Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:28:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebay Scammer  (Read 1814 times)
ECore (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 06:23:26 PM

So a few months ago, as a newb, I got scammed out of around 50 bitcoins on ebay.

All my transactions got chargebacks.

So today I decided to check out the bitcoin addresses on blockchain.

Here they are:  1znvdxd66EJWpT1GAigzzRAvM5HiGbxY9  ,  1Fpi49KiYdmUA5ohA4pFfwdxgiC4GCYAAu ,  1AxbxXY4bX58vkWPj46mNHt3wJtuBCneyi 

The second address has had 1,450.03001817 BTC pass through it, and the last address has had 2,036.36572088 BTC  pass through it.

Now that's a lot of money......

One thing that I noticed about the ebay scam is that the scammer used the first initial and the last name of the paypal account holders name in their paypal email address in both instances - I believe both ebay accounts (I got scammed by two different ebay accounts) were hijacked by the same person.

One went by the name dianeradin, and the other terridans.

Not that this will help anyone find who did it, but just to let you know that I got no help from paypal even though I sold the bitcoins with a tangible item and a delivery confirmation number - they took all my money.

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 06:25:19 PM

Lesson to everyone reading this: NEVER sell Bitcoins for PayPal, it never ever goes well.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 08:52:25 PM

Not that this will help anyone find who did it, but just to let you know that I got no help from paypal even though I sold the bitcoins with a tangible item and a delivery confirmation number

I'm just curious about the details here.  So the recipient had to redeem the funds?  (.e.g, Mt. Gox redeemable code, or private key, or Instawallet URL) that was delivered, or did you send the coins some other method?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 09:01:48 PM

fight the charge backs.

probably not a hacked account just some scummy fuck screwing people

post all his details.

emails
ebay name
real name
any other identifying info.
ECore (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 10:16:30 PM

fight the charge backs.

probably not a hacked account just some scummy fuck screwing people

post all his details.

emails
ebay name
real name
any other identifying info.

The information is still all the same for their paypal accounts, and that's fishy.  If someone stole all my accounts, everything would be shut down and changed.

Here they are:

Thomas Shepard
2658 Grandin Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45208-3404
United States
shepardthomas@hotmail.com
Buyer's ID: terridansi

Betty Hodgson
2625 Heston Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451-1705
United States
Buyer's ID: dianeradin

A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 11:10:29 PM

This account is unverified

Thomas Shepard
UNVERIFIED PERSONAL
59HEVXZHX6R9C
ECore (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 12:55:41 AM

This account is unverified

Thomas Shepard
UNVERIFIED PERSONAL
59HEVXZHX6R9C

It had been verified previously.

Also unverified is the other account that I forgot to put an email:

Betty Hodgson
2625 Heston Rd
Virginia Beach, VA 23451-1705
United States
Buyer's ID: dianeradin
bettyhodlol@live.com

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 01:03:02 AM

fight the charge backs.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this with Paypal? Everything I've heard says as soon as you say you are selling bitcoins, Paypal becomes uncooperative.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:07:07 AM

depends what the terms of the deal are.  If you are selling "private keys"  and you could prove they "downloaded' them.

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 04:41:58 AM

I'm betting that this isn't the case here, but it's an interesting point. I'm not really familiar with how to phrase things to make sales like this feasible.
J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 02:00:34 AM

What if you tried selling something like Paper bitcoin wallet with 10BTC in it, and then physically deliver only to the verified address?

Most of these scams seems to be based on stolen accounts, they may have access the the users ebay, paypal and even email accounts but not the physical address.

Plus you can use a delivery confirmation to defend against chargebacks.

Really paypal will not protect you at all for selling digital goods(ie world of warcraft gold), but they will protect you for selling pre-paid game cards(ie a physical card that entitles you to world of warcraft gold).
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 02:39:35 AM

What if you tried selling something like Paper bitcoin wallet with 10BTC in it, and then physically deliver only to the verified address?

Most of these scams seems to be based on stolen accounts, they may have access the the users ebay, paypal and even email accounts but not the physical address.

Plus you can use a delivery confirmation to defend against chargebacks.

Really paypal will not protect you at all for selling digital goods(ie world of warcraft gold), but they will protect you for selling pre-paid game cards(ie a physical card that entitles you to world of warcraft gold).

This would protect you against stolen accounts.  It would not protect you against dishonest buyers.  I am not sure the percentage, but dishonest buyers are at least 30% of the chargebacks. 

It also would not protect you against a paypal shutdown, which happens when they get 'suspicious' and they close the account.  They often hold funds for 180 days giving anyone the opportunity to charge/dispute back during that time. 

The rule that I used for paypal sales was simple, I would sell to people who I had met in person before.  None of them scammed me. 

BigFigurez

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2013, 11:55:17 AM

Before you sell someone BTC for Paypal on Ebay or forums, you should follow these steps

- Get the buyer to email you from there Paypal email address, stating all the trade details (make an order form and email it to them to fill out)
- If you can, get an ID (this basically guarantees no CB'd combined with the above)
- Screenshot all conversation (if it's on forum have them PM you their Paypal addres + have them attach a note to the PP payment with their Screen name)
- Have them include BTC addresses etc. and make sure to state your BTC address

- If they chargeback, upload pictures of everything + the transaction of the BTC on said address to Paypal's resolution center
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2013, 03:28:27 PM

Note that you can still ship stuff within 7 days of the purchase (doesn't help in this case as it's a month old)

So for example you sell someone some bitcoins for Paypal.  After 3 days you get a chargeback, as long as you stick an empty envelope with a tracking number in the mail to their physically address within 7 days of the purchase you can still use the tracking number to dispute the chargeback.

If you have a US Paypal account and they also had a US address you should win.  I used to do it all the time when I was selling counter-strike CD Keys, used to win every time.

If I was selling bitcoins via Paypal I'd mail the private keys to the customer.  Or better yet just mail them a note saying "You passed the test, email me with this code to get your bitcoins".

As others have said Paypal are really quick to shut your account down, I'd go with someone like 2Checkout as they are not so quick on the trigger and you can still accept Paypal via 2CO.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2013, 10:20:22 PM

So for example you sell someone some bitcoins for Paypal.  After 3 days you get a chargeback, as long as you stick an empty envelope with a tracking number in the mail to their physically address within 7 days of the purchase you can still use the tracking number to dispute the chargeback.

If you have a US Paypal account and they also had a US address you should win.  I used to do it all the time when I was selling counter-strike CD Keys, used to win every time.

That is really bad advice and stupid to admit publicly.  You are committing mail fraud and in most of the bitcoin cases the scammer is not the real owner of the ebay account.  So the other scammed party (the ebay account holder) will get an empty envelope and potentially report YOU for it.  Doing it once or twice you may get away with it, but if you 'do it all the time' and several people report to the postmaster that you sent them empty envelopes you are going to feel some pain. 

If you sell bitcoins on ebay you are going to get hurt.  Maybe not all the time but enough to make it not profitable.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: