Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:42:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: buy linden dollars without second life?  (Read 2039 times)
Wandererfromthenorth (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:14:28 AM

The official bitcoin wiki, in this page (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/VirWoX) says that you can buy linden dollars WITHOUT opening an account in second life.
Here's the passage:
"Technically, VirWoX only supports to buy BTC for Linden Dollars. However, you can first buy Linden Dollars for real-world currency, and then buy BTC for your Linden Dollars. It is not necessary to open a Second Life account to do this"

How do I do this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DanielleEber

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:25:24 AM

6.5 year veteran of Second Life here.  I don't see how it would be possible to do this.  Linden Dollar balances only exist on the Second Life servers, tied to an account name.  Even Virwox itself and the Second Life company account (named "Supply Linden") have account names.  To have an account name, you must open an account on Second Life.

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:38:43 AM

Ok thank you, I'm doing it right now.
But is it true that I can deposit my linden dollars in my VirWox account only after 30 days of my avatar creation?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/VirWoX
"Note that due to the restrictions currently imposed via Linden Labs' RISK API, your Second Life avatar must be at least 30 days old to deposit Linden Dollars into an VirWoX in-world terminal"
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:06:25 AM

6.5 year veteran of Second Life here.  I don't see how it would be possible to do this.  Linden Dollar balances only exist on the Second Life servers, tied to an account name.  Even Virwox itself and the Second Life company account (named "Supply Linden") have account names.  To have an account name, you must open an account on Second Life.

A.) If you are transferring Linden dollars from someone else, then yes -- you must register an avatar to receive them before you can send them to VirWoX to convert to BTCs.

B.) If you already have Second Life account and just want to sell your SLLs through VirWoX, then you update your VirWoX account with your avatar id, and then use the VirWox terminal in-game to transfer the SLLs to VirWoX.

C.) If instead you are first buying SLLs from VirWox and only using them to buy bitcoins, then it is all handled within VirWoX's ledger.  i.e., SLLs never left VirWox's account.  It is just a book entry.  And thus you don't need to touch Second Life or register an avatar.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:09:25 AM

C.) If instead you are first buying SLLs from VirWox and only using them to buy bitcoins, then it is all handled within VirWoX's ledger.  i.e., SLLs never left VirWox's account.  It is just a book entry.  And thus you don't need to touch Second Life or register an avatar.
It worked.
I got some bitcoins!

thank you!!!
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:23:12 AM

For a time this was the only way to sell bitcoins for paypal in a fully automated way.

I dunno about speculating with linden dollars. They are kept at a sticky price to the dollar by Linden Labs afik by matching the inflation rate.

There are a few cases I've seen where people sell scripts to run on their platform, one guy invented "pets" and sells them, their food, housing and behavior, which is a steady money flow. In a way there Second Life is similar to bitcoin where lots of people with poor economic intelligence fund a few smartasses.
paci

Activity: 500

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 09:46:29 AM

The official bitcoin wiki, in this page (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/VirWoX) says that you can buy linden dollars WITHOUT opening an account in second life.
Here's the passage:
"Technically, VirWoX only supports to buy BTC for Linden Dollars. However, you can first buy Linden Dollars for real-world currency, and then buy BTC for your Linden Dollars. It is not necessary to open a Second Life account to do this"

How do I do this?

That's true even at therocktrading, the other exchange that let you trade Second Life Lindens for Bitcoin.

You can deposit EURO or USD in different ways, convert them into Lindens and use them to trade Bitcoin.

It probably doesn't make any sense, since you can directly trade EURO or USD with Bitcoin (at therock),
but technically Lindens can stay inside rock or virwox accounts, without the need of a Second Life account.

(BTW, converting FIAT into Lindens into Bitcoin is the only method to avoid using Linden Lab Risk API).

/paci

https://www.therocktrading.com - Bitcoin exchange since 2011 - BTC/LTC/ETH/ZEC/PPC/XRP/EUR - SEPA
bettlektuere

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 01:32:15 PM

nice, ty!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: