at\n$bsec\n";close(OUT);
  }
}
while($at>$h){
  $bsec=Digest::SHA::sha256_hex($bsec);$at--;
}if($h==$at){print $bsec."\n";}

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: