Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:42:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to help  (Read 1510 times)
czekczek (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:40:07 AM

I read this: "Average people can help simply by running a full node that accepts incoming connections from the Internet.  Just download the client and run it, 24/7 -- ideally with an empty wallet for maximum security." by jgarzik

In work I've got a full access to many dedicated servers - a lot of cpu power and  all the bandwidth one can eat. I'd like to help by running those full nodes. On Mon I will compile and install bitcoind at those machines. Now I'd like someone to provide me a correct parameter list that I can run bitcoind with. I will not have time to figure it out it myself (especially things like -blocknotify=<cmd>)). I also rather use parameter list over config file; in case I've got to change jobs and get rid of my illicit doings quickly.

My servers are standard debian setup with outside IP address on eth0 interface.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 01:43:29 AM

I don't imagine you should need anything on the command line, as by default, it will start up, acquire data from the p2p network, and start being a node.

If you're running multiple nodes with lots of bandwidth between them, you ought to bootstrap them by letting 1 node download the blockchain from the internet (a few gigs) and let the other nodes download it from that node, and you'll save lots of inbound bandwidth from the internet.  Simply -connect=xx.xx.xx.xx to specify where the node should connect.

Once up to speed, let it connect to the internet, and importantly, make sure it accepts inbound connections (an otherwise depletable resource on the p2p network).

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:53:36 AM

Servers are in separate data centers so connecting to a last node won't speed things up. If I understood you correctly all I need to do is simply run ./bitcoind with no parameters and that should be enough to help the network, is that right? I believe bitcoind doesn't require root privileges?
Jaylez

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:16:12 AM

I don't think this is really necessary. I mean, tons of people already run the client. What you should do is mine with all that equipment.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:27:49 AM

I read this: "Average people can help simply by running a full node that accepts incoming connections from the Internet.  Just download the client and run it, 24/7 -- ideally with an empty wallet for maximum security." by jgarzik

In work I've got a full access to many dedicated servers - a lot of cpu power and  all the bandwidth one can eat. I'd like to help by running those full nodes. On Mon I will compile and install bitcoind at those machines. Now I'd like someone to provide me a correct parameter list that I can run bitcoind with. I will not have time to figure it out it myself (especially things like -blocknotify=<cmd>)). I also rather use parameter list over config file; in case I've got to change jobs and get rid of my illicit doings quickly.

Thanks! We need as many people running full nodes around the world as possible.

rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:37:21 AM

If you plan to host anything else important on the metal, keep close eye on disk I/O. Upcoming bitcoind version solves this, but the stable 0.7.1 is really a disk hog and can cause inconvenient delays elsewhere. Even on decent 7200rpm disk, I can't play FLACs and run bitcoind at once, ionice nor libeatmydata doesn't help much.

Yes bitcoind runs fine without parameters, or package for your distro with ready to use initscript can be found (check version though, 0.6.2 from debian repo is very old).

As for mining, I doubt the servers have OpenCL capable graphics.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:46:58 AM

Servers are in separate data centers so connecting to a last node won't speed things up. If I understood you correctly all I need to do is simply run ./bitcoind with no parameters and that should be enough to help the network, is that right? I believe bitcoind doesn't require root privileges?

No root privileges needed.

Make sure to open the port for incoming connections if you have a firewall that requires it.

If bitcoind can be given a very low priority, it still helps the network.

I disagree with the poster who says that mining is necessary.  It's not, and unless you have lots of GPUs and cheap power (not premium power like you'd expect in a datacenter), it's a total waste.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 09:10:48 AM

Thanks for warning me abut bitcoind being heavy on IO; fortunately this won't be a problem as the servers are of decent specs and all they do is host websites with 2 visitors a month (on a good month); good to know for the future anyway.

Mining on the servers is out of the question. I run this experiment the other week when I was CPU mining with cgminer on 40 desktop stations in the office - I will let you guess how much I made after a week. I rather help in a meaningful way. Having said that I've got some spare money and I have heard of ASICs so this is an option but first things first. On Mon bitcoin network will be reacher for at least 3 full nodes that accept incoming connections.

Thanks
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:43:28 AM

Thanks.  I think most of these have been covered by posters in another thread.

The only other thing I would point out is that, if you have N dedicated servers, it won't help as much if they are all on the same IP network.

Bitcoin is programmed to find and connect to nodes on separate networks, to prevent someone from maliciously starting up 1000 nodes in a single data center (and then having everyone connect to those nodes by virtue of raw server count).

So, it helps if you run bitcoind on various different IP networks.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
colindean

Activity: 43

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:49:49 AM

I kinda wonder in this case if some kind of control panel for managing a large farm of
Code:
bitcoind
s would be useful. They're largely just set and forget, but I'm sure there's some need for management.
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 12:40:52 PM

As I promised two of my servers are now running bitcoin full nodes. The boxes are in separate data centers; would be more but as jgarzik said this won't help. And I love the fact that those machines are now doing something for a change: load average: 2.97, 3.78, 3.72

Thanks!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:42:55 PM

Thank you peer!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 10:01:03 PM

As I promised two of my servers are now running bitcoin full nodes. The boxes are in separate data centers; would be more but as jgarzik said this won't help. And I love the fact that those machines are now doing something for a change: load average: 2.97, 3.78, 3.72

Thanks!
If you have so much unused capacity, you can support other projects, too. For example litecoin comes to mind, as it will be easy for you since it's basically a bitcoin fork and is being used in the same way. Maybe even Tor or Freenet, but they are more risky (depending on local law enforcement).

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 10:29:46 AM

After two days of disk trashing and high load bitcoind stabilized and now is now only occupying 35% of available memory and induces almost no load. getconnectioncount returns number 37 whop whop Smiley
pistolslapper

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 11:14:10 AM

I don't think this is really necessary. I mean, tons of people already run the client. What you should do is mine with all that equipment.

Hi,

So by running a node your supporting the network but not actually making anything from the node? I thought that people that ran nodes got some small fee from a transaction they facilitated.

Giftsforcoins

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 11:38:22 AM

Hi,

So by running a node your supporting the network but not actually making anything from the node? I thought that people that ran nodes got some small fee from a transaction they facilitated.

I would like to know this as well! Also, how does more nodes help the network?

Check out my btc only store!!! GiftsForCoins.com/store

Order takeout or delivery Pizza's with BTC! PizzaForCoins.com

Hotels? Of Course!!! HotelsForCoins.com

Plane Tickets?! Duh! TravelForCoins.com
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:07:05 PM

After two days of disk trashing and high load bitcoind stabilized and now is now only occupying 35% of available memory and induces almost no load. getconnectioncount returns number 37 whop whop Smiley

35%  Shocked
bitcoin-qt uses 216MB of RAM on a laptop with 4GB, so, that's little more than 5%
Didn't you say those were powerful servers?
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 12:57:06 PM

35%  Shocked
bitcoin-qt uses 216MB of RAM on a laptop with 4GB, so, that's little more than 5%
Didn't you say those were powerful servers?

I take that back; they were powerful at the time of purchase years ago. For some reason I thought they still are.

Code:
$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2015       1953         61          0         66        826

Code:
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                  
 3752 xxxxxxxx  20   0  939m 744m 3664 S    4 36.9 515:59.39 bitcoind                                 
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:04:13 PM

Even so, 744 MB is quite a lot for bitcoind only.
Is it still syncing?
czekczek (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 01:06:25 PM

Finished syncing it's just cruising now Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: