Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:13:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iraqi Forces Advance in Campaign to Retake Ramadi From ISIS  (Read 488 times)
vero (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 10:43:38 PM

BAGHDAD — More than six months after falling to the Islamic State, the city center of Ramadi is under siege by Iraqi security forces and tribal fighters backed by American air power. Commanders say that as few as 300 militants remain holed up inside, behind a defense of elaborate tunnels, booby-trapped buildings and roads laced with hidden bombs.

As Iraqi soldiers and tribal fighters have advanced on the city, clearing the outlying neighborhoods in preparation for what is expected to be a grueling and bloody fight for the center, they have discovered the things left behind by the Islamic State: lists of former government workers who repented to save their lives, and lists of others believed to have been executed; marriage certificates stamped by an Islamic State court; the bodies of militants.

Civilians, raising white flags to approaching soldiers, have raced to safety under a hail of gunfire by Islamic State fighters who sought to use them as human shields. Others have had to pay hefty bribes to fighters to be allowed to leave.

“The condition of families under the control of ISIS is tragic,” Abu Hussein, who escaped recently, said, using an acronym for the Islamic State. “They do not let people out, and food and medication is running low because of the siege on all exits of the city.”

After months of false starts and unfulfilled promises of quick gains by Iraqi and American leaders, the campaign for Ramadi — the capital of Anbar, a vast Sunni-dominated region in western Iraq — has finally yielded some success. Iraqi security forces and Sunni tribal fighters trained and equipped by the United States have in recent days taken Ramadi’s largest neighborhood and captured the building that was the headquarters of the Anbar Operations Command, and they are bearing down on the city’s center.

“A number of areas have been liberated, and we are seeing great victories on the ground, and the security forces have fully surrounded the city,” said Sheikh Sufyan al-Ethawi, a tribal leader in Anbar.

What remains is a tough, urban battle for Ramadi, which fell to the Islamic State in May, and some officials say it could be weeks before the city is finally liberated from the Islamic State, also known as ISIL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/world/middleeast/iraqi-campaign-to-retake-ramadi-from-isis-makes-gains.html?ref=world&_r=0

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:13:30 AM

The ISIS barbarians are surrounded from all the four sides. If the civilians were not there, then I'd have advocated blasting the entire place with Napalm or White Phosphorus. The Shiite militia must make sure that not a single Jihadi escapes from Ramadi alive. Don't take any captives. Just shoot them and then burn their bodies or throw the corpses into the sewage. 
lama-hunter

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2015, 06:17:55 AM

The War over the Black Oil is so obvious. Everybody does like hes the Good Guy now.
They just wont let them people gonne live there life because of this.

I think the world has become to an new Point of illness. And the Cure will be the Dead of several Generations.
America - I personally think is the Reason for all this. And i really believe the Russians are the good guys trying to help the People over in Syria.

regards
lama-hunter
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 05:06:59 AM

The ISIS barbarians are surrounded from all the four sides. If the civilians were not there, then I'd have advocated blasting the entire place with Napalm or White Phosphorus. The Shiite militia must make sure that not a single Jihadi escapes from Ramadi alive. Don't take any captives. Just shoot them and then burn their bodies or throw the corpses into the sewage. 
Something like the Nurenburg trials seems warranted for ISIS.  For every single last one of them.

Let that play on the media for five years.   
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 14, 2015, 10:20:36 AM

Something like the Nurenburg trials seems warranted for ISIS.  For every single last one of them.

Let that play on the media for five years.   

That's not good enough. The liberals and leftists will be happy to save as much of these blokes as they can or give them some ridiculous prison sentences, so in a few years they would be back and in the meantime other terrorists would kidnap/kill people to free these guys. To get rid of them once and for all maybe not that nice and civilised, but much more effective. Here in the west we kept playing this "be PC, nice and civilised" game way too long.
zenitzz

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 01:23:04 AM

This still makes no sense. I understand that Ramadi is the Capital of the Anbar Province, but aside from that, any 6 year old looking at a map can see that Ramadi is roughly 100 miles west of Baghdad. Between Baghdad and Ramadi is the City of Fallujah. To the west of Ramadi is Syria.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 02:14:11 AM

I don't want this to be settled in court. Just use white phosphorus to incinerate them. I have lost my faith in the International Criminal Court (ICC), after the Rwanda genocide. The genocide perpetrators are enjoying 5-star accommodation with all the facilities in Hague, while the women who got infected with HIV as a result of being raped by these monsters are suffering from AIDS.
vero (OP)

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 06:50:58 AM

ISIS always destroys everything. When was the last time they built schools, universities, labs, orphanages, infrastructure. Heck, if it was not for Wahhabi funding and a useless Iraqi army, they will not even have weapons to fight, not even capable of building them.

bitsmichel

Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 06:53:57 AM

ISIS always destroys everything. When was the last time they built schools, universities, labs, orphanages, infrastructure. Heck, if it was not for Wahhabi funding and a useless Iraqi army, they will not even have weapons to fight, not even capable of building them.
ISIS are imbeciles, they cannot build things.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: