Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:39:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Currencies Like Bitcoin?  (Read 1174 times)
Jaylez (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 10:41:56 PM

So I hear about these other currencies like litecoin and namecoin but what are they and why? What's wrong with bitcoins? Should I care about these other currencies? Should I mine them? I've looked around for a while and I can't find anything that really explains it or tries to sell me the idea of that it's good and I should care so maybe you guys could help. Thanks in advance.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:44:07 PM

Namecoin is a decentralized DNS system.

Litecoin use another mining algorythm

JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 10:52:33 PM

There are several variations of bitcoin. The variations seek to improve on perceived deficiencies. Bitcoin is the original and will probably always dominate. Litecoin is probably the most popular variation. It has a faster confirmation time (2.5 minutes compared to 10 minutes).

Keep in mind that although they are related, they are still separate currencies, just like dollars and euros.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
Jaylez (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:00:26 PM

Is mining them worth it or should I stick to just bitcoin?
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:11:44 PM

namecoin can be mined alongside bitcoin, do both at once Smiley
Sadly the namecoin project development has been pretty slow.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Jaylez (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:21:03 PM

Cool, thanks guys I'm trying merged mining. Is mining litecoin worth it?
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:21:56 PM

Cool, thanks guys I'm trying merged mining. Is mining litecoin worth it?
This is a pretty good resource about litecoin: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Litecoin

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2012, 11:53:47 PM

Best bet is merged mining bitcoins with the gpu while cpu mining for litecoin.
Yet there is no service base for linecoin. What can I actually buy with litecoin? It is essentially worthless at this point in time.

JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:14:13 AM

Yet there is no service base for linecoin. What can I actually buy with litecoin? It is essentially worthless at this point in time.

The same thing was said about bitcoin 2 years ago.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:57:03 PM

The same thing was said about bitcoin 2 years ago.
Fair point, but again what can I do with litecoin that I can't do with Bitcoin. Litecoin just seems like a a copy of bitcoin with only a slight improvement in the technology. If there really was a secondary currency to Bitcoin I think it would have to be a bit different in structure to warrant being a "sliver to bitcoin's gold." This is all speculation and my opinion.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: