Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 08:06:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 BTC 4 U 2 STEAL - Protected by a weak 5-letter password - crack & it's yours!  (Read 20117 times)
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 03:27:50 AM

Got so excited. False positive Sad lol

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
thirdchance57

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:30:56 AM

i wish i could crack it but i'm just a noob.

awesome work creating the bank note generator

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 03:40:53 AM

K... I think there may be a weakness!!!!, if I understand the code correctly...

HC

If you find one, please share!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
HotDiggityDawg

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:41:20 AM

I thought I cracked it, and then I realized I hit the "Generate" key on accident lmao.

I'm a total noob with no hope of getting this but it's been fun trying! And obviously I'll continue trying Wink Thanks casascius.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:36:12 AM

My 6 character private keys seem secure enough

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:52:03 AM

hmm, where do I go to write the loops? This is my first application of programming outside school.
Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:03:44 AM

You'll need to make the loop conditional on the input of the text field. But you will have to incorporate the checking functions and have the value change after a negative test and adjust the text field there after.

Try Form1.cs

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:14:54 AM

I give up Smiley
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 05:26:02 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2012, 05:42:44 AM by bitfreak!

Well assuming the password is a word in the dictionary, there are something like 10,000 words which are 5 letters long (that's a very rough guess based on the fact most dictionaries have around 200,000 words).

Some brief testing with the address utility software indicates that it takes about 3.5 seconds to decrypt the private key using my Phenom II X4 810 (also a very rough estimate using only the GUI).

Assuming my calculations so far are remotely correct, to test 10,000 pass phrases when each test takes about 3.5 seconds, will take at least 9 hours. Of course the pass should be found before trying all 10,000.

If the password is a 5 letter English word, it would probably be possible to crack the key using a list of the 5,000 most common 5 letter words or even less. However, the words should be tested in all caps also, so we're back to 10,000.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:33:03 AM

I'd like to give it a shot, but have no experience brute forcing a key.  Is there any particular program I could download to try, or is it something I would have to write myself?

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 05:34:17 AM

I not going to do this myself, but I will submit one password guess. The first person to try it and it works, please split the bounty with me. Here is my guess: Bruno.

~Bruno K~
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:35:55 AM

I not going to do this myself, but I will submit one password guess. The first person to try it and it works, please split the bounty with me. Here is my guess: Bruno.

~Bruno K~

Sorry no dice.   Embarrassed

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Elxiliath

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:59:31 AM

lol, nice.  This is getting more interesting the more I drink.  Haha.  I'm sitting here trying to code in a virtual machine I installed just for this.  I don't think I will guess this or get it, but it's fun and would be nice.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:07:01 AM

well, i wasted some time on the problem

can't find a C++ version of the SCrypt, so i gave up   Undecided

BTW the password is not  "MikeC"  Tongue

Elxiliath

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:09:51 AM

The coding process is pretty straight forward, it should be easy to compile your own app with both the code or decode process and attempt it. 

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 06:10:22 AM

hmm, where do I go to write the loops? This is my first application of programming outside school.

There's no point in writing the loop in C#, as someone already pointed out, using C#, it would take 36 years to crack. You have to rewrite the entire decryption algorithm, in another language, that has a fast scrypt implementation. But if you want to try, the loop should be written in btnPrivWIFToHex_Click method, which is in Form1.cs

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:10:56 AM

Here are some good 5-letter word lists for those who want to take the dictionary approach.

8938 5-letter words:
http://www.poslarchive.com/math/scrabble/lists/common-5.html

5757 5-letter words:
http://homepage.cs.uiowa.edu/~sriram/21/fall07/words.dat

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:17:53 AM

K... I think there may be a weakness!!!!, if I understand the code correctly...

HC

If you find one, please share!

Well I'd started and my F***** RAID just crashed.

So I may as well share it.... if I understand it correctly.......

It seems that it may have a similar weakness to the zip format.. if I'm not mistaken.

public override bool DecryptWithPassphrase(string passphrase){
.....}

If we look down we see:

byte[] checksum = sha256.ComputeHash(utf8.GetBytes(passphrase + "?"));

if (hex[2] != 0x80) {
                if ((checksum[0] & 0x7f) != hex[2] || (checksum[1] & 0x7e) != (hex[3] & 0x7e)) {
                    return false;
                }
            }

It seems we can recover a partial solution, because if it is NOT a partial solution the above will fail.

By getting the products up-to this stage, popping them over the serial port to an fpga...... and since Bitcoin is DOUBLE sh256
We can get two engines cycling thrugh the Sha256 keys for the range AAAAA-zzzzz ( actually by splitting the space over two devices we can half the searchtime with a brute it becomes 190102016

Each time we get a 'hit' from the above, we pop it back to the computer to drop it into the code that follows the above code in  "DecryptWithPassphrase"

so even with a XUPV5 I can get over 500MHS through the key address space

52*52*52*52*52=380204032

0.76 seconds  Unless my maths have broken down.

Like I say my development env. crashed so I've nothing to test with.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:21:29 AM

There's no point in writing the loop in C#, as someone already pointed out, using C#, it would take 36 years to crack. You have to rewrite the entire decryption algorithm, in another language, that has a fast scrypt implementation. But if you want to try, the loop should be written in btnPrivWIFToHex_Click method, which is in Form1.cs

I have a funny feeling scrypt will be slow no matter what the language

The algorithm was specifically designed to make it costly to perform large scale custom hardware attacks by requiring large amounts of memory

good luck

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:36:30 AM

I just read this:
On modern hardware and with default parameters, the cost of cracking the password on a file encrypted by scrypt enc is approximately 100 billion times more than the cost of cracking the same password on a file encrypted by openssl enc; this means that a five-character password using scrypt is stronger than a ten-character password using openssl.

https://www.tarsnap.com/scrypt.html
There's no way anyone is going to crack this via simple brute force. A dictionary attack is the only plausible option. If the password is a random jumble of lowercase and uppercase characters, I doubt anyone will crack it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: