Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:03:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Legality Of Shutting Down Illegal Sites In The UK?  (Read 479 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 08:58:42 PM

I am currently in England. Is it illegal to shut down servers/sites that host illegal sale of products on both the lite web and the deep/dark web? Or is it still a crime to hack these sites?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mr. Forum

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:31:52 AM

I do not come fro UK but i think it is against the law to run services that are prohibited. I remember a month ago, the was a heavy crackdown in our country on the fake and illegal websites. With the ongoing inventions in the world of computing and technology, there comes challenges that deal with crime. They need to be taken care of to avoid a situation where internet is bringing more arm than good to the citizens. It is a good move for the UK government.
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:06:09 PM

I am currently in England. Is it illegal to shut down servers/sites that host illegal sale of products on both the lite web and the deep/dark web? Or is it still a crime to hack these sites?

If you do it (supposing you are not a UK government employee), it's illegal and potential "terrorism" under the The Terrorism Act 2000
Under the Terrorism Act not all hacking will be considered to be terrorism. Accordingly the use or threat of an action designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system will be a terrorist action only if both of the following conditions are satisfied:

• It is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public
  • It is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause

Illegal sale of product websites are probably outside of the terrorism act 2000, but hacking is still illegal for UK citizens.

If the UK government does it, its legal (2015):  "The UK government has quietly passed new legislation that exempts GCHQ, police, and other intelligence officers from prosecution for hacking into computers ".

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Relex

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 02:12:59 PM

It's illegal in all country's right?
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:32:18 PM

If you do it (supposing you are not a UK government employee), it's illegal and potential "terrorism" under the The Terrorism Act 2000
Under the Terrorism Act not all hacking will be considered to be terrorism. Accordingly the use or threat of an action designed seriously to interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system will be a terrorist action only if both of the following conditions are satisfied:

• It is designed to influence the government or to intimidate the public or a section of the public
  • It is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause

Illegal sale of product websites are probably outside of the terrorism act 2000, but hacking is still illegal for UK citizens.

If the UK government does it, its legal (2015):  "The UK government has quietly passed new legislation that exempts GCHQ, police, and other intelligence officers from prosecution for hacking into computers ".

So, if someone were to know of a member of the police or a law enforcement team. It would be legal. But for me to take down a site, even if its contents are illegal, is a crime? So I should report a site to the corresponding team/group to take it down instead?

That means: it is illegal for me to prevent illegal activities? It is also illegal for me to prevent people from being scammed? As I will be a suspected terrorist? And face the multi-decade sentence from this? That doesn't really seem a good idea!
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 07:36:21 PM

So, if someone were to know of a member of the police or a law enforcement team. It would be legal. But for me to take down a site, even if its contents are illegal, is a crime? So I should report a site to the corresponding team/group to take it down instead?

That means: it is illegal for me to prevent illegal activities? It is also illegal for me to prevent people from being scammed? As I will be a suspected terrorist? And face the multi-decade sentence from this? That doesn't really seem a good idea!

No, you have to be a member of the police of law enforcement team. The UK has the Computer Misuse Act. It has these rules:
  • unauthorised access to computer material, punishable by 12 months' imprisonment (or 6 months in Scotland) and/or a fine "not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale
  • unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences, punishable by 12 months/maximum fine (or 6 months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or 5 years/fine on indictment;
  • unauthorised modification of computer material, punishable by 12 months/maximum fine (or 6 months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or 10 years/fine on indictment;

It's illegal to access any computer unauthorised, but I doubt an illegal site owner gonna sue you.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 08:39:44 PM

No, you have to be a member of the police of law enforcement team. The UK has the Computer Misuse Act. It has these rules:
  • unauthorised access to computer material, punishable by 12 months' imprisonment (or 6 months in Scotland) and/or a fine "not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale
  • unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences, punishable by 12 months/maximum fine (or 6 months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or 5 years/fine on indictment;
  • unauthorised modification of computer material, punishable by 12 months/maximum fine (or 6 months in Scotland) on summary conviction and/or 10 years/fine on indictment;

It's illegal to access any computer unauthorised, but I doubt an illegal site owner gonna sue you.

So... Moral of the story, move to Scotland. They also have almost a quater of the political control of the UK through 50 seats out of more than 200 seats! And they continue, even through promise that they won't, to vote on laws that only affect England or England and Wales!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: